Who's been a U2 fan the longest?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

learn2kneel

War Child
This thread is to see who has been a fan the longest. I was kindof wondering if anybody here was a fan of U2 before War came out or even right after Boy. Did anyone even hear of them before 1980?

You get major bonus points if you were a fan before they were called U2.

learn2kneel said:

You get major bonus points if you were a fan before they were called U2.

You get major bogus points if you claim to be a fan before they were called U2!

hah, i'm kidding, i just had to do that

I got Boy the day it was released because my boyfriend worked in a record store and brought it home and said check this out. What do I win other than the old lady award?

joyfulgirl said:
I got Boy the day it was released because my boyfriend worked in a record store and brought it home and said check this out. What do I win other than the old lady award?

awesome

you'll at least win a thumbs up :up:

Well I haven't been around forever, I'm only 24...but I did have U2 played for me while I was still in the womb in....Mom was a big fan....there a pic somewhere with her and those big old headphones....So I think I could win a prize for earliest possible exposure to U2 in life....:wink: :laugh:

I had a home room teacher in high school, Mr. Cooney, who saw their second American concert at the Bayou in Washington, DC, and hung out with the band afterward. He said he knew he was witnessing something 'important' when they took the stage and blazed through the set. Mr. Cooney is the longest running fan I've known.

Last edited:
My sister saw them at Bogart's in Cincinnati, OH during the Boy tour, and she wasn't even a fan (but I notice she still remembers it). I've been a fan since War, I think...right around that time.

Fan since late '80, first saw them in 1981.

I'm OK with my penis size, thanks for caring.

I first heard "Boy" on a local college radio station in 1980, went out and bought it and loved it!:wink:

I saw the band perform on the Tom Synder TV show in 1981 and immediately began my lifelong journey as a U2 follower. And I have never regretted one moment of it.

ALL BECAUSE OF YOU....

:adam::larry: :edge: :hug: :bono: :love:

I think Fake Edge has been a fan the longest

HAHAHA funny
makeout.gif
:tongue: :evil: :lol: :censored: :flirt: :hmm: :blahblah: :crazy: :coocoo:

I was born in 1985, so obviously I couldn't have been a fan since Boy.

The earliest U2 song I remember is Desire (which I didn't actually identify as a U2 song until much later). The only other U2 song I remember before starting to listen to U2 is Mysterious Ways.

I was first aware of U2 when they came to Chicago in the summer of 1997. Two of my older brothers are huge fans (though I think I've surpassed them). I lived downtown with my folks and my little brother, and my two older brothers (who lived in the suburbs with their mom) came into town to see U2 at Soldier Field, a little under a mile away. Nobody thought to themselves, "Gosh, I bet Gavin would love this," so I wound up only being aware that my brothers were off to see U2. I guess I knew they were a rock band, and I was able to hear a little noise from the concert that night, but I wasn't interested.

For Christmas in 1999, I was looking for a gift for one of the afforementioned older brothers. Knowing of their U2 fandom, when I came across the Best Of 1980-1990, I bought it, thinking it was perfect. Of course, he already had it, but I didn't know that. He didn't show up for Christmas, either, so I never gave it to him. It stayed on a shelf in my room for months.

One day in the fall of 2000, I was looking for something to listen to. At the time, the only music radio I EVER listened to was the oldies station at night. Remembering the U2 CD I had bought for my brother, I finally figured that he hadn't shown up to claim it, so it was rightfully mine. I put in my CD player.

And I was hooked.

I didn't listen carefully. I never do on the first listen of anything. But I knew I loved what I was listening to. I started carrying my CD player around with me, and listened to the Best Of and the B-Sides almost constantly on the train to and from school. I had no idea that U2 was completing a new album, and about to go on tour. I bought three albums. First, the Joshua Tree. Then, on the recommendation of my other older brother, the Unforgettable Fire and Achtung Baby. That's where my collection stood, actually, until relatively recently.

Knowing I was a burgeoning U2 fan, the same brother who had been guiding me through the albums bought me Rattle and Hum on DVD. The second I saw "Where The Streets Have No Name", I was a U2 fan for life. This was in the Spring of 2001, after the Elevation tour swung through Chicago (a fact I was not aware of, anyway, so it's not like I missed it).

Through the summer, though, I loved every second of U2. I heard a few of the new songs on the radio, and loved those, too. I remember downloading Beautiful Day and Elevation (and Walk On, too, I think). Having seen Rattle and Hum, I knew what an amazing live band they were, so you can imagine my elation when I read that they'd be touring North America, including Chicago.

