Why does Jon Birger of Fortune magazine hate U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cm

The Fly
In the June 9, 2008 edition of Fortune magazine (sorry I am a little behind in my reading), Jon Hirber in a completely non-U2 related article entitled 'America's Hottest Investor' says the following regarding Ken Heebner who is the subject of the article:

"He's Barry Bonds without the steroids. "He's a rock star-he's Bono," quips his Irish-born (and U2-loving) analyst Catherine Columb. Given that U2 hasn't put out a good album since Joshua Tree-sorry, Catherine-Bono should feel flattered."

Now I don't mind someone expressing their opinion but this just seems completely inappropriate in the context of this article. I think my subscription to Fortune will soon be lapsing (since I can't keep up with my current reading anyway, this was just the push I needed to get rid of something!).

Curt

Why does anyone (and there are a LOT of people who do!) hate u2? Who cares? Get on with your life.

Sounds like Catherine Columb said that about Bono, not Jon Birger.

Not that I have any freaking clue who either of them are. Or care.

who says he hates them? he's just of the opinion that they haven't done anything worthwhile since the joshua tree.

Who the hell cares, he is some writer for Fortune magazine whose writing and opinion is not even taken as anything more than a guesswork by his target audience: investors. Same kind of guy who would have gone with the trend and told everyone to invest everything in Enron back around 1998-2000. Sell magazines, that is his goal, not sound financial decisions that maximize your wealth. He'll say outrageous things, that is why much of this "expert advice" just in general is to be taken with a grain of salt, they have been wrong about any number of issues all having one thing in common: common sense suggests the opposite of what they are saying. Invest in one company or my personal favorite, real estate will stay hot forever. Those are risks, principles of diversification and cycles are as old as economic thought, who was right? Goes for any topic in life, take 'expert advice' as just one piece of the equation on things, never a substitute for common sense.

Back to the matter at hand, the statement is objectively, not subjectively false. Achtung Baby is widely regarded as one of the greatest albums in rock history, both that and Rattle and Hum showed U2 could do just about anything, make it sound good and translate it live effortlessly all with their own unique touch. Zooropa had stay, dirty day zooropa and wanderer, enough said. Pop may have been their weakest outing, but only because it did not match popular expectations for U2. It is objectively a brilliant album that deals wonderfully with the themes of darkness and decadence with a hint of hope to come. Thematically cohesive exploration of a new and distinct sound for U2, coupled with a perfect portrayl of it all through the mammoth Popmart tour. Gone, Please and LNOE are 3 of their better songs, the whole album and era suffers from the fact that the whole world only knows a giant lemon and discoteque. ATYCLB- widley considered a great album with a return to form for the U2 sound- lyrics had deeply personal touch added to by the aftermath of 9/11. Knee jerk reaction- not one of my favorites, not enough rock for me, but on closer examination, I always look at BD, Walk On, elevation, kite and In a little while and say its a damn good album. Granted it took live performances to make Elevation any good at all, but ATYCLB is a better album then any band made in 2000, that is for damn sure. Walk on, kite and in a little while are easily some of the best, most inspirational lyrics they have ever written. HTDAAB- people hate it, I love it and have never been shy about saying it here. This album thematically and through its sound is a true exploration of elements of all of U2's career, with a special focus on their early days- the lost innocence, the angst, the world at the crossroads of its existence, etc. City of Blinding Lights, Crumbs, LAPOE, All Because of you, Vertigo brought the rock back while yahweh, sometimes, original, miracle drug and a man and a woman beautifully portray the band as still being on the same journey they started in 1976, older, more life experience, different situations in their personal lives, but still humble, still with alot to learn, still with that same sense of curiosity and longing for fullfillment. Rightfully so, Bomb and ATYCLB did very well in sales, in the critics' corner, at the Grammys, etc. U2 has won more awards and sold more albums post Joshua Tree then they did up until then, that is a fact.

Birger is entitled to his opinion on U2- he can dislike them all he wants this is a free country. However, he is not entitled to his own facts and is objectively wrong in his statement. Look at almost any other band(I have seen alot of bands in the job I do) throughout history and U2 is objectively the better band regardless of one's personal opinion. They are just that good, and many people I talk to that have no particular allegiance to them have told me that in honest moments.

Birger is entitled to his opinion on U2- he can dislike them all he wants this is a free country. However, he is not entitled to his own facts and is objectively wrong in his statement.

This was exactly my thought. How could someone making a career out of giving advice be so wrong in the only comment in that whole story that really gives you an insight into Birger's personality. I think Birger truly does hate U2 but was forced to grudgingly accept The Joshua Tree. In any event, his opinion of U2 means nothing to me but to splatter it in the lead story as he did makes me wonder why?

I probably overreacted since I had just spent $100+ on the Amazon Boy-October-War package and a handful of singles to help fill in my collection. Money much more wisely spent than following any advice Birger ever gave!

In the June 9, 2008 edition of Fortune magazine (sorry I am a little behind in my reading), Jon Hirber in a completely non-U2 related article entitled 'America's Hottest Investor' says the following regarding Ken Heebner who is the subject of the article:

"He's Barry Bonds without the steroids. "He's a rock star-he's Bono," quips his Irish-born (and U2-loving) analyst Catherine Columb. Given that U2 hasn't put out a good album since Joshua Tree-sorry, Catherine-Bono should feel flattered."

Now I don't mind someone expressing their opinion but this just seems completely inappropriate in the context of this article. I think my subscription to Fortune will soon be lapsing (since I can't keep up with my current reading anyway, this was just the push I needed to get rid of something!).

Curt

What makes this really bad is that some of us big U2 fans do not consider JT to be anywhere near U2's best album. So that really makes this guy seem like a rube.

I hate U2

Bono's a fag

Yea, that's right

What are you gonna do about it?
ozeeko, discussion or speculation about the band members' sexuality is not allowed. you might not have meant that as "bono is a homosexual" but that's how a lot will interpret it, and regardless that's a very offensive thing to say.

It was written with smile :) I respect every people thougths :)

But you say it as if it's unusual. For many people (I'd argue the majority of people), The Joshua Tree is far and away considered the band's magnum opus.

ozeeko, discussion or speculation about the band members' sexuality is not allowed. you might not have meant that as "bono is a homosexual" but that's how a lot will interpret it, and regardless that's a very offensive thing to say.

Um....I was not speculating or discussing Bono's sexuality. I was joking around to prove a point, the point being that it's stupid and pointless to get all riled up about someone's opinion of U2. Everytime someone in the news is quoted saying "i hate u2" or something to that degree, someone here starts a thread about it. I'm just saying...who cares!!? Is it so inconceivable that there are people out there who hate u2? And why does that make them lesser human beings? Anyone offended by such comments should seriously grow up and get a new hobby.

Back
Top Bottom