Who's producing the new album??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_acrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Whose producing the new album??

Does William Orbit have the honors of producing? Or does Eno/Lanois again? It'd be nice for them to try someone different. Although Every album U2 makes without Eno/Lanois (Rattle and Hum and POP) seem to flop. So, we'll just have to see if U2 can make it happen without Eno and Lanois. "Electrical Storm" and "Hands" seem pretty good, so we'll see what comes from it.

PS- I am well aware that Steve Lillywhite produced U2's first 3 albums. The first album Eno/Lanois produced was UF. Since then, every album they haven't worked on of U2's has "flopped".

Hrm. Good question.. I'm not too sure they've released this info as of yet. :scratch: I'll have to research...

I would love to see Eno/Lanois (spelling:no: ) but if they were to have someone else i would like to see either Bob Rock or maybe Rick Rubin, but why mess with something that is great like Eno / Lanois.

RickFly said:
I would love to see Eno/Lanois (spelling:no: ) but if they were to have someone else i would like to see either Bob Rock or maybe Rick Rubin, but why mess with something that is great like Eno / Lanois.

:up: I really hope they stick with Eno/Lanois!

Why not bring Steve Lillywhite back in as a producer? He already comes back in to put finishing touches on their best songs (WTSHNN, MW, BD, etc.) so why not give him another crack at an album? Members of U2 have said that they're looking to make a rock record, yet they seem to surround themselves with people who like to use lots of synth layers like Eno and Orbit. I think that Lillywhite would do a fine job at producing a straight rock record.

Hopefully Orbit will have nothing to do with it. He's ruined enough U2 songs already. Eno and Lanois are both brilliant, but I thought ATYCLB was overproduced. The production on the MDH soundtrack, which was more Lanois than Eno, was perfect, though, so I think maybe Lanois alone should get a crack at the next one.

I think they should also try Mike Hedges for the mixing, he does the job as good as noneone else now, they say... And he also has been some producing lately... Hmmm....

Re: Whose producing the new album??

The_acrobat said:
The first album Eno/Lanois produced was UF. Since then, every album they haven't worked on of U2's has "flopped".
Actually, Rattle and Hum (the album, not the movie) didn't flop at all. It sold an insane amount of copies - somewhere around the 9 or 10 million mark.

As for whose producing this record, here's what I just wrote in the "New Album 'Predictions' Thread" in the Where The Album Has No Name forum:

...Neither Eno nor Lanois will produce the record. Mike Hedges is a safe bet, but I wouldn't be surprised if an entirely different producer emerges on the scene. I remember Bono saying he wants to work with The Neptunes, though I can't see it happening just yet. I love the work that Nigel Goodrich does for bands like Radiohead and Travis, but I don't think his style fits too well with U2. He produced the "Hallelujah" version of 'Walk On' and, though I like the piano sound of the opening, I found it too distilled (for U2). One thing about U2 that is tough to get away from - because it's always worked so well for them - is the "muddy" sound. They build a wall of sound, that somehow blends beautifully into a wash of sonics and feeling. Goodrich tends to "compartmentalize" everything into discernable layers. U2 has ventured into that territory with Flood on Pop and, though it was a welcome change there, I don't think it's the most flattering sound for them, generally speaking - not with Goodrich anyway. Their whole sound would change, and I think that certain indefinable quality - that intangable that makes U2's sound so unique - would be missing. That's just my opinion, mind you.

I say bring forth Colplay's producer, Ken Nelson, and have Edge work with him! I think that would be brilliant.

Last edited:
Sorry I didn't read it in the other thread.

Michael Griffiths said:

I love the work that Nigel Goodrich does for bands like Radiohead and Travis, but I don't think his style fits too well with U2. He produced the "Hallelujah" version of 'Walk On' and, though I like the piano sound of the opening, I found it too distilled (for U2).

Funny, I really liked that version. I liked the "rougher" (for lack of a better word) production on it, where you could hear everything on the record. I love Bono's vocals on that one, and the piano at the beginning knocks me out!

