Whoawhee! A free "October" in Best of 1980-1990!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

i_love_adam

War Child
I sure am glad for my free October that only comes exclusively with The Best of 1980-1990, at the very end of the suspiciously long 9 minute All I Want is You!

Oh gawd, I'm sure all the "elite" U2 fans already know that, by golly!

Just a pleasant surprise. I don't own October. And I did my research.

Great piano playing by the Edge!

I got that CD for my aunt for Christmas. She didn't have her reading glasses, so I read off the tracklisting for her after she unwrapped it. After reading off the last one, I said "AND! There's a hidden track, if you wait after the last song, you get to hear October!" I'm pretty sure she doesn't even know what October is, but she will soon enough :wink:

Yeah, the first time I heard my CD, when I thought that it was over and October started, I was like :combust:

Is there any interview footage anywhere explaining what happened to Gloria? I mean....if there was a song I would have bet would have been on the Best Of, it would have been Gloria.

T

mmm, that makes me elite as well (bwahah)

but seriously that kinda annoys me. would it not have been better to have it as a secret extra track? thats a lot of silence to endure before you get october...

IMO, there are quite a few things I wish U2 would have changed on the 80's "Best Of". The b-sides disc is perfect - well done. But the main disc features a shortened version of "Streets" and, barring this "hidden track", no songs from "October". Where's "Gloria", for example? And why were so many songs from R&H on the album at the expense of other hit or popular songs from the 80's?

The 90's "Best Of" main CD is great. I know many fans hate that several songs were reworked, but I loved the revisions. We can always listen to the original version on the original CD, so the "remakes" (if you will) gave an alternative view of the song. And I love the remade "Numb" - it's my favorite version of the song now. However, the 90's b-side disc is terrible. It has tons of remixes at the expense of some original b-side songs U2 released then. For example, where's "Holy Joe"?

Ah well, they are both worthwhile owning... just not as good as they should have been.

Best of 80s > Best of 90s, IMO at least. The only issue with 80s is Gloria not being on there, and WLCTT being on it. But this is paltry compared with THE FLY being left off of Best of 90s. :tsk:

doctorwho said:
IMO, there are quite a few things I wish U2 would have changed on the 80's "Best Of". The b-sides disc is perfect - well done. But the main disc features a shortened version of "Streets" and, barring this "hidden track", no songs from "October". Where's "Gloria", for example? And why were so many songs from R&H on the album at the expense of other hit or popular songs from the 80's?

"Gloria" was left off because the original master had basically turned to dust. The band felt that they then couldn't come up with a quality enough remaster of it for the album. As for the Rattle and Hum songs, all four of those singles did better on the charts than anything that didn't make The Best Of, so they do warrant inclusion.......they definitely did miss the boat on a number of singles, however ("Another Day" "A Celebration" "11 O'Clock Tick Tock").........

In some ways, Best of 1990-2000 is better for the "fans" since there are essentially quite a few "new" tracks (ie remixes) rather than the originals or edits which most fans would own on the original albums anyway.

Out of Control and a lot of the early '80s singles are suspiciously missing from the Best of '80s disc, but other than that it's pretty good

and the Best of the '90s lost all credibility when The Fly isn't on the main disc but is a bonus track for other countries...are you kidding me?!?! That song was probably one of their more important songs in terms of the transition from the '80s to the '90s:huh:

LemonMacPhisto said:

and the Best of the '90s lost all credibility when The Fly isn't on the main disc but is a bonus track for other countries...are you kidding me?!?! That song was probably one of their more important songs in terms of the transition from the '80s to the '90s:huh:

The 'Best of' albums were the ones that got me into U2 and The Fly was the one track on it that made me want to explore U2 and buy the rest of their albums. It was by far and away the stand-out track on the best of 1990-2000 in my opinion. I can't believe they left it off the American version :shocked:

So the Fly just insnt on the US version?! Cause even being a relatively "new" U2 fan when 1990 came out, I was still aware of it's absense and rather upset

I don't own (insert title of CD with Streets on it, I can't remember at the moment) that's a shortened version on the 80s cd?! What the flip, New Years Day is ALREADY missing averse!

I gave my 90's best of a glance the other day, I never really listened to it all that much as I had all the songs already. I consider the absence to Lemon and Please (as A-Sides) to be just as ridiculous as the absence of the Fly. And don't get me started on them putting ATYCLB songs on there.... :angry:

Lemonfix said:
And don't get me started on them putting ATYCLB songs on there.... :angry:

Yeah, they pretty much fucked themselves on that one...why would they put those songs on there to begin with? Especially when there were other, more worthy songs that could have taken their place (I know the ATYCLB lovers are going to kill me over that, but be honest, there were better songs from the 90s that should have been on there). Another thing is that those songs don't fit with the rest of the 90s, they aren't from the same musical vein...my guess as to why they did it is so that people who had heard "Beautiful Day" would buy it because they liked that song, and then U2 would sell more. :shrug: Just my opinion.

martha said:
= not elite. :crack:

lol

It depends which side you take. From a technical standpoint, ATYCLB is released in 2000 therefore the best of "1990-2000" could include them...unless it was meant as "1990-2000(not inclusive".

From an artistic viewpoint it probably made sense to have the 90s tracks only. But then, they included Miss Sarajevo which isn' even by U2 technically.

My main gripe with the album is inserting Electrical Storm & The Hands That Built America. They are from 2002, whichever way you swing it. I understand perhaps inserting one (ala Sweetest Thing - but isnt that a remixed 80s song?) but why two, especially when "hands" imo isn't particularly good.

From a business perspective, it makes sense to include material from ATYCLB since people may have heard those songs and thought "i'd like those on cd, i might as well buy this and see what other stuff they have done".

Releasing the album two years after the end of 90's was also a bit of a faux pas in my opinion, though I've heard the argument that the 90's material won't age well therefore it was pushed out the door as quickly as possible. People don't really want to buy Best Ofs when the band is currently producing material, especially material that is (to most people) similar to that contained on the cd.

* Luke

Hey now...It's just a mind lapse...i still cant' remember, I don't wanna guess and sound stupid.............Why am I oo lazy to just look it up?

anyway...that didn't answer my question...that's a shortened version of streets? I hate sounding like an idiot :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom