Why I think ATYCLB sucks the big one

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
doctorwho said:

But the difference is, for you, reading one of my posts is clearly sheer delight. In contrast, when my eyes happen to have the misfortune of reading one of your banal rants, I have to wash my eyes for days and then bang my head repeatedly to forget the horrid, horrid words you wrote. :banghead:

Other than that, I love you Bear. :love:

i love you too, dr. who. that rhymes. *giggle

Well ...

Thanks for your insights on ATYCLB, but there is a little secret I want to tell you.

Sometime in 1997 (March), U2 released this little known album called POP. Ever since, they have denied its existence, or disowned it, or admitted it was a mistake. Now hardly anyone remembers POP, few own it, and those few actually don't play it anymore.

Well, what am I driving at?

Look for that POP album. If you think ATYCLB sucks big time, then I wonder what you will think about POP. After listening to POP you might probably even think more than just having the album sucking, you might even think of hanging yourself from a tree just like Judas in embarrassment after you have realized you have been a fan of a band capable of this monumentous crap.

Then again, maybe you shouldn't listen to POP. Just make ATYCLB as your "sucky" album, because things might get out of hand when you hear POP.

Cheers,

J

Re: Well ...

jick said:

Ever since, they have denied its existence, or disowned it, or admitted it was a mistake. Now hardly anyone remembers POP, few own it, and those few actually don't play it anymore.

Then why is Gone on the Best Buy cd? Why did they play Gone, Staring at the Sun, Please, and snippets of Wake up Dead Man on this last tour. On the CNN show that was on right before ATYCLB was released, Edge pointed out that while people say Pop didn't sell well, it went to number 1 in 27 countries. He said this with pride in his voice.

Those of you who don't like Pop are entitled to say it repeatedly, but the band doesn't hate it as much as you all do. Neither do a lot of the band's other fans.

You brought this up, not me

Back to bagging on ATYCLB.

Re: Re: Well ...

martha said:

On the CNN show that was on right before ATYCLB was released, Edge pointed out that while people say Pop didn't sell well, it went to number 1 in 27 countries. He said this with pride in his voice.

You brought this up, not me

Back to bagging on ATYCLB.

Edge is wrong. Pop went #1 everywhere for one simple reason - ANTICIPATION. Anticipation because of a such a long drought of no U2 (thanks to their pointless Passengers sidetrack). Anticipation because of the immense popularity of U2's previous tour (Zoo TV). All anticipation.

The fact that after the #1 debuts everywhere it went to a chart nosedive and became U2's worst selling album since the early 80's proves that once people heard it, word got around how much it sucked and everyone told everyone to avoid it like the plague. And rightfully so.

Cheers,

J

Re: Well ...

jick said:
Thanks for your insights on ATYCLB, but there is a little secret I want to tell you.

Sometime in 1997 (March), U2 released this little known album called POP. Ever since, they have denied its existence, or disowned it, or admitted it was a mistake. Now hardly anyone remembers POP, few own it, and those few actually don't play it anymore.

I remember POP. I own it. And I play it. Frequently. And I bet I'm not the only on here who does. Also, U2 has NOT denied it's existence, disowned it, or admitted it was a mistake. Watch the Much Music interview from last year for proof. Stop assuming that everyone, including the band, shares the same opinion as you.

This does NOT need to be brought up in this thread.

Re: Re: Well ...

Hallelujah Here She Comes said:
I remember POP. I own it. And I play it. Frequently. And I bet I'm not the only on here who does. Also, U2 has NOT denied it's existence, disowned it, or admitted it was a mistake. Watch the Much Music interview from last year for proof.
:up:
:heart: PoP :heart: !

Pop is the second suckiest album by U2.

I like a lot of it

- Do You Feel Loved?
- MOFO
- Staring at the Sun
- Please (single version)
- Miami

but I can do without the rest.

It's clear you think it sucks the worst out of the U2 albums. You're not alone, but I disagree.

One Tree Still said:
Pop is the second suckiest album by U2.

I like a lot of it

- Do You Feel Loved?
- MOFO
- Staring at the Sun
- Please (single version)
- Miami

but I can do without the rest.

It's clear you think it sucks the worst out of the U2 albums. You're not alone, but I disagree.
What is the 'suckiest album by U2'? :eyebrow:

One Tree Still said:
ATYCLB

IMHO

Several million people worldwide would beg to differ. And so do I. That's fine if you don't want to hear it, millions of us love it, and U2 doesn't need your approval to validate the greatness of its work. But why do you have to continually keep telling us how much you hate it? It's getting OLD already! Can't you just go hate it in your room or something??:scream: :banghead:

wertsie said:
Wait...there's such a thing as a sucky U2 album? I was not aware of this!
That was also new to me - but you learn new things everyday, don'tcha? ;)

....uh, :wave: I just wandered into EYKIW looking for an Electrical Storm mp3, and now since I've read 10 pages worth of ATYCLB debate, I thought maybe I'd say something....

I can relate to a lot of what people said earlier about ATYCLB being maybe a step back for U2, too pop-ish, not enough real rock. I pretty much agree, BUT....sometimes I LIKE it that it's like that. I don't really listen to ATYCLB a lot, but for me it's the kind of record that's just fun to sing along with, it's fresh and really helps take my mind off of other stuff. Sometimes I feel like the older stuff like Boy and War is just too raw and intense, don't get me wrong, it's great, GREAT music and I love it all to death, but SBS is not the sort of rock I wanna hear after a bad day at work, y'know? Anyway, if I still have your attention I'd like to go through it song by song like everyone else did:

BD: I love this song for more personal reasons that musical reasons. I got the single for my birthday in sept. of 2000 after I'd just started my second year of high school and I was kinda confused and frusterated and I just wished someone would say something NICE for once, and this song came along....:D

Stuck: meh. I dunno, I could take this one or leave it.

Elevation: this is the kind of song i play on full volume w/ the double bass on while I'm working out, nothing super special about it but I love it anyway, and I love the remixes better than the album version.

Walk On: probably my favorite songs on the album and favorite U2 songs, although again I like the single version better than the one on the album.

Kite: I really love this one as well, I don't really know why, I didn't at first but it's grown on me and I love how Bono sings the last verse alone live.

IALW: I dunno if there's really anything special about this one either, I personally like it but I can see where other's wouldn't care for it.

Wild Honey: another like Stuck, I could live without it.

POE: I don't mind this one much, although out of all of the songs, this one I'm most likely to skip.

WILATW: I like the overall sound of this song, it's kinda hard for me to explain, I dunno, it's just relaxing

New York: I don't care for it on the album, but I really enjoy it live.

Grace: I didn't like this one at first, I thought it was dull and boring but the lyrics are just starting to grow on me.

so there's my humble opinion. ATYCLB = prolly not my fave album, but not my least fave either

I'll go back into my box now...:wave: :reject:

Am I not allowed to have an opinion Tabby?

But why do you have to continually keep telling us how much you hate it? It's getting OLD already! Can't you just go hate it in your room or something??

If you're looking for ATYCLB love, you're reading the wrong post. I was pretty up-front about it, even in the title. :D

When ATYCLB and PoP are their worse albums, what are their bests IYHO? - FallingStar

AB and JT, with UF close behind.

I agree with Michael Griffiths.

And I do want to bring this point up: you know, musicians just cannot win. If they do the same type of music their entire career, people whine about how they aren't trying new sounds, it's all the same and gets boring.

And if they do try new things with their music, they get complaints because it doesn't sound like the usual stuff by them.

We're a very picky society, I think.

Like I said earlier, those of you who don't like ATYCLB are entitled to your opinions, and you've got your reasons, and that's fine.

I just feel bad for the musicians when they get into that kind of situation where they can't win no matter what they do.

And personally, unless I honestly felt I could do a lot better as far as music goes, I very rarely criticize an artist. People remarked that "New York" had some crappy lyrics...well, I've tried my hand at songwriting and discovered I'm a horrible songwriter, I highly doubt I could do any better myself, so if I hear a song with lyrics that most people would never consider mind-blowing, I figure, hey, at least it's something. Better than anything I could come up with. So I don't say anything.

