Whoa! 4 extremely critical HTDAAB reviews!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really do think that Universal should make a point to include the bigger U2 fan sites in admission to the listening parties. More power to U2tour.de for pulling it off, in my opinion. :up:

I'm very interested in seeing what all the fan sites have to say about this album.

That site is reporting further fan reviews to be posted in hours. Why does another fan site get reviews, and we get a fake Edge? I thought this was the biggest, baddest U2 place on the net?

Disregard this review. Anyone that throws out such a wide marking range has no fucking idea. 'Umm i give this one 10, i give this one two, I give this one a billion and I give this one minus a billion.' I started to take this as a joke when I read the reviews for All Because of You and City of Blinding Lights. Idiots! Stick to Ramstein! :wink:

At least one of the reviewers sounded like he was dissatisfied with ATYCLB, and so did not like the new U2 style.

"Embroidered In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of" sounds like it's gonna be huge. Big crossover promotional single for Pottery Barn, maybe?

After reading that the reviews honestly don't seem as negative as I initially thought. The ratings seem low, but I think they're using the U2 standard to rate it. 5-6 probablt being average U2 (which is REALLY good).

I don't think those reviews seem so bad anymore.

I'm not really paying attention to these reviews.. First of all, I couldn't understand shite, and then they dont make any sense. IMO, "Refugee" might be the worst song u2 has ever released, but I wouldn't even rate that a 3/10. It seems if they all graded it high, no one would look twice at it, just another kiss ass review of u2. So these really low marks draw some attention, I mean....I might rate the album low after my first listen. The only album ever to get me upon first listen was AB. But I would never rate the songs 3/10 or whatever. Look at the marks of Vertigo, ABOY, and COBL? Kind of lost me after reading that. Anyway, I say it again, I've heard 6 out the 11 songs (songs/live/performances/leaks) and their all great, so I'm not worried in the least bit. What are the odds that the 5 tracks we havent sampled yet happen to be the ones that are total shit?

So if no one cares, why do I have to read "I don't care" 5 pages long in every review topic on this forum? :huh:

FullonEdge2 said:
Blindbilly:

Which reviewer are you?

U2tomorrow

btw: we do not have the album, so we cannot share any snippets. just have the singles here, sorry.

I love the reviews.

Why?

Because they say it needs more listening, because they say they didn't like it at first, because they say it's unfinished (like some say Pop was).

Yeah! I didn't get AB, Zooropa and Pop at first, need several listenings and now they are my favourites! Actually, i hated AB at the first listenings!

It's good to see reviews like that.

Vertigo
U2tomorrow) Magnificent Opener for the album - U2 stretched again! A punkiger Gitarrenriff in contact at "Boy" times pushes singed that, Bonos voice sounds like in old times, and the slower transition in the means part reminds wants Follow" of "Out Of Control" and "I. How Adam to the album said: "we have this time that Anti-skirt Sentiment aside let." 8/10

Miracle Drug
The snippet did not promise too much! Begins very retain in order to increase itself then however after the 2nd Strophe with a fat guitar, and after the 1st refrain with an additional bass line powermäßig. My considering a Single! The Larry here mitgesungen have should, is not been noticeable me. Epic, an absolute highlight. Note 8,5/10

Sometimes You Can' t Make it On Your Own
To 99% the second Single of the album. Bono wrote singed that for its father. Larry emerges once with Rimshots. The song becomes with hall angedickt and that singed comes sooner unpluggedlastig across thanks to the acoustics guitar. He increases himself always a few more - to the end. Edge experimented further toward Pitchshifting-Sounds as well as already in "Peace on Earth". There is another nice Slide-Break. Generally that is singed than to designate arrive. For me, the anvisierte Releasetermin (February 2005) unsuitably is selected however - it is prepared same my opinion after "the typical Weihnachtssong" of the joy under the tree. A classic U2-Schnulze for the christmas market therefore. Very solidly. (8 of 10 Phaser-stars).

