Why I don't like to see girls playing guitar pulled up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you've seen the Syracuse 1987 video, Bono pulls up a girl to play guitar on "People Get Ready". She is terrible, even though Bono shows her the chords. After she leaves the stage Bono remarks "Wow, beautiful and she plays guitar" then he breaks out laughing. It is a pretty funny moment.

Em,

You can't speak for every single freakin' guy on the planet. And, I for one, have a friend who played with the boys in LA... I felt nothing but happiness for her. You say you're not jealous of girls being pulled up to play guitar, but yet you posted about how they shouldn't because it's a guy thing? Wha???

Truly, Bono chooses who he wants to pull up with him. He loves to interact with the audience, going so far as kissing girls while crawling around on the catwalk, taking cell phones and singing into them, holding hands, playing with the flame of someone's lighter. If he wants to pull up a girl to play guitar with him, then he will. If he wants to pull up a guy to play guitar, then he'll do that, too. Who freakin' cares who he pulls up? It's Bono wanting to give a person a chance to live a dream. What's so wrong with that?

You said that you would prefer it if Bono didn't pull anybody up at all - well, that would be pretty boring. I personally would rather watch someone be pulled out of the audience to play with the band than watch Bono dance with a girl. The reason? Bono comes up to my freakin' belly button, so there ain't no way in hell he'd pick me to dance. It would be like Diamond Bruno carrying Bono around the stage - I'm pretty tall. So, I think if I knew how to play guitar well enough, that would be something I'd opt to try and do. And now you think that I shouldn't try because only guys should go up and play guitar and girls should go up and dance? Then, why shouldn't Bono ask a guy to go up and dance with him? Pretty stupid suggestion, I know, but it's about as redundant as your thought is on how girls shouldn't be picked to play guitar.

Moonie

------------------
If you ask me, I think it's all about drums.
Tonight the moon has drawn its curtains
It's a private show no one else going to know
I'm wanting
(If You Wear That Velvet Dress)
Hit Gurl

Some U2 fans are scary. The ones for whom joining Bono on stage is their greatest dream are a little "scary." Fans who feel slighted because Bono didn't choose them out of the 15-75,000 choices available are a LOT "scary." The fans who analyze the sex ratio of the fans pulled on stage are terrifying.
Bono nearly always pulls up men to play guitar with the band. A female fan holds up a sign saying "Chicks play guitar too" and you expect him NOT to choose her? It was clever and true and I would have pulled her up too.

MAP

Also, if the guys out there are THAT upset about Bono bringing women up to play guitar perhaps they should consider bringing a "Guys can dance with Bono too" sign to their next show.

You never know.

MAP

Originally posted by doctorwho:
I have no desire to join U2 on stage and if Bono were to offer, I would decline. It's not because I'm shy - I speak to large groups of people often. Rather, it's because of the exact reason I stated. People came to see U2, not me.

Though I find that hard to believe I respect your statement!

Just a side note... in Houston Bono also pulled up a guy on stage and gave him a big hug. You see, guys get variation, too
wink.gif

Originally posted by Achtung_Bebe:
Though I find that hard to believe I respect your statement!

Just a side note... in Houston Bono also pulled up a guy on stage and gave him a big hug. You see, guys get variation, too
wink.gif

oh good bebe....one guy gets a hug...good to see the playing field is level

HEY EVERYONE IT"S OKAY...WOMEN CLAIM IT"S EQUAL COS ONE GUY GOT PULLED UP....phew crisis averted

..why are ppl so dumb?

Originally posted by Veranda:
They know that guys dream of playing guitar with the band as much as girls dream of dancing with Bono. They wanted to make some of those dreams come true. They did, in Chicago, Hamilton, Baltimore and others.

I don't think it's a question of being PC - girls dream of playing guitar with the band too!

Also why is the ratio of men to women so important anyway, most of us won't get pulled up anyway!

I just got late breaking news that Arun V had a sex change....guess the girl guy ratio just keeps climbing.

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Ok, he is taking that "I got kissed by Bono" thing wayyyyy too serious!
Dude, Bono loves you for who you are! No need to change!
Although i do know this lovely little apartment in West Hollywood that's available...
wink.gif

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Well, I'd be lying if i said i didn't fantasize about playing guitar onstage with Bono, but its ok...
I'll catch them... backstage...
tongue.gif

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

I do think they switched to the guitar thing to give guys a chance. Seems they want to cut back on the sexual stuff, that could be why they dropped The Fly, MW, and WOWY- all really big girlie action songs
wink.gif
They likely discussed these changes before the last leg started.

------------------
~We need new dreams tonight~

As a wise man once said, "I don't know, I don't care, and it really doesn't matter"

Quit sweating the small stuff and enjoy the show. U2 certainly puts on a much more entertaining show than any group has in a very long time so enjoy the show and all that is involved in the creation of their seperation from the norm. Maybe some of you would rather they put fences up across the walks and forbid any contact with the audience members at all. This is what makes U2 who they are, they interact with the audience and feed from the audience participation. Certainly this is one way of getting the audience "into" the show. If you don't like this, buy the damn cd and listen to it at home. Oh, btw, I am Dangerous&Honest, nice to meet you guys!!

Back
Top Bottom