I had my dad buy a ticket for me when they went on sale (I was in school, remember). I instructed him rather clearly to buy me the cheap floor ticket ($45 GA), but he decided that if he were going (he wasn't), he'd want a seat. That's how I wound up sitting on the opposite side of the United Center from U2. Not that it really mattered to me; the show was amazing, I heard some songs I hadn't heard before (Wake Up Dead Man, Kite, Stay, Peace On Earth), and generally had an amazing time. Since then, I've been listening to U2 a lot on and off, intermixed with periods of heavy Weezer, Beatles, and Nirvana listening. My girlfriend gave me the Best of 1990-2000 for Christmas a couple years back.

Vertigo's release jumped me out of my Weezer listening, and since then, I've bought Boy, War, and How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. The albums I haven't bought yet I've been heavily exposed to by my older brother and various concert bootlegs.

So yeah, that turned into a long story. But to put it shortly, I'm too young to have been a longtime fan. But I love 'em just as much anyway.

I was 9 years old when I snuck into my sisters room to "borrow" her October album. MTV was playing Gloria a lot then. I listened to the album 4 times, then she came home. The next day I snuck in again and grabbed her Boy album. For my 10th birthday my parents bought me the War album and my first U2 poster (still have it). 2 years ago I had my first child, a beautiful daughter. I named her after my personal favorite and most underrated song on the album...Grace.

I knew them back in '75 when they were good....before they sold out with that "Boy" album.....boy you should've heard them back then.....it was great. Bono wouldn't even write lyrics; he'd just sing out of the Bible. and edge, well, back then we called him curve. he would play in different keys at once, he was so ahead of his time. sometimes the band couldn't fit onstage because of adam's hair. ah...those were the days.

I see them at the Hope and Anchor in 1978 and they blew me away with their excellent cover versions.:wink:

21 years for me, I don't win. Is Hanover still here? He is Irish and was with them all along.

rjhbonovox - I think you win! :applaud:

I know that I would be interested in any of your remembrances of U2 from those early days in the late '70s (when they may or may not have been U2) - whether they would be of their performances or of U2 themselves.

You have marvelous memories to keep in your heart forever. Please share them with us. :wink:

ALL BECAUSE OF YOU....:adam: :larry: :edge: :hug: :bono: :love:

Jamila said:
rjhbonovox - I think you win! :applaud:

I know that I would be interested in any of your remembrances of U2 from those early days in the late '70s (when they may or may not have been U2) - whether they would be of their performances or of U2 themselves.

You have marvelous memories to keep in your heart forever. Please share them with us. :wink:

ALL BECAUSE OF YOU....:adam: :larry: :edge: :hug: :bono: :love:

I hate to break your heart, Jamila, but I believe rjhbonovox is being sarcastic.

How do I know? Bono and co. have said repeatedly that they were horrible at covers, which is what forced them to write their own material. I believe Bono once called them 'the worst cover band ever' or something along those lines. So I doubt rjhbonovox saw the band in 1978. :wink:

-Miggy

Miggy D said:

I hate to break your heart, Jamila, but I believe rjhbonovox is being sarcastic.

How do I know? Bono and co. have said repeatedly that they were horrible at covers, which is what forced them to write their own material. I believe Bono once called them 'the worst cover band ever' or something along those lines. So I doubt rjhbonovox saw the band in 1978. :wink:

-Miggy

Nah not true, at the Hope and Anchor in 1978 me and 12 other people saw them do a corking version of "Lets Spend The Night Together". Oh yes!:wink:

sue4u2 said:
1982/83. I wasn't that familiar with Boy, but bought it the same time I bought War. New Year's Day (song, that is) was when I realized I loved these guys. The rest is history..:heart:
New Year's Day is the one that hooked me, as well. :up: I've not been without U2's music since that day. :D So.. I don't win this contest, but I'm still a winner! :lol:

since 1990 for me..... some people must be old in this forum...;)

but i heard them before whitout knowing it was them..... my sisters are 35..... i remember New Year's day back in the day when I was 7.

since 1990 for me..... some people must be old in this forum...;)

but i heard them before whitout knowing it was them..... my sisters are 35..... i remember New Year's day back in the days when I was 7.

I jumped on the bandwagon with The Joshua Tree. But back then it was pretty uncool to admit this. You were considered a posuer and subject to ridicule from "the real fans" if you hadn't been on board at least since UF

Back
Top Bottom