Why doesn't U2 do more 'Irish' music?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Sweetest_Thing

MacPhisto's serving wench
I mean, they clearly have a Celt influence in October (esp. Tomorrow), but I was just sitting here thinking about the Corrs, who have a definite Irish influence.

I know U2 is a rock band and all, but from a group that loves and represents their country to such an extent, I would expect to hear more...

------------------
*I can't see that thief that lives inside of your head
But I could be some courage at the side of your bed
I don't know what's happening and I can't pretend
But I could be your, be your...*

[This message has been edited by The_Sweetest_Thing (edited 04-01-2002).]

My thoughts exactly ST. Thats why I posted about it about a fortnight ago lol
http://forum.interference.com/u2feedback/Forum1/HTML/018609.html
smile.gif

------------------
I am a cowgirl of funk*

SHIT! Sorry Manda...didn't realize this topic had already been posted. Haven't been in this foru, much lately. Sorry.

Mods! Delete this!

Pub crawler, you will burn in hell for that comment
wink.gif

And well, The Corrs do make "Irish" music, but it's the crap leprechaun type that americans suck up in droves, U2 are far more real, they do music, and have many Irish influences, but thankfully they are good Irish influences like Van the man and Thin Lizzy and Rory Gallagher

Corrs=trash, we helluva lot more proud of U2

Originally posted by lazyboy:
Pub crawler, you will burn in hell for that comment
wink.gif

And well, The Corrs do make "Irish" music, but it's the crap leprechaun type that americans suck up in droves, U2 are far more real, they do music, and have many Irish influences, but thankfully they are good Irish influences like Van the man and Thin Lizzy and Rory Gallagher

Corrs=trash, we helluva lot more proud of U2

You sound bitter.

Originally posted by U2live:
i would love U2 to do a whole Irish Jig album next. Then a tour with step dancers, and Michael Flatley as "special guest star."

Are you serious???
eek.gif

Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing:

You sound bitter.

Not at all, just think you are eating too many 4 leaved clovers
tongue.gif
Get real, they have had many Irish influences, that doesn't mean they get out the fiddles and do a jig like U2live pointed out
biggrin.gif

The Corrs are just commercial crap, like taking advantage of a theme.

Originally posted by U2live:
i would love U2 to do a whole Irish Jig album next. Then a tour with step dancers, and Michael Flatley as "special guest star."

I?ll kill myself the day this happens!!!

------------------
I'm a bass player. That's a "singer" question. Lord Adam Clayton

"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

The Corrs are just commercial crap, like taking advantage of a theme.

but they?re nice to look at

*please notice that this comment comes from my bro!!!

------------------
I'm a bass player. That's a "singer" question. Lord Adam Clayton

"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing:
I mean, they clearly have a Celt influence in October (esp. Tomorrow), but I was just sitting here thinking about the

They're not really Irish. They're Inuit.

------------------
Atr?eme con tu est?tica
Quiebra mi conciencia
Novato sin pr?ctica
Adicto a tu presencia...

I like Celtic/Irish music. It is not all commercial crap. You can't beat a group of musicians jamming in a Pub.

Bono sang with Clannad. Their music is considered Celtic.

Originally posted by Lemon Meringue:
I like Celtic/Irish music. It is not all commercial crap. You can't beat a group of musicians jamming in a Pub.

Bono sang with Clannad. Their music is considered Celtic.

First of all Clannad are far superior to the Corrs.
Secondly, if you are referring to my opinion of the Corrs being commercial crap, well, that's all I said, I thoroughly enjoy real trad music. Many of my friends can play trad instruments, and get a good shin dig going, you'd find em in most traditional pubs here, and more often than not they are a helluva lot better than the Corrs. I actually don't mind the Corrs when they are goin at it, raw and pure, but the fact is they bring out bland song after bland song, with the same tinge of trad/leprechaun rock to it, i.e. commercial toss.

First of all Clannad are far superior to the Corrs.
Secondly, if you are referring to my opinion of the Corrs being commercial crap, well, that's all I said, I thoroughly enjoy real trad music. Many of my friends can play trad instruments, and get a good shin dig going, you'd find em in most traditional pubs here, and more often than not they are a helluva lot better than the Corrs. I actually don't mind the Corrs when they are goin at it, raw and pure, but the fact is they bring out bland song after bland song, with the same tinge of trad/leprechaun rock to it, i.e. commercial toss.

That's cool. I guess I wasn't just referring to your comment, but also to the general attitude I was picking up from others. Like that jigs and stuff were stupid music. Not everyone likes that stuff and I understand that. It makes me feel good so I like it. Just like U2's music makes me feel good.
smile.gif
I might not be expressing myself the way I mean to. The only Corrs music I've listened to are the 2 songs they performed with Bono. I don't know that much about them.

ya and bono can top THE FLY AND MACPHISTO by becomming a leprechaun and call the white house and say where is me pot of gold, PUNCK ROCK is the way to go baby.

------------------
"BONO'S PRAYER HEAVENS AIR"

ROCK, ROCK, ROCK, ROCK, ROCK&ROLL HIGH SCHOOL.
THE RAMONES

[This message has been edited by shaun vox (edited 04-05-2002).]

We must understand, just because u2 is Irish doesnt automatically make them a great trad band.

I am a huge fan of trad music. When i go back to Ireland thats all i can listen to. Even here i have Christy Moore, the Irish Rovers, and some Shane McGown stuff on my list. I would love to see U2 try a few songs but dont spend the last years of your carrer trying to do a trad alblum that will only sell in ireland and england and aussieland!

------------------
Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono

Back
Top Bottom