Who's singing in Lemon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

astepcloser24

The Fly
In Zooropa's "Lemon," who is singing? I think Edge is singing the majority of the lyrics. Bono (I know this for sure) sings "...like I'm slowly, slowly, slowly slipping under... like I'm holding onto nothing."

Then "a man makes a picture, a moving picture, through the light projected, he can see himself up close" - this begins with someone whose voice I don't recognize.

"And I feel like I'm drifting, drifting, drifting from the shore, and I feel like I'm swimming out to her." - Bono

So yeah. Is this the only U2 song where Bono isn't singing the majority of the song? Geesh.

Bono sings all the lyrics of lemon, apart from the "A man makes a picture" parts. He uses his falsetto to do this.

U2's song with the least of Bono in it is Numb, also from Zooropa. Edge sings the lyrics, with Bono, again using his falsetto, saying stuff like "I feel numb" and "Too much is not enough" in the background.

There's also Van Dieman's Land, who is all Edge.

The "a man paints a picture....." part is sung by Brian Eno and The Edge. I'd know God's, I mean Brian Eno's voice anywhere!!

To summarize...

astepcloser24 said:
In Zooropa's "Lemon," who is singing? I think Edge is singing the majority of the lyrics. Bono (I know this for sure) sings "...like I'm slowly, slowly, slowly slipping under... like I'm holding onto nothing."

As it's been said, Bono is singing the majority, using falsetto, so it's completely him on that transition from "And I feel" to "like I'm slowly slipping under"

Then "a man makes a picture, a moving picture, through the light projected, he can see himself up close" - this begins with someone whose voice I don't recognize.

That would be The Edge. That's what his voice generally sounds like.

"And I feel like I'm drifting, drifting, drifting from the shore, and I feel like I'm swimming out to her." - Bono

Yes.

So yeah. Is this the only U2 song where Bono isn't singing the majority of the song? Geesh.

No, because he does sing the majority. - Seconds, Numb, Van Diemen's Land are the three with Edge.

On Numb, Bono only sings "Too much is not enough." Edge, obviously, "sings" lead, and Larry sings "I feel numb." On Miracle Drug, Edge supposedly sings a verse (can't tell which one) and Bono sings the rest, with Larry on backing vocals the whole time. These are the only two U2 songs with three members providing vocals. On Seconds, Edge sings lead up to the bridge part with the guy shouting military orders to the kids, then Bono takes over. I think this is all true, but I can't completely verify it.

u2thewho said:
On Numb, Bono only sings "Too much is not enough." Edge, obviously, "sings" lead, and Larry sings "I feel numb."

This isn't true. Bono sings the "I Feel Numb", with Larry(and even Adam on the new mix) singing backup on that line.

u2thewho said:
On Numb, Bono only sings "Too much is not enough." Edge, obviously, "sings" lead, and Larry sings "I feel numb." On Miracle Drug, Edge supposedly sings a verse (can't tell which one) and Bono sings the rest, with Larry on backing vocals the whole time. These are the only two U2 songs with three members providing vocals. On Seconds, Edge sings lead up to the bridge part with the guy shouting military orders to the kids, then Bono takes over. I think this is all true, but I can't completely verify it.

Bono sings "I feel numb," Larry speaks it.

Edge sings "Beneath the noise/beyond the dim/I hear your voice/it's whispering/in science and in medicine/I was a stranger/you took me in" iin Miracle Drug. Larry's backup vocals are just the "oh's during the middle part of the song. (see it on Chicago DVD)

I thought they were both tenors?

Edge does start Seconds on his own, but they do the chorus and the "atomic bomb" verse together.

I think I'm bumping this--Am I bumping this up? I think I am. Sorry, if it's a problem.

Bono is a tenor. As with a great many singers, as he's gotten older he's gotten weaker in the upper range and can only reach it on a good day now. This probably has a lot to do with the fact that he didn't concentrate on proper singing technique when he was younger.

Edge is also a tenor.

So is Larry.

Sergiodino said:
A questio: Edge is a tenor and Bono is a baritone?

Bono is definitely not a baritone. He's a tenor and Edge could be considered a counter-tenor.

Back
Top Bottom