WHY DO NON U2 FANS HATE Bono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2girl said:
It's the deadly "celebrity with a cause" mix, also he tends to have an ego when talking about U2's music.

Yeah, to a lot of people thats true. They think its easy to campaign for justice when you are worth millions and adored by millions of people.

non U2 fans?
fans of who? identifie them please.....
i truly dont think Bono can be hated, sorry but just dont believe in it

I wonder sometimes if guys are especially intimidated by Bono because he’s the complete package. He wears his heart on his sleeve in a way that might violate the macho vibe of rap, or other rock acts like Nickelback.

Its a combination of people saying U2 is over rated and they hate when Bono says they are the best band in the world it really gets under peoples skin. Some dont like the causes but most hate it most when he says they are the best band in the world, because nobody else does that pretty much in such forward terms anyway.

But I agree with him they are the best band in the world...but I can see where non fans wouldnt like that.

thelaj said:
I think Bono is a cool guy, but LemonAid posted this earlier from a recent interview in The Observer:

"I'm over the concept of rebel music but I'm not over the idea of rebellion, especially against yourself, U2 are so lucky as a group it's like we've robbed the bank of Monte Carlo, it's been a bit of a charge and plenty of people have fallen off the wagon train but the important people are still on board, it's not about getting bigger it's about getting it right, but I've a hunch it's going to get even bigger, I think it might be time for a departure with the next album, I think we can make some extraordinary music, get some of that otherness back we had in the Nineties, the pot-smoking fans of Sixties psychedelic music are dreaming up the 21st century, he's quoting Keats, that truth is beauty, beauty truth, and there's a place on the Spanish steppes where...."

Now to me, THAT is exactly why people hate bono.

"I think it might be time for a departure on the next album... get some of that otherness back we had in the Nineties...pot-smoking...psychedelic..."

:drool:

Pleeeeease take us back to the sonic terrain of Zooropa

first of all i am a U2 fan of the old stuff (1980-1997). after POP they became a bit lame.
i don't hate boner, but i can't stand his habits and mannerisms. all that big gestures and his pathos. i fully understand people who don't like him too much.

jacobus said:
first of all i am a U2 fan of the old stuff (1980-1997). after POP they became a bit lame.
i don't hate boner, but i can't stand his habits and mannerisms. all that big gestures and his pathos. i fully understand people who don't like him too much.

Pop - old stuff - lol

don't times change

1. They are very bitter Ian McCulloch didn't get Bono's success.
2. They find him annoying (and to be honest, he does tend to prattle).
3. They hate his nickname.
4. They find the music turgid, bland, and stale and therefore hate the musician.
5. They confuse him with Richard Clayderman.

I never got it either. Honestly, the world is a better place because of him - he does good work and he doesn't boast about it either, nor even brings up all that he's done (unless someone mentions it to him in conversation). I say God bless him and hope he continues to do what he's doing. He's an inspiration to me and I'm glad there's a rockstar out there with a positive moral conscience.

Re: Re: WHY DO NON U2 FANS HATE Bono?

Bono's shades said:

What music forums do you visit? At the Bruce Springsteen board I visit, Bono is almost as loved as he is here. I also visited a general-interest type discussion board yesterday and there were a lot of people there who were saying how happy they were that Bono was one of the Time Magazine people of the year (There were some haters as well saying the usual "he's a an arrogant ass" line, but it was pretty much 50/50).

Believe me, Bono is far from being the most hated celeb out there.

As far as why some people do hate him - well, they don't know him as well as we do. And I have to admit, even though Bono can be wonderfully articulate sometimes, other times I listen to him speak and I just roll my eyes because he sounds like he's trying hard to sound poetic and just ends up sounding pretentious. And his claims of U2 being the best band out there is bound to tick off fans of other bands.

The criticism that always pisses me off is that he's just into the humanitarian stuff because he has a big ego and wants attention and publicity for himself. :rant: The only reason I can think of for people making that accusation is pure ignorance.

It's pretty universal for many hard core Stones fans to hate Bono and U2. I'm a huge Stones fan and I go onto a couple fan sites as frequently as I go on the U2 sites.

Here's a link to today's rant about Bono thread on www.iorr.org:

http://iorr.org/talk/read.php?1,314452

Re: Re: WHY DO NON U2 FANS HATE Bono?

