Why do we need U218 when HTDAAB is basically a singles album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canadiens1131

ONE love, blood, life
I was thinking back about How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb today. Originally I loved every track on it, then I grew to hate just about every track on it, and now I've got a bit of clarity.

What was that quote from Bono...something along the lines that HTDAAB wasn't more than the sum of its parts and it pissed the hell out of him. The track listing is full of well-crafted, carefully constructed, very polished songs, but for some reason they don't form something wonderful when put together on an album. There's no place to catch your breath anywhere, save for One Step Closer.

It's interesting, because just about every song on the album could pass for a single on adult contemporary radio, but as far as a complete album I prefer ATYCLB by quite a bit nowadays. In that respect, Bomb is a lot like a Franz Ferdinand album - I can't listen to the record all the way through because it has little or no redeeming qualities as a continuous album, but taken separately the songs all stand extremely well on their own.

Last edited:
You didn't address U218 in your post at all. Tease.

Anywho, U218 was an unecessary release any way you look at it, and the only songs from HTDAAB that I still spin regularly are COBL and OOTS.

That's what playlists are for.

Edit: Actually I don't spin any tracks from HTDAAB; I've got the single version of both songs in my "heavy rotation" playlist.

Last edited:
HTDAAB >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ATYCLB

And not because HTDAAB is great. It's good, not great.

ATYCLB :down:

roy said:

HTDAAB >>>>> oh hang on......I've just realised I'm no longer in nursery.

Well, I am.

HTDAAB >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ATYCLB

ATYCLB is structured the same way artists used to structure their albums in the 50's; put all the singles up front and "everything else" in the back. In other words, ATYCLB is just as much of a singles album, except it's done poorly.

FullonEdge2 said:

well, according to the thread's title it does....:eyebrow:

the threads title alludes to the fact that how to dismantle an atomic bomb is a singles album just like U2:18, rendering the release of U2:18 unnecessary because we just got a singles album in atomic bomb in the authors viewpoint.

therefore, the comparison hath been made in the title and clarified in the post, needing no further use for U2 18 in this thread.

anyway, I love how to dismantle an atomic bomb. but i do agree that the songs are better than the whole album, if that makes sense. but the songs are damn good and in the end thats all i care about- good songs.

LemonMelon said:

Well, I am.

HTDAAB >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ATYCLB

ATYCLB is structured the same way artists used to structure their albums in the 50's; put all the singles up front and "everything else" in the back. In other words, ATYCLB is just as much of a singles album, except it's done poorly.

AHHH enough "HTDAAB > ATYCLB" crap...this is not a thread that has anything to do with ATYCLB!!! AHHHH

ok rant is done

anyways...

i used to love HTDAAB as a whole, but now i play certain tracks from it here and there...this discussion is based on personal preference

prideofzootv said:
wow another HTDAAB bashing thread, this makes what? the 584638th thread about it?

Oh, don't worry. The HTDAAB appreciation threads will begin as soon as the next album comes out, and the "HTDDAB was a forgotten classic" threads will begin in about 7 years.

LemonMelon said:

Oh, don't worry. The HTDAAB appreciation threads will begin as soon as the next album comes out, and the "HTDDAB was a forgotten classic" threads will begin in about 7 years.

LOL, excellent point. I'm looking forward to it. :wink:

LemonMelon said:

In ten years, Larry will be frantically trying to claim U2 don't even have an album called How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb and a Classic Albums documentary will be made about Pop. :happy:

Axver said:

In ten years, Larry will be frantically trying to claim U2 don't even have an album called How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb and a Classic Albums documentary will be made about Pop. :happy:

:lol: :up:

Axver said:

I'd buy it:wink:

LemonMelon said:

I'm really interested to see what will happen with Bomb reputation once the next album comes too.

I remember ATYCLB got the venom and cesspool by the buckets when it came out, and it's doing significantly better now.

I remember people saying that ATYCLB is like a demo album of HTDAAB......because HTDAAB was so much better.... now it has levelled up I guess....

Bomb is better anyway.... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom