Why did they release IGWSHA as a single?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They should've had it like this:

1. Mofo
2. Disco
3. SATS
4. LNOE

and imo they should've re-done IYWTVD and released it as a B-Side

1. Gone (release it in early March 1997)
2. Staring At The Sun (release it in July 1997...brilliant summer single)
3. If God Will Send His Angels (release it in late November 1997)
4. Please (release it in January 1998)
5. Discotheque (release it in June 1998. It would have given the album a shot in the arm, for better or worse)

Last edited:
I think I'm one of the few to not mind "Miami" at all. I don't hate it. It's not wonderful, especially Edge's boring guitar, but I quite like the catchy beat and kinda like Bono's lyrics. Under-developed, but I much prefer it to Discotheque or If God Will Send His Angels (Thank goodness for the song abreviation FAQ.), which actually contain melodic elements I dislike.

You people do know that an album is better served by singles that have memorable melodies, correct? In no way should Mofo have ever been released in that regard, unless it was just for DJs.

I'd also say the same thing about Gone, which while extremely powerful in the course of the album, is not exactly what I would call catchy.

Last Night On Earth, has a decent melody in the verses (especially in the second part, which could be considered the bridge), but it has a loud, shout-out chorus that would have sounded great had it received airplay. It's not the strongest song on the album but the idea is to get the attention of the listeners without driving them away, which Discotheque did to an extent, and which Mofo would have done even more.

Good video, but Gone should have been the single instead. Mofo should also have been a proper single, infact it should have been the lead single.

Back
Top Bottom