Lanois has said he's taking a break from producing, he wants to work on solo records/tours.
So maybe just Eno? Doesn't seem too likely though.

Lillywhite has a thing with producing more than 3 albums with a band... or at least he did in the 80s. Who knows though...

I'd be good for Flood :)

At one point Bono mentioned that they were working with Richard Rainey, who did work on ATYCLB, but he didn't say in what capacity. :|

It would be interesting if they produced themselves....or have Edge be the producer. Just a thought.

Nuts... as I was scrolling down the list I was getting my hopes up that I would be the first one to bring up this point, but then senrab goes and blows it for me... if it's not gonna be eno/lanois... the only man i want to see doing the producing for any future U2 album is the man that even his mother calls...
THE EDGE

Since U2 has already said that this album will sound like The Who, why not have Daltrey and Townshend produce it? This is probably very unlikely though.

U2fan42 said:
Since U2 has already said that this album will sound like The Who, why not have Daltrey and Townshend produce it? This is probably very unlikely though.
I read (in the Spin article) that it was only the new song, 'All Because of You' that sounded like The Who. Did U2 say the whole album will too?

I want something different from U2. While I am a fan of Lanois, I wouldn't want to see him produce their next album. He's too safe. Sure he was there when they created Achtung Baby, but they had to fight him the whole way. I cringe at the thought of another ATYCLB. Good album, but not their best, IMO.

IMO, the Eno/Lanois combo is essential. The Eno/Lanois records seem to have more balance. I am a big fan of Lanois' solo work as well. I saw him live in L.A. 9 years ago and he did a version of Love is Blindness that was unbelievable. He introduced it by saying that this was song that was written by a friend. My one fear is that Lanois has said that he is concentrating on his solo work for the moment. His solo album was originally set to drop in 1/03, but now I've read Fall '03 which would conflict with (hopefully) a U2 release about the same time.

My hunch is that it will be Mike Hedges if it is not Eno/Lanois.

Last edited:
I personally have been anxious for at least a decade about the next Lanois solo record. I hope he continues working on that.

Re: Sorry I didn't read it in the other thread.

martha said:

Funny, I really liked that version. I liked the "rougher" (for lack of a better word) production on it, where you could hear everything on the record. I love Bono's vocals on that one, and the piano at the beginning knocks me out!

i love the piano intro

yeah edge should do it!

that piano intro to walk on is in the original also... they just have more production, such as bono with the "love it's not the only thing the only baggage you can bring blah blah" lines over the top of it, so you can barely here it... they just brought it out on the goodrich version... but I still hold true... I want The Edge! :edge:

the soundtrack hands version and the acoustic stuck were edge productions... and the better versions of the two songs, IMHO

Last edited:
soundtrack hands was an edge production?! awesome! (you have no idea how many times i mispelled "awesome" while trying to say that)

acoustic stuck was mixed by lillywhite, but i didnt see a production credit on the cd anywhere

I wish it could be Chet Atkins.....

....back to reality.

Someone mentioned Bob Rock...Bob Rock rocks imho. He told a funny story about a recent unofficial Metallica gig he was involved with.....they might be good someday.

I trust Eno and Daniel....
whoever I accept
whenever?...asap...please......via Oz!

i guess i shouldn't even count the acoustic stuck, 'cause there really isn't a whole lot of producing on that song... it's just bono singing and edge strummin' the ol' 6-string... but i just thought i'd throw it in there to help my case, even though it doesn't really count... on another subject, i seem to ramble on without a point more often since they put it in... hmm.

I'd personally love Edge or Mike Hedges to produce the new record. Eno/Lanois seems too 'safe', like others have said.. however.. who knows? Maybe they can put them in a new direction. Lillywhite is an interesting idea -- I'm indifferent to it. I wonder when they'll announce who they will work with.. :scratch:

RickFly said:

Rick Rubin :yes:

Bob Rock :no:

Back
Top Bottom