Bono's shades said:

Believe me, Bono is far from being the most hated celeb out there.

As far as why some people do hate him - well, they don't know him as well as we do. And I have to admit, even though Bono can be wonderfully articulate sometimes, other times I listen to him speak and I just roll my eyes because he sounds like he's trying hard to sound poetic and just ends up sounding pretentious. And his claims of U2 being the best band out there is bound to tick off fans of other bands.

The criticism that always pisses me off is that he's just into the humanitarian stuff because he has a big ego and wants attention and publicity for himself. :rant: The only reason I can think of for people making that accusation is pure ignorance.

I totally agree with this post. I, as a U2 fan for some years now, can understand why Bono may not be everyone's cuppa tea. But you know, whenever a certain celeb or public figure means a great deal to you you tend to be very sensitive to criticism to him/her. When you are a celeb, people dislike you for dumb (or sometimes totally inaccurate) reasons. No exceptions. You have to remember, no one who doesn't know Bono personally really hates him as the person he is, they just hate an image of him that comes across.

Catman said:
I never got it either. Honestly, the world is a better place because of him - he does good work and he doesn't boast about it either, nor even brings up all that he's done (unless someone mentions it to him in conversation). I say God bless him and hope he continues to do what he's doing. He's an inspiration to me and I'm glad there's a rockstar out there with a positive moral conscience.

I agree!
Also, I think people are afraid of emotion.People would rather have ironic detached music.(that's why I didn't like Bono's 90s persona, a reaction to the drubbing he got in the 80s, I'm glad he is not afraid now)Or they are so cynical about the world that when Bono comes and persuades world leaders to do the right thing, this is just too much for them to bear.Bono has helped me feel more hopeful about the future despite all the bad that has been going on.
"Touch me
Take me to that other place!"

Whenever someone bashes Bono, I just say, The guy's trying to get rid of world poverty. What are you doing?

SiW87 said:
I suppose when you are -unquestionably- the biggest band in the entire world today, the most popular band, not only the greatest live act today but of all time, an album that is a smash hit throughout the world, huge singles, helping to end world poverty, and being Time's Person of the Year... I suppose you can be

Amen my friend.

I particularly love:

"the biggest band in the entire world today"

"the most popular band"

"the greatest live act today and all time"

"an album that is a smash hit throughout the world"

AND

"huge singles"

bits!

:lol:

And on a serious note, the reason that they hate him is pure envy - there is very little wrong with Bono - he does much good outside of being in U2.

I worked with these guys that love Metallica and hated Bono -

but I could see that -

those groups don't really go together -

and Metallica fans are generally immature tough guys -

especially if "Kill Em All" is still your favorite album of all time and you are 43 years old.

BluRmGrl said:
Because they are tasteless, ignorant trolls with no knowledge of the world beyond their feeble eyesight. :grumpy:

(Actually, it's like YellowKite said - people who don't keep up w/the band & Bono ONLY hear about him when he gets press attention for meeting a dignitary/politician - and then they have to wonder "WTF"???. )

I agree with your post - 100% - I could not have said it better!:applaud:

the most common answer i've heard is that they think bono has a huge ego, based mostly on the fact that he's the only one from the band you see all the time, based mostly on his charity work. :shrug:

frankly, most people i've spoken to from the baby boomer generation, like a lot of people i work with, who aren't neccesarily fans of u2, think that bono is terrific and have the utmost respect for the work he does.

It's good to have people disliking Bono, too.....................otherwise it would be a very annoying thing.
Even we "common people" have other people disliking us, why should this not happen with Bono. I mean, it's normal, iyt's the way how life goes, there are ones who like you, other who don't.
There are ones you like, ones you don't like.......................that's it

hes an easy target i guess:
he's got a stupid name from when he was 14, wears a stupid hat and silly sunglasses and preaches at people... add to that the fact that he's part of the biggest band in the world, knows it and isn't afriad to remind everyone, is a figurehead for large political movements, commands and receives respect from world leaders, wins accolades and more respect from world leading media bodies for his humanitarian work, all the while releasing a Number 1 album and touring with the most successful show of all time... and he generally speaks in sentences longer than this one.
jealousy makes you nasty and everything Bono does, especially considering the contradiction between rock and roll and politics, makes him a soft easy target.

in fact someone started at me today about it, the conversation went something like this:

"how you can like that prat... all that preaching about poverty and he's got millions in the bank"

"well thats just ignorant. how about you go take a little look into what the annual debts of one 3rd world african country are and then tell me how you think Bono's tiny millions are gonna help"

"yeah...well.. he's called Bono for chirst sake. what a twat"

it ended there.

really, if you could be bothered to pick at the arguments of those who fight against Bono you'll generally find they haven't got a leg to stand on.
most of the time i just couldn't be bothered though.

