Why are you such a devoted U2 fan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AliEnvy

Refugee
Ok so this question has been answered a million times here...sorry, haven't got any time to browse archives for the most original and articulate answers lol.

I'm going to be asked this question very soon and honestly I'm at a loss as to an intelligent, well thought out but succinct answer.

But I have often read others thoughts that have mirrored my own.

Please help me!

Hmmmm:hmm:

I am a devoted fan, because I have purchased every album on vinyl and cd (twice in some cases) also every cd single since WOWY(including the AIWIY single off of ebay, which was a bitch to find!)

+ A copy of the U2:3 Vinyl

I defend Bono and his good cause work, to everyone who I meet that calls him pretentious or arrogant.

I NEVER slag a song or album that the band has produced - I enjoy every song of theirs I hear. Of course, some I dont listen to as often as others (Im looking at YOU Red Light) - but none the less, when I do, I enjoy the experience.

I have spent seemingly vast amounts of money on U2 items/gigs/Clarence staying - and this, I would NEVER do for any other band or singer that I like.

U2 take up a beautiful section of my room.... :drool:
...and even The Clarence Memorabilia has it's own shelf!

I had the JT tattooed on my arm 5 years ago - and have never regretted it.

I shall support, listen to, and love this band until I drop!:rockon:

Last edited:
If you mean what turned us into devoted fans, then the answer for me is The Joshua Tree.

No, no all answers are relavent cause they are personal. But I guess I'm trying to dig a bit deeper than how big your collection might be or how much money you've spent.

What is it about their music or about the band members themselves that keeps you listening or going to great lengths to see concerts?

What does the music and/or band mean to you?

They make me happy, pure and simple. :heart: Anything that makes me happy I try to surround myself with.
I crave their music and can't get enough of seeing, listening or reading about them.:up:
I also think it's "THEIR" devotion to us their fans that I admire. I've just never known so much about any other band as I know about U2.
(and yes I will say it, they have always looked marvelous) :flirt:

Last edited:
The music was intriguing the first time I heard it and I set out to hear more. The more I learned about who U2 was and what they stood for the more I loved them. I spent a while buying up everything I could afford on eBay for a while til I decided that was enough for a while. No other band has been so exciting and so real for me. I've been a fan since 1987 and I don't intend to quit. :wink:

Unlike the majority of the industry, their music is meaningful and they are very creative.

Personally I find that is a very difficult question to answer. I've tried answering it before and I can never put it into words.

I remember reading an article on the atu2 site after Matt had been asked a similar question...some of his comments really hit home with me, I knew exactly what he meant...might be of use to you as well

http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=3035&Key=&Year=&Cat=12

Last edited:
I am because I am, I wouldn't be myself if I wasn't, if I remain true to myself, I always will be:wink:

UKTan said:
Personally I find that is a very difficult question to answer. I've tried answering it before and I can never put it into words.

I remember reading an article on the atu2 site after Matt had been asked a similar question...some of his comments really hit home with me, I knew exactly what he meant...might be of use to you as well

http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=3035&Key=&Year=&Cat=12

Holy crap...that was me yesterday lol. Great article...and helps me understand why I can't explain it either!

:up:

The two best days of my life were the two days I have seen them live. They make me happier than most anything else. They are amazing guys who have made amazing music for so many years :up:

But yes, it's really hard to put it into words!!

What first drew me in was With or Without You on the radio - just the power and emotion of the music. I'd never heard anything like it before. And then I heard more of their music and got the same feeling from it. And learning about the band members and realizing what amazing people they are probably sealed the deal if it wasn't sealed already.

There is value that can be found in U2's music that is worth listening to because it can help me be a better person. It is also worth sharing and spreading the music to other people so they may also take value from the music and let it touch their lives.

Cheers,

J

tough question...

all i can say is that the music touches my soul in ways that no other music does. the music feels like home to me--it's an intensely spiritual connection. the music inspires me, challenges me, lifts me up when i'm down, connects me to what matters most.

i fell in love with 'bad' when i was eight, and there was no going back.

:heart:

When I was young, I didn't really enjoy music much. I liked a little here and there, but then eventually I discovered U2. Their music was different than everyone else's to me. It clicked well with my brain, and just seemed to have something to it that no other music had.

Hi!

It's in the music........but I would not call myself a devoted fan.....just a fan. Plus I'm a member of other fan clubs too....but I like the music and the performer{s}...to me that's good enough.

I guess the devoted ones buy all the CDs and books and DVDs and concert tickets and tee shirts and...and.....and.....and.......

carol
wizard2c
:|

UKTan said:

Agree. It is indeed very difficult to put it into words. I think I can say: because I need them, I have found solace in their music for almost 20 years, despite the barrier of language in the very beginning of my fandom. Their music have always touched deep inside me. Best answer I can give you is: because I need U2 in my life.

MT

Back
Top Bottom