why does he pronounce it "bon-oh" instead of...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOFO

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
..."boe-noe"?

why?

sonny bono used to pronounce is "boe-noe"; they're both musicians and involved in politics...one of them's gotta be wrong.

yeah, but how do you explain why cher is such a great interpreter of u2 songs?:eyebrow:

ok, but then how do explain why the edge pronounces his name "the edge" and not "dave"?

:eyebrow:

JOFO said:
ok, but then how do explain why the edge pronounces his name "the edge" and not "dave"?

:eyebrow:

..because Adam says if you really get to know The Edge you can just call him 'The'

JOFO said:
..."boe-noe"?

why?

sonny bono used to pronounce is "boe-noe"; they're both musicians and involved in politics...one of them's gotta be wrong.

Is it true, Bono once got into an elevator/lift with Sonny Bono, neither said anything, but as Sonny got out, he said "Bo-no" and walked out, kind of in a gruff manner?

TheFlyOnTheWall said:

And what's with the Italian? :eyebrow:

I'm not sure if that's a serious question, but in case it is....

Sonny (born Salvatore) Bono was of Italian descent. In Italian, the vowels are pronounced the same, hence "boe-noe". That is the "correct" pronunciation.

And yes, Sonny Bono did correct (our) Bono's pronunciation of his name while getting out of an elevator. Great story.:wink:

But what about Bono in Irish Gaelic pronunciation?

You say potato, but I say VODKA. :wink:

well. you really care for this?

anyway, it's great he used bon-"o" vox -- this is not correct, in latin you should say bon-"a" vox, because vox = voice is a feminine noun.
Now, keep in mind that nowadays "bono / bona" is a sort of soft dirty word in italian... it means hot guy in a sort of slung.

I remember reading that b-man chose his name because of the round sound it had -- so maybe that's the reason why they pronounce the name that way.

it means hot guy in a sort of slung

What's "sort of slung?"

Interesting stuff about the Latin, though! I wish my school had offered it as a foreign language option.

corianderstem said:

What's "sort of slung?"

Interesting stuff about the Latin, though! I wish my school had offered it as a foreign language option.

I'm sure she means "slang". And of course the store from which the name was taken actually DID have the correct Latin, Bonavox hearing aids. I guess Bono chose to masculinize it.

As with 'Unos, Dos, Tres, Catorce', there might have been drink involved.

Long live Bono Vox of O'Connell Street X

Actually, I refuse to say "Bon-o." I try not to say the name out loud but when I have to, I pronounce it wrong. It just feels better that way. A casual U2 fan. :wink:

How does anyone even know the Latin pronunciation? I took a Latin class... for a bit, not that I remember anything... and I thought the idea with Latin is no one has fuck all idea how it's pronounced nowadays, except that however it was pronounced must have influenced the pronunciation of the "vulgate" regional spoken variants that eventually evolved into romance languages. The modern conventions for pronouncing Latin are just modern conventions.

Lots of people know the Latin pronunciation because it includes most European languages. For example, Italian and Spanish.

And one more thing.... How can someone pronounce their own name wrong?? If it's your name, you can fucking pronounce it any way you fucking want! My name is still pronounced MEE-gan, even though the spelling might suggest Megg-HAN. This topic is stupid. :madspit:

(Sorry if that sounds meaner than its meant to be, I just get very annoyed when people say my name wrong, and I guess that annoyance translated itself to other peoples names too.)

Last edited:
What?

But how do they know the original Latin pronunciation? That's circular reasoning, assuming the current Spanish and Italian pronunciation is the same as the original Latin just because they sound like the way academics pronounce Latin today.

I mean maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see how anyone knows the pronunciation of a language whose spoken form died or morphed completely into a variety of child languages thousands of years ago.

Chizip said:
because that's how its pronounced in it's original Latin form
Nope. That's how English-speaking people pronounce Latin.

The truth is, English / American people don't know how to pronounce Latin. Instead they pronounce it like English.

Listen, for example, to an Englishman pronouncing the Latin word "sanctorum". He'll probably say senctowoom (the 'w' representing the English way of pronouncing an 'r').

The correct pronunciation of a Latin "a" is, however, like in "ah". And the correct pronunciation of "r" can't be explained to native English-speakers, as it doesn't exist in English. Likewise "o" is pronounced as "oe".

---

The correct Latin pronunciation of Bono is therefore Boenoe. :)

Back
Top Bottom