I think non-U2 fans tend to confuse. Bono's stage and public persona. With the person he really is. We as listeners know that there is a very compassionate and sensitive side to Bono. But, he may not be projecting this part of him. To the rest of the world.

I actually find his "ego" as being funny! Paul making fun of Bono.

^ *Stabbity Stab*

I honestly don't understand it when people make digs at Bono, I mean, for a rockstar he does 100% more stuff for others than anyone else. I was watching Never Mind The Buzzcocks and the host was talking about requests that celebs make (some of them were really random) - anyway, he then said "and Bono, he doesn't ask for anything, just a wrench so that he can get his head out of his arse every so often"

To me he doesn't appear particularly stuck-up for a rock-star... or is that just me??

Total U2 Nut said:
^ *Stabbity Stab*

I honestly don't understand it when people make digs at Bono, I mean, for a rockstar he does 100% more stuff for others than anyone else. I was watching Never Mind The Buzzcocks and the host was talking about requests that celebs make (some of them were really random) - anyway, he then said "and Bono, he doesn't ask for anything, just a wrench so that he can get his head out of his arse every so often"

:lol:

Yeah, at least he can recognize that his head gets up his own ass sometimes and takes steps to remove it. Most celebrities have their heads stuck up theirs ass 100 percent of the time and are oblivious to it.

I was in JoviTalk today and they didn't seem to have much respect for U2. They were talking about a British poll that ranked the top ten bands. U2 was like 6 and Bon Jovi was 9. They were up in arms about that saying that Bon Jovi of course should be higher than U2. I wouldn't have been in JoviTalk if I didn't like Bon Jovi, but thats just bullshit.

Also the other day I was at my uncle's house. I was watching the Chicago DVD on my computer. I was in the middle of Elevation when theres no music and Bono was singing with the crowd and my uncle said someting like "Oh that sounds terrible theres no sound, I hope it sounds better on the stereo!". When I was about to explain to him that it was a quiet part of the song he left and said something like "I have never been much of a Bow - no fan, he doesn't sing, he chants". I was about to say something along the lines of F U but thought better of it......

Headache in a Suitcase said:
the most common answer i've heard is that they think bono has a huge ego, based mostly on the fact that he's the only one from the band you see all the time, based mostly on his charity work. :shrug:

frankly, most people i've spoken to from the baby boomer generation, like a lot of people i work with, who aren't neccesarily fans of u2, think that bono is terrific and have the utmost respect for the work he does.

:yes: He IS a boomer.

I'm a member of a movie forum which included an off topic area were we was discussing our favourite types of music.

The thread was titled "Who is your favourite singer/group?", so I put Bono/U2.
As soon as that was posted I was surrounded by posts that said "wtf do you like them for?" and "I'm fed up of him thinking he's always right and telling us what to do" and stuff like that.

One poster said that they are "stupid immitations", I'd love to know who U2 are immitating??

I tried my best to defend U2 and their causes, I even said "they're a lot better than some of the crap thats in the charts nowdays".

The admin said to me he was going to ban me if I kept on going on about.

After a few days the thread was deleted.

Which makes me more glad that I've found this forum!! In fact this forum has 20x more members!! :up:

Lancemc said:
I don't think I'd consider anyone trying to save the lives of millions of starving children a "twat".

what about Bob Geldof?

I love Bono, but he does get in people's faces too much from time to time. I can see why non-U2 people wouldnt like him. It also has alot to do with the glasses! He's too old to wandering through the White House with those things on!

The great thing about him is tho...he knows all this and laughs at himself!

I was doing a search not long ago and unfortunately it brought up this Bono-hate community. The only thing they talked about was how much they hated him, and they obviously knew nothing about him. They spent most their time talking about the ways they would kill him. Really disgusting. I got out of there fast. Why do people like that even bother? I just don't get it. :(

Back
Top Bottom