who would play Bono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thankyou

Refugee
This was just posted today on Reuters:

Mon, Aug. 7, 2:06 AM

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Two filmmakers are so worried about the handling of late INXS singer Michael Hutchence's legacy that they are making a movie about the Australian rocker before it gets tarnished any further.

The project, "Slide Away," has been in development for some time, but gained momentum following last year's reality TV show "Rock Star: INXS," where unknown singers vied to fill Hutchence's shoes, according to producer Clark Westerman.

Unimpressed with the low-rated series, Westerman persuaded an initially reluctant Nick Egan, a British music video director and Hutchence pal who shot many of the band's clips, to take the helm of the project.

"I said, 'Somebody else is going to do it, and they are not going to do it as well as you would because you knew him so well,"' Westerman recalled.

Hutchence's death in November 1997 made international headlines and stunned fans. He was found in a Sydney hotel room, the apparent victim either of suicide or accidental death via autoerotic asphyxiation. He was 37.

Westerman said: "That is not the memory of what we are after, and that's not the story of who the man is. What we are aiming for is the journey through a person's life via their head."

The deal was a complicated yearlong affair, with the filmmakers acquiring the cooperation and participation of Hutchence's trust and the cooperation of his brother, Rhett. But it reportedly raised the ire of their father, Kel. The filmmakers are now sifting through Hutchence's catalog.

The project's name comes from a posthumous duet that paired Hutchence with U2's Bono.

Egan directed many of the videos from INXS' late-'80s/early '90s heyday when it ruled the charts with tracks from its "Kick" and "X" albums.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Looks like this movie will very likely get made after all. There's been rumours about it for a while. Who would they cast for Hutchence and Bono? They're not going to be easy to do, since both performers are very unique talents. They've got to be able to sing well for one, not to mention their stage presence.

As far as looks I had thought Eric Bana might do well for playing Bono, but does anyone know if the guy can sing? He's a tall dude though, I think he's like 6'3" according to IMDB.

hutchence.jpg

bonohutchence.jpg

hutch37.jpg

This was a message from Bono and Ali at Michael Hutchence funeral. Does anyone know what it meant?

"What's the big deal? Robin is a fine actor and they look alike. Get over it. It's not an insult."

I wasn't speaking for myself. I actually do see the resemblance at times, and Robin Williams is not just a fine actor in my opinion, but a great actor. I absolutely loved him in Dead Poets Society, Good Will Hunting and One Hour Photo.
My point is that there are others who don't think so, and then the whole thread will get sidetracked into an argument about Robin Williams not looking like Bono etc......... .
I do think at this time Robin Williams would be too old to play the younger version of Bono in this upcoming film.

PS: I do think it would be hilarious to see Robin do a parody of Bono some day. :wink:

Last edited:
thankyou said:

hutch37.jpg

This was a message from Bono and Ali at Michael Hutchence funeral. Does anyone know what it meant?

I'm thinking the "Mick" thing because it's a nickname for Michael and a term for Irish people. "One and the same" is probably a play on the line from "One" of "We're one but we're not the same."

dsmith2904 said:
There are many talented "Bonos" in tribute bands that should be given the opportunity.

Good point. Maybe going with a more unknown person, vs an already well known actor might be the best thing.

Samuel L. Jackson

Seriously, what era Bono are we talking about? Robin Williams is the obvious choice for a Bono circa 2000-2006 because they look so much alike. However, I think RW is a little too eccentric to play the B-Man effectively. If it's a young Bono we're talking about, I've always thought Elijah Wood, if you take a good look at him, resembles Bono. He's also a very good actor.

Only one thing is certain: Macauley Culkin would have the Larry Mullin Jr. roll wrapped up, no question.

Yes if there will be a parody movie on U2 Robin Williams is the man.

David Duchovny. Second Elijah Wood for a young Bono.

Last edited:
If he doesn't have to look exactly like Bono, my choice would be Johnny Depp. I'd rather have a good actor than any Bono lookalike.

Older Bono, perhaps Daniel Day Lewis

Who would play edge and adam if it was to feature the entire band in the movie?

how about michael pitt for larry? He is an actor and a musician in a band too:

pitt-1.jpg

he looks kinds moody, :eyebrow: like larry does "at time" .

Last edited:
thankyou said:
Who would play edge and adam if it was to feature the entire band in the movie?

how about michael pitt for larry? He is an actor and a musician in a band too:

pitt-1.jpg

thats funny nobody told him his pants were unbuttoned

PlaTheGreat said:

Seconded.

What's the big deal? Robin is a fine actor and they look alike. Get over it. It's not an insult.

:up:

although I think if it's Pop-era Bono, it should be Colin Farrell.

His Bono impression was great on SNL.

Back
Top Bottom