So yeah, just wanted to say that...you can take from my post what you will.

Angela

Tabby said:
But why do you have to continually keep telling us how much you hate it? It's getting OLD already! Can't you just go hate it in your room or something??:scream: :banghead:
funny, i could say the same with all this pop bashing. of course, i'm not singling you out or accusing you of pop bashing (i can't even keep up with who has been bashing it so i won't name any names, since i can't remember any). i'm just reminding those upset about us expressing our feelings about why we don't like atyclb that some are also expressing their feelings about why pop sucks.

:wink:

Let's keep this in perspective people.

I think ATYCLB "sucks" compared to all of U2's other albums - in other words, it sucks by comparison, not in general.

I'm also not directly attacking the feelings of the band members - and I wouldn't know how to if I wanted to. I doubt they spend their time reading "ATYCLB sucks the big one" threads.

Just compare the level of songwriting to Achtung Baby and there's no comparison in my book. The weakest songwriting on Achtung Baby (Who's Gonna Ride...) would be the 2nd or 3rd best song on ATYCLB, IMO.

Remember, I speak in relative terms here.

Hi! This is my first post, even though I've been registered here for ages!

Anyway, I agree that ATYCLB isn't U2's best album.
I know that a lot of people like it - I have friends who have never really liked U2 that think ATYCLB is nice, and my mum told me yesterday that one of her collegues is always listening to it. And I listen to it sometimes, after a hard day at uni. It's kind of a feel-good record that people enjoy listening to, and I don't think that is a bad thing at all.

But if I had to write a list of my favourite U2 albums, ATYCLB would probably be my least favourite. I think that compared to the rest of U2's work, it is very safe and unadventurous. Albums like Zooropa and especially Pop are not as easy to listen to, but for me, they are ultimately much more interesting, and better. I think U2 was saying something new in those albums - and they were doing this in a new way; I know that a lot of people don't like these albums much, and that's fair enough, but you've gotta admire that! Personally, I love those albums. I like their darkness, moodiness, grittyness and uncertainty. Although I wouldn't put Pop on if I'd just got home after having a terrible day!

I think that ATYCLB was U2's reaction to how their previous two records were received. The message they probably got was that people don't always like experimentation - sometimes, they just want music that is rocking, but easily digestible and with a nice message. And ATYCLB is a great album in that sense - I think it is much better than most of the popular pop-rock out there right now.

But I hope that with their next album, U2 will really surprise me, make me think. That is something ATYCLB doesn't do. I mean, POE and Grace for example, are great songs with a great message, but the sound is nothing very new; and I know already that peace would be the coollest thing ever, and that grace is an amazing concept.

Anyway, that is just my opinion. I know a lot of people won't agree. And that's ok :)

BTW, my top 5 U2 albums are:
Achtung Baby
Joshua Tree
Unforgettable Fire
Zooropa
Pop

ATYCLB pales..

One Tree Still said:
Let's keep this in perspective people.

I think ATYCLB "sucks" compared to all of U2's other albums - in other words, it sucks by comparison, not in general.

I'm also not directly attacking the feelings of the band members - and I wouldn't know how to if I wanted to. I doubt they spend their time reading "ATYCLB sucks the big one" threads.

Just compare the level of songwriting to Achtung Baby and there's no comparison in my book. The weakest songwriting on Achtung Baby (Who's Gonna Ride...) would be the 2nd or 3rd best song on ATYCLB, IMO.

Remember, I speak in relative terms here.

ATYCLB can't hold a candle to the Joshua Tree but then again no album can. But ATYCLB is genius, is God, is king --when compared to the hapless Pop.

Ok sorry but this is just a mismatch.

Cheers,

J

?????

Zoomerang96 said:
u2 must stop catering to what their dumb fans want. please, for the love of kissing, please "rock" or something but enough of the adult contemporary PLEASE.
but all of U2's dumb fans are begging the band to "rock" or something

One Tree Still said:

AB and JT, with UF close behind.
:eyebrow: I don't know but, in your opinion there best album is more than 10 years old - and you are still a fan?

Back
Top Bottom