Why do people hate elevation?? (WARNING: Spoiler)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
its a cheap, throwaway, pop/rock song with weak lyrics and is unimaginative musically with boy-band production. That is not what I expect or want from U2. I liked it all right when it was new, it is a catchy song, but it just got old so fast.

on the album...not my favorite. i like the remixes better.

but live, i think this song rocks ass. when they opened with it on the Elevation tour, it kicked ass and set the tone for the whole show. and two days ago in san diego when they sang it...it was probably the most fun to sing along to.

evenbetterthan said:
I think it's a great song, not just in an upbeat, psyche the crowd up song! who says U2 need to be serious all the time???? It's a bit of fun, but in a special way that only the lads can do it! but at the same time, there is a very definite message
"Love, lift me up out of these blues,
Won't you tell me something true
I BELIEVE in you"

big deal. there's messages in every post at this message board, too, you know. it's hardly poetry.

i'm all for fun songs. i love them. britney spears, kylie, justin timberlake - you name it. they're good times, because they're not trying to be something they're not.

elevation is awful no matter how you look at it.

...Cos it sucks!!!

:wink: no. I like singing along to it and doing the whoo whoo's. I can't argue that it has mediocre lyrics though.

Zoomerang96 said:

i'm all for fun songs. i love them. britney spears, kylie, justin timberlake - you name it. they're good times

:ohmy: :no: :faint:

Well, Toxic is a catchy little ditty I'm sure you'll agree :wink:

I remember reading an NME or Melody Maker when Joshua Tree came out and Bono said "streets" had the most banal lyrics he'd every written (meaning the first 2 lines).

Hey why do you think these 2 songs are so rockin'? It's to cover up for the crap lyrics!!!!! :D

Not every song has to have a deeper meaning. Not every song has to have profound, poetic lyrics. Yeah, "a mole, digging in a hole" isn't U2's best lyric ever. But WHO CARES? A lot of U2 fans set this really high standard for songwriting. Me, I don't care. Elevation is pretty low in terms of U2 songwriting, but overall it's decent (lyric-wise). Musically? It's fun. It's rock. It gets the crowd going. C'mon, how can you not love singing along to the woohoos? Lighten up, people. Elevation is great and I can't wait to see/hear it live!

I like Elevation fine as long as I mentally block out the lyrics.

The song sounded awesome on the last tour, but I just listened to the audio of the first Vertigo show, and that version of Elevation sounded really, really flat. :|

to be honest, all the mp3's sound really flat to me.

it's the opening night though, everyone knows how much everything improves as they get back in the groove.

You know, between "I love a song" and "I hate a song" there's quite a big number of other feelings.

I don't care about this song... but is it "hate"?

Zoomerang96 said:
to be honest, all the mp3's sound really flat to me.

it's the opening night though, everyone knows how much everything improves as they get back in the groove.

Didn't take long.

The song's "fuzzy" opening drew people in slowly, but when it kicked back the the hard rock sound - the whole house was jammin'

Definitely had the crowd on its feet last night :up:

I have always enjoyed this song. Whether it has deep meaning lyrics or whether it's a catchy throw-away song. I'm not sure that even U2 wants to have to write every song with such deep meanings. Pop songs can be fun, and that's what "Elevation" is. Nothing too deep, all about picking the crowd off it's asses and making them go "Yeah"!! I don't have a problem or even see a problem with that.

Those of us who need to make a deep connection with every U2 song will hate this, and I think that's what we have here.

Oh god, I hope it's on the list when I see them...

I've always adored Elevation. It was the song that made me sit up and take notice, so I guess it's faintly special. And it's just my kind of music, so I hope they play it for me. I can't see them playing it badly, unless they're simply not in the right mood to give it the energy it needs.

I like Elevation. I can't say it's one of their best songs but it's not a crap song. Everyone has the right to have their own opinion and I guess an agreement on this can never be reached. The ones who like Elevation will keep on loving it and the ones who hate Elevation will keep on hating it.

I like exhaltation, therefore I like 'Elevation'.

I like the feeling of soaking up life, therefore I like 'Elevation'.

I like the rebuke of the empty character who dominates Pop, therefore I like 'Elevation'.

Layton said:
I like exhaltation, therefore I like 'Elevation'.

I like the feeling of soaking up life, therefore I like 'Elevation'.

I like the rebuke of the empty character who dominates Pop, therefore I like 'Elevation'.

haha!

u2fan2004!!! i should have known!

welcome to the board, buddy.

Back
Top Bottom