Why I think ATYCLB sucks the big one

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So who owns U2??I am gonna fix that person.

I can't belive it, you make one of the best albums of all time and get treated like this by your own fans.

Personally this album means so much to me.I did not belived in music, I used to think it was a waste of money.But this was such a piece of fresh air in polluted environment.I really can't put into words, but I think just because it doesnt not fit into one pattern of music does not mean it not good.When a friend suggested me this place to learn about U2, well certainly I was not expecting these things. :down:

One Tree Still said:
Song by song...

Beautiful Day - Interesting composition, good (not great) "riff", clumsy lyrics. ATYCLB rank: 4, Overall grade (in comparison to other U2 songs): C+

Stuck In A Moment - Michael Bolton will be singing this song soon. I can't tell you how much I hate this song. The video sucks too. Album rank: 11, Overall Grade: F

Elevation - This song pretty much works for me, but the lyrics sound like they were written by Lenny Kravitz. The music is great and it was sweet live, but it pales in comparison to it's beautiful sister "The Fly". Album rank: 3, Overall grade: B

Walk On - This is the best track on the album, and not 'cause it sounds like classic U2, 'cause it really doesn't sound like anything U2 has done before. It is simply a strong song all-around and it will be the one song that people remember ATYCLB by. Album rank: 1, Overall grade: B+

Kite - Can you say "November Rain"? This song is more full of cliches than an interview with Al Gore. The closing lines are almost embarassing to listen to. Album rank: 9, Overall grade: D+

In A Little While - I really like this song, but I hope it isn't the direction U2 is headed. It's a breath of fresh air after "Kite" and the guitar lick is sweet. It's very Van Morrison-ish, which is cool, but again, not the U2 I am hoping for in the future. Album rank 5, Overall grade: B

Wild Honey - A throwaway song. Should have been replaced by a finished version of "Summer Rain". The concept is so far from the rest of the album (which really has no concept) that it is annoying. The bridge is pure torture. Album rank: 10, Overall grade: D+

Peace On Earth - A lot of people dislike this one, but I think it's okay. I am very fond of event-inspired U2 songs and this one obviously qualifies. Some of the lyrics seem like they were rushed (trees:knees), but the overall vibe of the song is good IMO. Album rank 6, Overall grade: B-

When I Look At the World - This one puts me to sleep every time. Again, the ugly sister of the gorgeous "Dirty Day". The message is tired too - it worked much better on "Wake Up Dead Man". Album rank 7, Overall grade: C-

New York - Great music, horrific lyrics. I will give Bono props for giving props to the classic "Neeeew Yooorrrk" Sinatra wail, but the patched together lyrics drag this one down. Album rank 8, Overall grade: C

Grace - I like this song, save a couple lines (lips:skips:fingertips). It has all the makings of a good U2 album closer and it has the strongest message of any of the tunes IMO. It's definitely low-energy, but it doesn't try to be anything else. Album rank:2, Overall grade: B+

Okay, so you can see why I think this album sucks by U2 standards. Of course, I know that many of you love this album, but I don't and I just explained why.

Here's to U2 - they rule - but I hope they step it up next time. U2 is at their best when they put together a thematic album and wow us with their significant lyrics.

Ok, let's go:

BD - IMO this one will go down as one of U2's classic songs. A huge hit and still sounds fresh after almost two years. Like New York, this is a mix of freshness and 80's Edge guitar sounds.

Stuck - probably the most controversial song on the album: it seems fans either love it or hate it. Well, personally i think it's one of U2's most beautiful songs musically and it has a deep, meaningful lyric.

Elevation - this is possibly one of the very few times when i thought a song was "below U2 standards". I think BD delivers the message much better.

Walk on - probably the favorite song for the majority of fans (according to the reactions when clips came out). Another classic U2 song, though i prefer its "rival" single Stuck.

Kite - (reminiscent of 80's U2) one of the strongest songs on the album (makes the formidable trio with Stuck and Walk on IMO) period. It's great to hear Bono go for the high notes again too!

In a little while - a nice little duo together with Wild honey. My fave song from the clips.

Wild honey - (along with IALW): IMO it's great when U2 try something outside their typical rock-anthem-big-guitars style, and these two are a great example.

POE - i dunno - i really don't. At times i like it, and at times i can't listen to it at all. 50/50%.

WILATW: along with Elevation, the most 90's sounding song on the album. I LOVE the keyboards and i like this song.

New York: another i dunno. Could live without it on the album, but it probably gains most live from all ATYCLB songs.

Grace: again, we see U2 reach far out of the typical sounds. Ambient chill song. A fitting closer, at times though i have to be in the right mood to listen to it.

ATYCLB is my fave U2 album, and i think it's great that they made an optimistic album for once. In time, i think we will see it join JT and AB as U2's best and most memorable albums.

