Why do U2 play UTEOTW at every Gig?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NShaik

The Fly
Does anyone else wonder why U2 play Until the End of the World at every single gig they play? I mean its a good song, but there are better songs.

Considering songs they've dropped from their set, its weird that Until the End of the World hasn't been dropped.

I'm not saying they should never play it, but at every gig seems excessive - I don't see why they don't play a different song from Achtung Baby (besides the ones they usually play). Like Ultraviolet - that's a wicked song, which really lends itself to the live shows - why don't they play it.

Just seems a bit odd to me. Like why did they ever sto playing Love is BLindness? That was a beautiful live song, should never have been dropped.

Anyone else agree with me?

------------------
Watch More TV, ITs your world you can change it, taste is the enemy of art, Every thing you know if wrong, mock the devil, and he will flee from thee
www.geocities.com/nshaikspike/evil.html

I love it to death.
biggrin.gif
It is also a GREAT song for the Elevation tour, with the heart and all. I would not be surprised if they dropped it on the next tour to give it a rest.

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

It's great! I think the reason they played it at every show on the Elevation tour is because it became part of the act with the bullfight at the tip of the heart. COOL.
That's also when he jumped into the audience at most shows. If you were there when that happened, the song will always give you chills for that as well as its obvious greatness.

On a related note: yesterday the entire Jesus of Nazareth miniseries was played on the History Channel and I watched it. When it got to the Judas part, it was impossible not to think of this song. I have always loved it, but finding out that meaning made it even deeper, more intense and more awesome to me. It rules!

I love that song. also. It is one of my favorite U2 songs. Also, it is a song that I hardly ever hear on radio. So, I think it was good to show how great a song it is to more casual U2 fans. That said, I wouldn't mind having a different Achtung Baby song take its place at some of the shows. But I'd rather leave out some of the overplayed ones such as Pride.

YARRRR because it kicks bloody arse mate!!

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Jesusssssss!!!!!!!! This is JUDAS!!

what an amazing song- plus it really plays well to their live theatrics, as well as carries out some intense themes that are deep seeded in U2's music.

Love Is Blindness is WAY too dark/heavy to be played live. they've left that behind, for now...

------------------
She never really belonged to me

U2 Take Me Higher

As far as I am concerned, UTEOTW is a U2 staple, just like WTSHNN. I for one, hope they never drop it. I could never tire of the theatrics they present with that song, it RAWKS!
biggrin.gif

It's probably really fun for them to play that song. They must really enjoy it.

------------------
"Yep...Silver and Gold!!!" - Bono

We'll Shine Like Stars In The Summer Nights...

I was also at the 5-13-01 Chicago Mothers Day show and I can honestly say I didnt miss it one bit.

Great song, but it has been played to death live. They need to give it a rest for the next tour IMO. Along with Bullet. Unless they attach Running To Stand Still right after it as it should be played.

Actually, the Mother's Day 5/13 show (which I was also at, in the heart!) was the only Elevation show that UTEOTW was not played. So 112/113 is a pretty high %. I did miss it, it works so well live and the theatrics are great.

I agree with Blue Room that it probably wouldn't hurt to give it a break on the next tour. However, I can find a number of even more worthy early retirement candidates ahead of this song, notably Pride, SBS, Bullet, and WOWY. And yes they can play Bullet again if it is followed by RTSS as God intended.

I too was at the Mother's Day show. And I...didn't notice.
eek.gif
But then again, I was so pumped to hear the Pop songs they played, that I was pretty much on a high.
biggrin.gif

oh and I concur with Hawkfire...Bullet/RTSS is the way that nature intended the songs to be played.
wink.gif

I cant believe this question even needs to be asked, I would say that 95% of hard core U2 fans would be angry if they dropped it from their set.

I don't see why. There are so many other songs which have been dropped, which would be just as good:

One Tree Hill
Running to Stand Still
A Sort of Homecoming
Please (full band)
Discotheque (played occasionally - When I was there, and they played, it was fucking amazing, especially with Staring at the Sun at the end)
Lemon
Ultraviolet
Love is Blindness
October

Any one of these is just as good as UTEOTW, but most of them never get played anymore

------------------
Watch More TV, ITs your world you can change it, taste is the enemy of art, Every thing you know if wrong, mock the devil, and he will flee from thee
www.geocities.com/nshaikspike/evil.html

U2 - Elevation Tour 1st leg: North America

2001-05-13: United Center, Chicago - Illinois

Setlist:
Elevation
Beautiful Day
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Stuck In A Moment
Kite
Gone
Discoth?que
Staring at the Sun
New York
I Will Follow
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Sweetest Thing
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
All I Want Is You
Where The Streets Have No Name
Mysterious Ways
The Fly

Encore:
Bullet the Blue Sky
With or Without You
One
Walk On

I don't see any UTEOTW there. I only know this because I was there
smile.gif

Thank you. And Oh yes, the song kicks major arse. "Love love love ...."

~z~

------------------
" You love this town - even if that doesn't ring true. You've been all over, and it's been all over you " - Bono

" Don't you know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk " - Tom Waits

UTEOTW rocks ! I love Bono's antics during that song and the bullfight is amazing !

I would have been disappointed if they hadn't played it at the shows I went to.

[This message has been edited by Naya (edited 04-03-2002).]

Hard to believe this was the song I used to skip on AB when it first came out. I don't remember at what point I fell in love with it, but I think maybe ouizy is right--shaking my butt to that riff may have been what did it. I love it and I would miss it if they didn't play it. But I'm sure I'd get over it the way I have gotten over how every time they sense I'm in the audience they don't play Bad.

And yes they can play Bullet again if it is followed by RTSS as God intended.

Can I get an Amen?

I feel that the only song from AB that could replace UTEOTW and not make me mad, would be the complete, 'who's gonna ride your wild horses'....I would love to be there when they do horses again....maybe someday...

And yes they can play Bullet again if it is followed by RTSS as God intended.

Can I get an Amen?

<b> HMMM.... nope. </b>I loved that sequence too, but please, if ever a song could be dropped, it is Bullet. It needs a rest.

UTEOTW rocks in part because the live version is so more exciting than what one expects after hearing Achtung Baby.

Originally posted by Blue Room:
I was also at the 5-13-01 Chicago Mothers Day show and I can honestly say I didnt miss it one bit.

*slaps Blue Room with a large trout for daring to disagree with DoctorWho!

Seriously, I felt that the song added a HUGE energy bolt to the concerts I saw with this song as opposed to the concert I saw without it. So I think it should stay. It would be like not hearing "Streets" (although I know some fans would probably like that too).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom