Who will sucseed U2 as the biggest band in the world?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember Bono was once asked a question similar to this in Showbiz Ireland. I don't remember the exact date but he mentioned the Dave Matthews Band actually. He said that he thought they were some of the most talented musicians he had ever heard and was really disappointed that they made very little attempt to market their music to Europe and Asia. He's right though. Even though they might not be liked by many on these boards, their talent and chemistry can't be denied. If they had the same success around the world that they do in North America, they would definitely be a contender. Radiohead has sort of done something similar. Just the locations are reversed. It really makes me wonder though. What's the sense in putting a cap on the number of people exposed to your music? Why even get into the business in the first place?

Aardvark747 said:

Well, I can't quite follow your confusion. But it's a fair and important question. Because ultimately, willingness towards overexposure is the main hurdle to overcome in terms of being the biggest band in the world. I just used Dave Matthews Band and Radiohead because they are two prime examples of bands who had an opportunity to become huge and both backed away. Both have maintained a very large following but nothing of U2 or Rolling Stones proportions. There have been others too. But my point is, that these types of bands got into the music business in the first place to gain fame and fortune. Anybody who says otherwise is kidding themselves. So it just seems strange to suddenly back away. The real question here has less to do with talent and more to do with whether or not bands like Coldplay will even want the overexposure of being the biggest band in the world. U2 is the biggest band in the world, not because they are the most skilled musicians, but because they wanted it more than anyone else..

Sorry Sniper! I totally mis-read your last post!
I understand your point...A friend and I (he is big Radiohead fan) were discussing this subject the other day. He reckons at the point of OK Computer, Radiohead had the chance to become more famous than ever, across many countries, not just the US - but with their next couple of albums, the music seems as if it purely made for the die-hards, as it can be quite obscure, rather than continuing in the same vain as 'OK'.

Do they tour the US still or not out of interest?:eyebrow:

Last edited:
I think no band will have the trascendance, and vitality U2 have had in their career. Coldplay will continue to be big, but they have it more difficult, because they already reached comercial and mainstream success with their second album. U2 bursted into the mainstream with their 5th. As for live, Colplay can put on a hell of a show. I see a lot of similarities but Coldplay shoudln't be a copycat, they have to take the it to a whole new level, it's gonna be tough, but i think they could be the next band, if not the last.

One thing is certain no band will ever accomplish as much as u2 has done in their 25 years of music, I hope they are still around when i have kids or something, so i can say to them "that's a rock band , an endangered species....and those are the original of the species!" jejejeje

cheers!!!!

although i don't like dave matthews band, i do agree they are amazing musicians. but in terms of "chemistry," as you mentioned earlier, i would have to disagree. most of their songs are built in sections ... where one is devoted to dave's guitar, another saxophone, another strings, etc. there isn't a proper meshing in dmb songs. there's a certain synergy when amazing musicians perform together and write songs with the band in mind, not themselves. dmb are great musicians, but i think they lack in their songwriting capability due to the tendency to stress individuals instead of the group.

I dont think the question is "which band will be bigger than u2" that may take another 15-20 years to see a band that can weven come close.

The issue is who is going to be the next band that is just synonymous with a good cd. Whose cd can you walk into as toare and just pick it up cos you know that a half hearted effort by this band is still better than 100 percent of 90 percent of bands (do the math).

It may not even be a band we know about right now, could a be4 a small band in it's inchoate stages. Some guy just writing songs.

but if I have to pick a band that' on the map now, I'd say franz ferdinand or the killers. Prior to picking up the u2 cd I felt that the killers had the best cd of 2004.

Back
Top Bottom