:banghead:

And it would be nice if people who dislike it wouldn't drag Bono's charity work into it and insult it.

Last edited:
Kazd7 said:
Personally this album means so much to me.I did not belived in music, I used to think it was a waste of money.But this was such a piece of fresh air in polluted environment.I really can't put into words, but I think just because it doesnt not fit into one pattern of music does not mean it not good.When a friend suggested me this place to learn about U2, well certainly I was not expecting these things. :down:

You weren't expecting people who disagreed with you? I happen to agree with you on ATYCLB. I love it. But it's not a personal offense to you or the band that others don't feel the same way. This is a great place to learn about U2. It would be a silly to leave over a differing opinion.

Kazd7 said:

then leave, ya newbie.

if you cant handle it, clearly you need to get out of your box.

life is full of boxes. red ones.

I really think ATYCLB needed juat one more faster paced song somewhere in the middle of the album. It is such a long stretch of slow songs between Elevation and New York. My brother, who just recently started to like U2's music, listens to the album every night in order to put himself to sleep, skipping Elevation.

Plus, the studio versions of Kite and In A Little While kind of drag, and Bono's singing on those two songs sounds strained at times. I heard that In A Little While was recorded after he was out partying late one night. Live those two songs really came to life. I really only appreciatated the album after I saw U2 in concert. The one song I still don't like is Wild Honey. I agree, Summer Rain should have gone on that album.

Zoomerang96 said:

then leave, ya newbie.

Hey, come on now. :eyebrow: That's not fair. :down: Let her say what she wants; if she doesn't like it here anymore it's her own decision to leave and not yours to remind her on it.

Zoomerang96 said:

then leave, ya newbie.

Knock it off bear.

When ATYCLB came out I put a review up on @U2. It basically says what I still think of it:

All That You Can't Leave Behind is a good album, not the best, not the worst, it's just 'good'. On first hearing I couldn't actually find any words to describe it, probably because there aren't any. It's one of those albums that you never actually come to a conclusion on, which is a bit of a pain when trying to write a review. To me U2 have taken a step backwards and that's not a bad thing. There are some really fantastic songs on the album. "Beautiful Day" is a superb rock song as is "Elevation" and "New York." I agree with Bono, the album is full of singles and to some extent that is the reason why I'm not so fond of it as, say, Achtung Baby, which is still in my mind, U2's best album so far. It was a lot more experimental, it had that "wow" factor that All That You Can't Leave Behind just doesn't have.

Bono's voice is the best it has been in a long time but those vocal chords do have their limits. There are a few songs on the album where I think that Bono could have kept his voice that little bit lower, it would have made a big difference. Overall All That You Can't Leave Behind is a very "nice" album. My suggestion to U2 would be to take a long break (from each other) after the tour, each member go solo for a while, get some new influences then come back and, as Bono put it, "dream it all up again." The best is yet to come from U2.

So there ya go!

Jo

Re: Hmmm...

Moonlit_Angel said:
Maybe this will turn out to be similar to "Zooropa" and "Pop" in the sense that some people may have hated the album at first, but over a span of years, they may start to see it as a good album.

*Shrugs* I dunno, just a thought.

Angela

That's a good point. I remember when Zooropa first came out it wasn't really that well-liked in the US, especially when compared to AB...But now it seems like lots of people love it, which is cool.

ah nope, not for me at least, I've liked these songs less over time, that's never happened to me before with any U2 album

and there's nothing left to discover there, unlike Zooropa/ Pop where the songs were layered and more difficult to digest, whereas on ATYCLB the songs are a bit thin and have long since been exposed to the bone

The Wanderer said:
ah nope, not for me at least, I've liked these songs less over time, that's never happened to me before with any U2 album

and there's nothing left to discover there, unlike Zooropa/ Pop where the songs were layered and more difficult to digest, whereas on ATYCLB the songs are a bit thin and have long since been exposed to the bone

:yes: Hmmmm...Okay, I have to agree with that too!

Re: Hmmm...

Moonlit_Angel said:
Maybe this will turn out to be similar to "Zooropa" and "Pop" in the sense that some people may have hated the album at first, but over a span of years, they may start to see it as a good album.

*Shrugs* I dunno, just a thought.

Angela

Nope, I still hate POP!

I'm loving this. Preach on preach on. I had mixed feelings about ATYCLB when it first came out ("In a little while" was the only song that grabbed me) and even though the album has grown on me - I've come to this conclusion:

With ATYCLB, U2 made a pretty pop record. The sounds were toned down, words were simplified, and everything about it was pure.

Personally I liked the dirt, edge, and darkness of Pop and ATYCLB caused me to listen to Pop directly after purchasing ATYCLB.

- z -

ATYCLB is my favourite album, but I guess I can see why some people would be underwhelmed with it, especially when it comes to the lyrics. They're simple and straightforward and if you're a sort of person who enjoys digging into the songs and trying on different interpretations then ATYCLB doesn't really have much to offer.

On the other hand, I disagree with a view that "simplicity" is somehow inferior to the "layers". I find that some of the world's best and most affecting songs have only got simple sentiments expressed in very simple, straightforward ways that shoot straight to the heart, while some of the "layered" songs (including some of U2's) leave me with an impression that they don't actually care to say anything about anything, and hope to pass for something deep and profound just because they sound vague.

I don't love everything on ATYCLB, but then, for all my love for U2, I just can't say that they've ever done an album that doesn't have -any- flat spots (and sorry, that goes for Achtung Baby, too).

Sicy said:

Is there a thread that you DONT mention how much you hate POP? Fine fine fine that's your opinion great but hearing the same thing come out of the same person's mouth in every damn thread they post in is seriously getting old and STARTS FIGHTS!

But there's a BIG difference here.

I fully acquiesce that One Tree Still is entitled to his opinion, even though I feel he is horribly wrong. ;) Analogously, GypsyHeartGirl is entitled to her opinion, even though I feel she is wrong as well. The difference though is that while Gypsy may mention her dislike more often (O.K., a LOT more often :sexywink:), she has never created a thread (to the best of my memory) for the sheer purpose of debasing "Pop." In contrast, One Tree Still did create a thread for the sole purpose of disparaging ATYCLB.

And this was Gypsy's point. We all know she doesn't like "Pop" as she has hardly kept this secret. But how would we react if she then posted a thread stating how it "sucks"? This is what is differentiating the two ideas. That is, is this thread really necessary, and if so, could it not have been titled differently?

As for Gypsy's discussion of "attacks" - are they any different from what KhanadaRhodes posted when she wrote this:
i am getting goddamned sick of all these trolls coming in to disagree with a blatantly ANTI-ATYCLB THREAD! if you like the album and want to have its manbabies, start your own damn thread. this is getting quite old.

Based on Khanada's words, perhaps Gypsy should create a thread bashing "Pop." :sexywink:

Also...

The Wanderer said:

For me, this is the exact opposite. One reason I am not such a fan of JT is that the songs now sound horribly dated and simple. Sure, there are some brilliant stand-outs, but for the album overall, there are some songs that I still skip over to this day.

In a similar fashion, not long ago I listened to "Pop" several times over the course of a few days. The first time I heard it, I was flooded with memories of 1997, when the album was released. I had fun and enjoyed it. But upon the second listening, I found the album full of holes. The lyrics and music were horribly weak at times. That album also had a more dated feeling to it. Now, I don't agree with Gypsy in that the album is horrible, but I do admit it needs work. In contrast, every time I listen to ATYCLB, I hear something new. It could be a new sound. Or a new way to interpret a lyric. But the songs seem so pure and fresh that I find it nearly impossible to put this album down.

Therefore, it really is a matter of opinion. Most people worship JT, whereas I find it one of U2's weaker moments. Many love the harder edge to "Pop" yet I find it one of their most poorly written and produced albums. Some claim ATYCLB to be over-produced, yet I have felt this way for years about JT and AB (probably AB's biggest weakness). To me, it seems that Eno/Lanois finally pulled back some on ATYCLB to give it a more raw feeling. But does anything I write here really make a difference to someone who doesn't like ATYCLB? Does anything anyone will say change my opinion of JT?

This of course, brings us back to Gypsy's comments. We are here to discuss U2. Some may get flamed a bit for their views, but as long as things are civil - even if someone is redundant - I don't see the need to scold anyone for their opinions or their questions. :D

Lastly, for the hypocritical comment of the century, we have:

Zoomerang96 said:
bono stop acting like an ass.

Ah, irony at it's most pure. :yes:

Last edited:
oh pardon me, i didnt know bono was untouchable, as he appears to be everyones father here.

i act like an ass on a message board. bono does it in front of millions.

which is more significant?

thank you.

bono - "were the best rock band in the world"

then prove it already, ya cocky sob!!!!

I think everybody has at least one album they don't like, and I don't care. But starting a whole thread to trash one album is really asking for trouble.:uhoh: :coocoo:

BTW I love ATYCLB and I'm going to go listen to it right now, and think of you One Tree Still! :D;)

It's a BEAUTIFUL DAY!!!!! :happy:

Everybody go outside, and do something that makes you HAPPY!:)

The Wanderer said:
doctorwho, keep your posts to FYM please :angry:

I told you once, I never post there. Do I have to beat this into your skull?
knockknock.gif

By the way, did I mention how much I love you? :love:

Back
Top Bottom