"Who's gonna ride" appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AcrobatMan

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Song of the week "sentimental" by Porcupine Tree
Dear Interferencers,

We have had album appreciation thread and such thing but this thread is about appreciating "who's gonna" . I heard this song more than 2 years when I absolutely hated this song and when i thought this was the worst song U2 has ever made. Its amazing how things change. Pretty much similar to Amnesiac growing on me. But then thats radiohead and i will comment on it some other
time.

I dont know what happened ( may be its my personal life) but all that changed in last week. in the last 7 days i must have had heard this song 100s of times. I just love this song. I am just obsessed by it, I think .I just rediscovered U2 through this song. The song is just amazing..the lyrics haunting ( bono ..my all time favorite lyricist)...assuming bono has wriiten it.

If i am in a queue I just hum "dont turn around". People think I am a weirdo but the its ok with me.

Thank you for reading this :wink: . I just needed to tell this to someone, write to someone, someone who can understand what i am talking about.

AcrobatMan

Last edited:
WGRYWH is one of those songs that has a fond place in my heart. I grew up knowing the song, but I never knew what it was called or even who it was by until I got Achtung Baby. I can still remember putting on Achtung Baby for the first time, going to track five, and exclaiming "U2 sings this?!" Same story with Dirty Day ...

I like this song, too. The lyrics are really good-my favorite line is the end one: "Who's gonna take the place of me?"-it's a very vulnerable line, and you feel bad for the person in the song.

I always get an image of a beach with beautiful white horses running in slow motion on it when I hear the song, though. :shrug:.

Angela

I love all the songs off AB.... this one is ofcourse amazing too.... there's just one line "Baby, can we still be friends" that always bothered me. Also, they shouldn't have cut my favourite part of the song for the radio mix.

What part got cut? I'm not familiar with the radio mix ...

Edit: Well, I am because that's how I knew it all these years, but I haven't heard it for ages - last time I heard it was before I was a U2 fanatic - and so I don't have any recollection of how it differed. So really I should've said I'm not familiar with how it differs to the AB version.

Last edited:
I remember reading in an interview somewhere, Edge was asked if there was one song he thought they could have done better on? He said WGRYWH. My first thought was HOW! can it be improved upon. then again, he and Bono are perfectionist. I love it just the way it is... :heart:

Mr. BAW said:
Mr. BAW checking in with his favorite song!! :up: :yes:

I like you more and more with each passing day! :up:

I'd hug you, but I think BAW is about to get a restraining order against me...:wink:

sue4u2 said:
I remember reading in an interview somewhere, Edge was asked if there was one song he thought they could have done better on? He said WGRYWH. My first thought was HOW! can it be improved upon. then again, he and Bono are perfectionist. I love it just the way it is... :heart:

edge also said in an interview once that it was his least favorite U2 song.

i am not going to be an ass by bashing kat and mr baw's fave song, but this is one song i am not personally too fond of. i find the lyrics to be a bit too cliche and obvious. i agree with edge.

This song is really a great song, despite of what many people (including members of U2) say about it. Not the best song they've ever written, no, but I'm going through a breakup, and I really can relate to the lyrics right now.

It's one of those songs where I'd give it a B-

my interpretation of this song is about a feeling of despair for a girl who has ivory skin, who the singer is fond of, who the singer is good friend of (they have done things for each other) and who the singer is worried about whats going to happen to her and who the singer is going to miss because he is going somewhere else..or something like that.

.....still, I was glad that first time I heard it once again during the Elevation Tour; was it on the Fall Leg???? Great song!

I really like this as well and I am always surprised when I hear these comments that the band was not ever happy with the version that was on AB. It is a very visual song for me I usually imagine riding horses along the beach. :reject:

I think it was perfect when tey played it live. Right after all those big songs at the start of the concert. UTEOTW fading into Who's Gonna Ride was awesome. It was played so beautifully and when Bono could nail the high note it was just as uplifting as One.

Back
Top Bottom