Love And Peace Or Else
U2tomorrow) Unzweifelbar the best, Most innovative, and courageousest Track on the album. Some drug-blues, like it the Queens Of The Stone Age not better would have been able to write. More violently more distorted, carrier bass and guitar open singed that before they freely make Bono and heavy Rythmus (with slow hands claps) the way. With nod and Mitstampfen is unavoidable until all ends in wonderful noise. Lecherous. 10/10

City Of Blinding Lights (U2tomorrow)
Belongs together with "Love And Peace" and "Vertigo" to the quality guarantor of the album, and fits best in the connection on "Love And Peace". Slow start with Keyboardklängen, that remind of power work "neon Lights", tears singed itself that with "Where The streets..." guitar upwards to the bombastischen refrain, that will be unquestionable on the new tour a highpoint: "You look so beautiful tonight"! 9/10

All Because Of You
(U2tomorrow) He who knows that "attention baby" Outtakes, will recognize here (finally) the krachende "Gonna Blow Your House Down". Percussion and guitar - after shrill opening - hunt singed through that, that stretched after "Vertigo" probably most. Although the melody quickly stiis, the refrain is however a little weak and not particularly original. Standard U2 singed, that also on the last disk well place would have found. 7/10

A one And A Woman
Of the title here an anmutende ballad, that is however then yet no correct, there that did not singe comes itself really slowly therefore, but rather as a midtempo number entpuppt! Nevertheless it remained natural a dear song. Very long text, Bono gives singed itself audibly effort with that. Bass line typical an Adam rounds off singed that to the end there. One will have to listen to nevertheless often. Note 6,5/10
(Bulldozer)

Crumbs From Your Table
A grooviger Drumbeat with driving bass. Very prettily. That can become yet a real Single. The melody burns itself already better into the ear. Just the Gitarrenriffs of the beginning erinneren very strongly at cuts of that attention baby Outtakes out of the Hansa sound studio. Here very probably old material verb rate became. In my eyes, that must be not bad. The result very probably can see let itself. For me just on the basis of the Outros a more possible singed for the end of a live show. The Synties sound however unfortunately already again terribly beside it. They do not fit of the Sound to the Temparatur of the remaining instruments - me in any case not. As a musician, one has it apparently heavily. (8 of 10 Phaser-stars)

One Step Closer
Juhu, One Step Closer gets out the CD out of its between depth and provides for a disposition á la 'The First Time' - gets already once the miracle candles out! That singed is cut very on Bono, whose song and Lyrics worry here for orderly power. Especially the refrain pushes singed at the same time that. Wim Wenders becomes this piece of dear and if necessary in one of its next singe use - therefrom am convinced I (8 of 10 stars).
(U2tomorrow)

Original Of The Species
Jawoll! The first singed with a correct refrain as well as I it now already since over a half hour would expect. That conveys it for me directly to the Single-candidate. I clamp me now simply at all. Much comes no longer. The guitars sound very U2-typisch. Very glockig in the Style of Big Country. I white... one so cannot say... is singed have would like it however that a to that I once sex. Wonderful! (9 of 10 Phaser-stars).
(Phaser)

Yahweh
Yahweh? Oje, that becomes certainly sowas schnulziges as well as Grace... incorrect! Reminds sooner of a fast track as well as "Do You Feel Loved"! That singed has Power, and U2 so have not fade away let rarely to say around not at all, a disk! Finely, once what other. Note 7/10
(Bulldozer)

...THIS ALBUM WILL BE A MONSTER....

I guess u gotta hate it first....

U2 albums...are just difficult to understand.

so, lets just wait....

November 22

CICOLO said:
Vertigo
U2tomorrow) Magnificent Opener for the album - U2 stretched again! A punkiger Gitarrenriff in contact at "Boy" times pushes singed that, Bonos voice sounds like in old times, and the slower transition in the means part reminds wants Follow" of "Out Of Control" and "I. How Adam to the album said: "we have this time that Anti-skirt Sentiment aside let." 8/10

...THIS ALBUM WILL BE A MONSTER....

please use the 'real' translations, those google ones are horrible.

so here u are:

http://www.u2tour.de/specials/htdaab_prelistening/index_EN.php

I agree with everyone here who have said that we should all just wait for the album to come out at this point and "judge" it for ourselves.:up:

No one's opinion of this release will ultimately be as important to us as our own, so I suggest y'all just relax and enjoy your anticipation of what promises to be another BEAUTIFUL OFFERING OF MUSIC AND INSPIRATION from U2. :hug:

Maybe those folks from u2tour.de were just trying to stick it to Universal a bit for making them take down the HTDAAB's lyrics from their site.

