Why are you a member of U2.com?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
joined for the ticket presale. in my naivity expected first choice on the best available tickets, not seats 2/3's of the way back in an 80,000 capacity venue. For the other shows i attended, i resorted to ebay - so don't know why i bothered with the presale anyway.

regarding the forum - i believe that the sheer volume of members of u2.com allows the terminally stupid the dominate the posts. Whereas on this forum the many intelligent and witty contributors are not diluted in the masses.

merchandise - i used the discount for a poor quality t-shirt.

exclusive content - haven't seen anything available worth praising, with the exception of willies contributions.

other membership benefits - keychain (useless), Cardboard cd sleeves (ok).

will i re-subscribe? no

am i bitter? no, just feel that a band who have always offered more than the rest, and have fans more loyal than the rest, should be able to run a fan club/site that reflects this.

1. Was a propaganda member
2. Frequent poster at original Zootopia
3. tickets
4. hoping for something along lines of Melon or Hasta la vista baby.

Will I renew?

Probably, I quite enjoy the boards, the band member's sub-forum and individual band member's sub-forums are where I usually post.

Obviously I don't really know the people I'm talking to on a message board, but there are people who I'd consider online buddies. Has a more laidback feel compared to other forums I participate in.

I can tell you why I'm NOT... I'm a poor student and can't afford it. :( I don't know if it'd be worth the money, either - what do you guys think?

Aardvark747 said:
I like U2

Not good enough, Aardvark. Answer the questions. I actually thought about kindly asking people not to post answers like this, but I thought that people were mature enough so that it wouldn't be necessary :wink:

Now, please, answer the questions :grumpy:

dsmith2904 said:
Since many of our memberships are coming up for renewal in the next few months, we should start writing to PM and Signature Networks to let them know about our displeasure with the whole membership set up. If they see that a lot of people won't be renewing, things could change.

This is definitely a good idea :up:
Organising a list of who has sent letters to PM/SN might be a good idea, to motivate others to do the same (on this website, at least).

I signed up for tix. Waste of money. Seeing all the videos was cool; but after downloading them all, there's not much more of interest for me. My girlfriend is in the Dave Matthews Band (yuck!) membership site. She has to pay $40 as well. But she gets exclusive live CD's free with renewal, a free mousepad, lithographs, updated band news as well as priority tix (that aren't through ticketbastard). And their store has a lot of exclusive merchandise that changes regularely. For her, it's worth it. She says that the DMB site sucked the first year too until they got their act together. Maybe U2's will as well. But I'm allowing mine to expire. If it improves, I'll be back.

To get me back they'll need:

1. True priority ticketing (not done through ticketbastard)
2. Exclusive CD's
3. A much better store (you should be able to buy any new release from the store, regardless of what country you are in. Or at least for a fee, download those internationally released tracks a la iTunes.
4. More news updates
5. More video/audio content from shows/performances.
6. More band interviews (I could care less about Willie Williams)
7. More pics from throughout their entire history
8. More of their videos (there's still about 6 early vids that haven't been posted)

Also I think a classifieds section would be cool where fans can trade/buy/sell official U2 merch like radio promos, T shirts, etc.

I joined for getting tickets...I suppose I might might might have considered joining for the clips and diaries and such even without the presales if it was cheaper, but at 40 bucks a year I'm pretty sure I would have passed.
I used to try to spend some time over there on the message boards for discussions, but it was always crashing, so I stopped..

I've tried once or twice to go back over and check out zootopia again, but I can't even figure out how to post...it's a terrible interface.

If they're not touring next year I'm pretty sure I wouldn't renew my membership unless it came down in price pretty considerably, like by half, or unless they basically offered much more substantial benefits, like multiple 10-dollar-off coupons per year on buying their dvds or something...I mean, I am trying to live on a budget and if I'm going to buy the Vertigo dvd and the live-8 dvd and back-catalog dvds, then *something*'s gotta give, no?

cheers!

Because I like wasting money :|

No, like everyone else, tickets....and actually I was luckier than a lot in that I was able to secure 2 ga in one of the presales

Ahhh those were the days; so many dates, so many presales/regular sales/propoganda sales/etc. that it was freaking insane. I can't even remember how many times I tried for tickets :crazy: there was so much and it was so hard to keep track of it all....:huh:

why you chose to be a member in the first place - tickets, and I got my two, big whoop

whether the site has lived up to your expectations - no

whether you are considering renewing your membership - nope

How often do you browse the site? - not as often as the people I've chosen to share my p/w and log in with

What have you gotten out of your membership? the allotted 2 tickets, a couple videos and audio stuff. The site is too hard on the eyes, hard to navigate and to read with the teeny tiny print and isn't maintained well.

I got the urge to join because I bought the Propaganda book, and I wanted more.

The promises of easier access to tickets was very tempting, but by the time I joined, they said, "Due to unprecedented demand, new members will not be allowed access to ticket presales."

I joined anyway, because I wanted the articles, the videos, the discount (I'm a sucker for a bargain and I thought the 25% off was forever, not just one purchase, still worth it though)and the key chain -- I was under the impression I would get a membership card (with my name on it or something to show it was mine, even a number would have been good) AND a key chain (which i imagined to be circular rings like the target, that kind of spun independantly of eachother, with 'U2' in the middle), but instead I got an awkward mixture of the two.
I'm not crying about it, but I wanted a card or something to show off and say "Look how big a fan I am. I'm a member of U2.com."

That being said, i do enjoy the articles and most of the exclusives. I do wish I could be included in the presales, but I realise that's more my own fault than u2.com's.
I don't know if I'll sign up again next year, its a long way off, and I'm not sure how I'll feel about it then. If my membership ran out tomorrow though, I would join again.

I enjoyed watching the exclusive video content as well as the song videos. When that was no longer FREE ... I decided to join U2.com first and foremost because I didn't want to "let go" of being able to continue to SEE those videos.
I managed to grab the membership in time ... as I was NOT denied tickets to the presale. Although I had my headaches with that ticket fiasco just like everyone else did, I don't believe it will happen again in the future since U2 has knowledge of their website error and also Larry's apology to the fans overall ...
I would definitely renew my membership again so I could get a better opportunity with tickets for future tours and continue watching the video content.
Actually, I rather enjoy occasionally checking out U2.com, just to see if there's any new video content or just to see some of the CLASSIC videos from the past shows they have performed on.

Back
Top Bottom