Why I don't like to see girls playing guitar pulled up - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2001, 07:52 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 06:29 PM
Why I don't like to see girls playing guitar pulled up

Now it's not jealousy, of course I am jealous of EVERYONE male or female that is pulled up but that is not the point. I just get so irritated with the girls wanting to play guitar, and here is why~

I think that on the first and second legs of the tour, Bono pulled up girls to hug, dance, roll, etc. I honestly believe that U2 wanted to switch to the play guitar thing to give equal opportunity to male fans. They know that guys dream of playing guitar with the band as much as girls dream of dancing with Bono. They wanted to make some of those dreams come true. They did, in Chicago, Hamilton, Baltimore and others.

THEN came 'chicks can play guitar too.' SIGH. There goes the neighborhood. Even though U2 wanted to get guys on stage to be fair and equal (I assume) when a girl does that it makes it appear non-PC and 'sexist' to choose a guy instead. So the guys are stiffed once again. Now we see mostly female fans playing guitar and that saddens me. The guys need their turn too, and I wanted to see some more of them have it. If I were Bono I would rather pull NO ONE up and just not worry about it anymore.

Being a girl I can say this and it's not 'non-PC' or 'sexist.' I think if a guy said it he would be flamed. Are there any guys on here who are with me on this? Were you thinking the same thing, like 'oh damn the 'girls' took that away from us too?' Come forward and speak your mind. I did. Rant over.

------------------
U2- The Unforgettable Fire still burns!

[This message has been edited by Veranda (edited 11-21-2001).]

Old 11-21-2001, 08:10 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:29 PM

Bitches???

Hmmm, I think oh-eloquent-one, you need to rephrase this if you want anyone to take this argument seriously....

Old 11-21-2001, 08:57 PM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:29 PM
The band LIKES women!! They are run by them, they spend inordinate amounts of time with women to whom they are not married, they (almost) all have very long-term, monogamous relationships with them, and they have many female fans. The guys in the audience can just get over it if it bothers them as much as you think it does.

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

"She's hyperventilating." --my podiatrist (about me) 10-24-01
Old 11-21-2001, 09:07 PM   #4
War Child

Okay, I was just using that as a hypothetical figure of speech of what some potential guy might be thinking yeesh!

I believe I have made some valid points here. I wish some guy would just admit he was thinking that, because I know some have. It just irritates the crap out of me and I'm a girl!
Old 11-21-2001, 09:15 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

You're assuming that this is a deliberate process on behalf of Bono....
Do you think he really thinks "Oh, it has to be a woman tonight because it was a man last night?"

I don't hear people saying "Well, he didn't pick a black person...or an Asian person...or a non-American person"...
So why must we make a demarcation of the sexes in this instance?

Old 11-21-2001, 09:24 PM   #6
Banned

Local Time: 03:29 PM
Aw, I dont know, i think i actually like it better when a guy gets pulled up. I dont feel quite as envious and am not as depressed afterwards that it wasnt me,lol! I guess I figure "Oh well, it was a guy, so I can relax." When its a girl, i suppose i feel like "Hey, how come her and not me? Whats she got that I dont?!"
Seeing a guy up there sort of ends the competition.
I still want my time up there, of course...

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert
Old 11-21-2001, 09:25 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Personally, I get ill at anyone making gender statements such as "Guys/Girls shouldn't be able to do this..."

I think gender statements in this day and age are tacky - and you never know who's feelings you are stepping on.

I say let U2 pull up whoever the hell - if they pull up a guy then they pull up a guy - if a girl - than a girl - so what. If people take it too seriously enough to feel bothered by it then perhaps they are putting way too much thought into something that is essentially very trivial. Gender statements, however, are not trivial - and I think it's unfair to both sexes to make statements that exclude any gender from doing anything. (Being a woman in the business world, I especially know how this feels, believe me)

Just my .02
Old 11-21-2001, 09:25 PM   #8
War Child

On the Zootv tour he picked guys to play guitar. Yes I'm assuming but I do think there is a reason for it. I do think they chose to bring back the guitar thing to give more male fans a chance and the girls snatched that too. I DO think that if a guy and a girl are holding up signs the girl will have to be picked to be PC and that is unfair to the guy.

The thing about this gender shouldn't do this or that DOES come into that if the girl is chosen only so no one will think they are thinking only guys can play and they have to pick the girl to make a statement and that is part of what I meant. That is what I was getting at with my first post!

Oh and mentioning gender being tacky= PC = censorship= unfair (usually to the guys)

I also agree with what Miss MacPhisto said!

Old 11-21-2001, 10:06 PM   #9
Blue Crack Supplier

Bruce used to dance with guys all the time before he made that assinine video with Courteney Cox. After that it was all girls all the time.

------------------

Old 11-21-2001, 10:33 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:29 PM
Isn't there some female country music song about "Girls With Guitars"?
Old 11-21-2001, 10:43 PM   #11
Elvis' Naughty Angel

Do you really think they give it that much thought? I doubt it. My opinion, a fan in the audience happens to catch Bono's eye and voila! on stage. I don't think he wakes up and says, during this song I am going to do this, and ahhh shit! better choose a girl tonight to be fair. He doesn't pull up someone every show.

Anyone who thinks there is any alterior motive to it is just jealous. I was soooo moved to see Julie up there on Sunday night just given 'er. Girl or guy, it doesn't matter. She could play guitar and she rocked the house!

------------------
"It's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight..."
Old 11-21-2001, 10:50 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Angel:

I was soooo moved to see Julie up there on Sunday night just given 'er. Girl or guy, it doesn't matter. She could play guitar and she rocked the house!

Yup. Well said.

------------------

Old 11-21-2001, 10:57 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Veranda:
[B]On the Zootv tour he picked guys to play guitar. Yes I'm assuming but I do think there is a reason for it. I do think they chose to bring back the guitar thing to give more male fans a chance and the girls snatched that too. I DO think that if a guy and a girl are holding up signs the girl will have to be picked to be PC and that is unfair to the guy.

The thing about this gender shouldn't do this or that DOES come into that if the girl is chosen only so no one will think they are thinking only guys can play and they have to pick the girl to make a statement and that is part of what I meant. That is what I was getting at with my first post!

Oh and mentioning gender being tacky= PC = censorship= unfair (usually to the guys)

Keep in mind that these are grown men who really don't care how it is perceived to people who might be of the mind to really truly give the boy/girl for guitar choice a second thought.

I agree with Angel - they pull up who they want to pull up to do whatever. I doubt they think much about it in the split second it takes to choose the person with whichever "Pick Me!" sign.

I'm happy for anyone who gets pulled up - and never think pulling a girl over a guy is considered PC - because that would really be thinking too much about something that doesn't really mean anything.
Old 11-21-2001, 11:56 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:29 PM
It would have all been completely different if DiamolndParrot5011 had done his little stunt on stage while wearing a tutu.
Old 11-21-2001, 11:58 PM   #15
The Fly

Local Time: 11:29 PM
I agree with you 100 percent veranda...but thing is people have this stupid and twisted view of sexism...to the point that anything that puts women on equal footing is no sexist..whether it is or not.