Whatever the reviews of HTDAAB, I remain optimistic that IT WILL BE A MAGNIFICENT U2 ALBUM!:hyper:

YOUR LOVE IS TEACHING ME HOW TO KNEEL....:adam: :larry: :edge: :bono: :love:

Jamila said:

Maybe those folks from u2tour.de were just trying to stick it to Universal a bit for making them take down the HTDAAB's lyrics from their site.

nope, cause we settled the case on more than a friendly note - or do u think they would have invited us to pre-listening with 8 fans otherwise... ?

Vertigo
Great opener for the new album - U2 once more rock! A punky guitar riff is driving the song forward, reminiscent of 'Boy' days, Bono's voice is its old self, and the slower middle bridge reminds of 'Out Of Control' or 'I Will Follow'. As Adam said about the album: 'This time we left the anti-rock sentiment at home.' 8/10
(Malakas)
Miracle Drug
Starts slowly, but gains power after the second verse with heavy guitar and after the chorus with a second bass line. Could be a single release! Larry is supposed to have sung on this track, but I did not hear it. Epic, an absolute highlight. 8,5/10
(Bulldozer)
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
There's a 99% chance this will be the second single from the album. Bono wrote the song for his father. Larry occasionally emerges with rimshots. Vocals are thickened by echo effects and the song sounds more unplugged, thanks to the acoustic guitar. It grows and grows - up to the end. Edge experiments further with some pitchshifting sounds, like on "Peace on Earth". There is still yet another nice slide break. In general the Song is nicely done. For me however, the scheduled release date (February 2005) is a bad choice - this is a typical Christmas song that serves perfectly as a present, thus a classic U2 ballad for the Christmas market. Very solid. (8 out of 10 Phaser stars)
(Phaser)
Love And Peace Or Else
Undoubtedy the best, most innovative and most courageous track on the album. A druggy blues, Queens Of The Stone Age could not have done it better. Heavily distorted, slurred bass and guitar open the song, before giving way to Bono and a heavy rhythm (including slow hand clapping). Nodding and stomping along is inevitable, until it all ends in a beautiful noise. Fantastic. 10/10
(Malakas)
City Of Blinding Lights
Together with 'Love And Peace' and 'Vertigo' the album's quality guarantee, perfectly positioned after 'Love And Peace". Slow start with keyboard tones reminiscent of Kraftwerk's 'Neon Lights', then 'Where The Streets…' like guitars rise to a bombastic chorus that without question will be a highlight of the forthcoming tour: 'You look so beautiful tonight'! 9/10
(Malakas)
All Because Of You
Anyone who knows the 'Achtung Baby' outtakes will (finally!) recognize the crashing 'Gonna Blow Your House Down' here. Drums and guitar - after a screeching guitar opening - chase through the song, after 'Vertigo' probably the most rocking track. Though the melody quickly sticks in your head, the chorus is a little weak and not particularly original. A standard U2 song, that equally could have found its place on the last album. 7/10
(Malakas)
A Man And A Woman
From the title a ballad, but not quite, as it turns out rather mid-tempo! Still a love song, of course. Quite long lyrics, Bono is clearly making an effort here. A typical Adam bass line completes the song. Requires repeated listening, though. 6,5/10
(Bulldozer)
Crumbs From Your Table
A groovy drum beat with driving bass. Very beautiful. This could easily become a single. The melody sticks in your ear. Especially the guitar riffs at the beginning remind me of the Achtung Baby Outtakes from Hansa Studios. They probably used up some old material here. For my that isn`t necessarily a bad thing. The result does the trick. Especially due to the outro this is a possible song for closing their live shows. The synties however sound quite horrible here. They do not fit the temparature of the remaining instruments - at least not for me. It's hard being a musician. (8 out of 10 Phaser stars)
(Phaser)
One Step Closer
Wow, One Step Closer takes the CD out of its midterm low and reminds one of the atmosphere of 'The First Time' - get out your sparklers! The song sounds like made for Bono, whose singing - and lyrics - really push the song forward. Especially the chorus really kicks in. Wim Wenders would love this song and will probably use it in one of his next movies - I have no doubts about that (8 out of 10 points).
(U2tomorrow)
Original Of The Species
Yes! The first song with a real chorus - the one I have been waiting for over half an hour now. It immediately promotes the song to a single candidate. I'm clinging to anything now. There isn`t much left. The guitars sound very much like U2. Very ringing in the style of Big Country. I know... I shouldn`t really put it this way... however this is a song to which I would like to have sex to from time to time. Marvelous! (9 out of 10 Phaser stars).
(Phaser)
Yahweh
Yahweh? Oh dear, that'll be another kitschy 'Grace'… Wrong! Rather sounds like faster tracks like 'Do You Feel Loved'! A song with power, and U2 have rarely, not to say never, closed an album like that. Nice, something different. 7/10
(Bulldozer)

.......DIFFERENT REACTIONS MAKE A GREAT ALBUM!!!!..........

yep, have the singles. are you gonna wait forever is a very typical u2-b-side like always was to bd. nothing exciting, but okay. if you want to more know soundwise, I would re-listen :)

I'm not sure I understand why everyone is getting worried about those reviews, they seem fine to me... As for the bad grading ONE of the person gave, well, there are many different ways to grade. For example, if you have a U2 grading system, meaning that 1 would be the worst U2 song, 5 an average one, and 10 a classic. That's different than the usual way of grading, who knows what this person had in mind when they graded.

And yes, anynone who says this album is an absolute classic after ONE listen could not be trusted anyways.

thanks for the link to the real translation, blindbilly...

the one consistent criticism, which i find interesting and disturbing all at once, is that Bono seems to be the weak link on the album in terms of the singing and lack of cohesiveness....but then again, it seems like these guys listened to this album through the lens of "what is going to be the hit single, or what jumps out at me as the catchy rock song" so i am not that worried. it seemed as though if the song didn't have a memorable chorus or hook, these guys didn't like it.....

i rather have a complex structured song that doesn't immediately grab you over the Vertigo-type songs any day. If Vertigo turns out to be one of the better songs on the album, i will be very unhappy.

btw, i would say it's wrong to assume all 4 reviewers might be have been
just disappointed as they waited for this day that long in advance. in fact
the "go" for the pre-listening-event came for them within 48 hours before
the event startet. so their reviews should be seen as spontaneous reviews
from the first listening from long time u2-fans. besides "vertigone"
spoke about "who this guy is, who gave it just 3 out of 10". this guy is
running the well reputated website about u2's sound and equipment (see
u2sound.com). he is respected in the worldwide community for his musical
knowledge since years. so he is surely not "just one jerk" which was taken
out of the masses to send him there.

Let's not forget some of these guys are musicians, and therefore, inherently picky about anything. I should know, I am a musician too. :|

oceane said:
I'm not sure I understand why everyone is getting worried about those reviews, they seem fine to me... As for the bad grading ONE of the person gave, well, there are many different ways to grade. For example, if you have a U2 grading system, meaning that 1 would be the worst U2 song, 5 an average one, and 10 a classic. That's different than the usual way of grading, who knows what this person had in mind when they graded.

And yes, anynone who says this album is an absolute classic after ONE listen could not be trusted anyways.

Likewise, anyone who says it is dogshit (4/10) cannot be trusted either..:)

purpleblackeye said:
thanks for the link to the real translation, blindbilly...

the one consistent criticism, which i find interesting and disturbing all at once, is that Bono seems to be the weak link on the album in terms of the singing and lack of cohesiveness....but then again, it seems like these guys listened to this album through the lens of "what is going to be the hit single, or what jumps out at me as the catchy rock song" so i am not that worried. it seemed as though if the song didn't have a memorable chorus or hook, these guys didn't like it.....

i rather have a complex structured song that doesn't immediately grab you over the Vertigo-type songs any day. If Vertigo turns out to be one of the better songs on the album, i will be very unhappy.

if i would have 10 vertigos on a u2 album, I`d be disappointed. no, complex is great, but thats not always there. thats the prob. you`ll notice when listening to a man and a woman

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom