Who will sucseed U2 as the biggest band in the world?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BigMacPhisto said:
The answer is undoubtedly Pearl Jam. With their own record label, reluctance to do videos, tour with corporate sponsors, or even make many public appearances, PJ will undoubtedly be back in the mainstream soon.

They have a Greatest Hits out soon I beleive?:eyebrow:

everyone who says chris martin has no chrisma (sorry spelling) are totaly WRONG! he has it believe me!!!!

biggest band in the world?hihihi
IMG_6467.sized.jpg

IMG_6450.sized.jpg

IMG_6622.sized.jpg

IMG_6640.sized.jpg

I can't see quite why people here are pinning it all on the record companies, because while the way they operate has unquestionably changed over the years, so have musical tastes.

The cultural landscape that made it possible for a band like the Beatles to be 'bigger than Jesus' had already fractured by the 1980s, and even more so today.

Maybe there won't be another 'supergroup', honestly I could care less. Popular music is much more diverse and fractured now, and there are a great many fine, excellent bands working out there. They don't all make the Top 40 but if they build enough of a following then they become a permanent feature of the landscape.

Personally, I doubt record companies as we know them will wield much influence twenty years from now. Not that I can prove that of course, not being psychic.

U2 is the last supergroup definately. The bands being mentioned here are slightly more than flavor of the month bands and don't really have anything that much resembles the initial spark U2 has. Music today is all about the looks and the clothes and they all have the same pedestrian sophmoric short-sighted outlook. No one has the magic or the mystery. I know of some artists that do outside of the Mtv/Vh1 slipstream, but you will never hear about them and they will continue to make great music without caring about appealing to the 15-16 yr old demographic that Mtv caters to.

Pedro The Lion could be the new U2, they've got a spiritual vision and blatent disregard for what's commercial; blazing their own trail. They would actually be INTERESTING unlike the clones everybody expects to be the next big thing. Wilco is another choice. Coldplay is too dull and the singer's voice, while unique, gets annoying after a few listens. Radiohead doesn't want the title, and they shouldn't. They're fine where they are.

Aardvark747 said:
For me, no-one in my lifetime will have the same status as U2. [/B]

Me neither. No one means as much on and off the stage/record/studio. Even when they're not playing or touring, they're a hugely influential band.

Lancemc said:
Coldplay is great and all, but not nearly as great as U2 were, even after U2's second album. If Coldplays third album (still can't wait for it though ;)) is anywhere as big as WAR, then I might reconsider. I thinkt he band that will take U2's throne though probably hasn't really gotten started yet, or is just getting there.

i think coldplay have been around too long already and haven't got the material out...ony 2 albums in??

bono was 22 by the time 2 albums were out...he was 27 when Joshua Tree came out (very young still and a tremendous back catalogue already)...31 when Achtung came out...come on..Coldplay are not the superband to replace u2....it will be somebody else who hasn't started yet as you say

I listened to Radiohead's Kid A and OK Computer, so far I like them a lot. But Coldplay's Rush of Blood to the Head I have listened to briefly, and not liked that much. I will try again, but are there any tracks I should listen to straight off? Many people compare this to the Joshua Tree, if that is true then what are the eqauivalents to the first three tracks on that album?

andyuk said:
everyone who says chris martin has no chrisma (sorry spelling) are totaly WRONG! he has it believe me!!!!

Easy now. We're not saying that he's utterly devoid of charisma. We are saying that he doesn't posses the almost obscene amount of charisma that guys like Bono have.
Or, to put it another way if Chris Martin and Bono walk into a crowded room who will everyone look at?

Matthew_Page2000 said:

Easy now. We're not saying that he's utterly devoid of charisma. We are saying that he doesn't posses the almost obscene amount of charisma that guys like Bono have.
Or, to put it another way if Chris Martin and Bono walk into a crowded room who will everyone look at?

Chris is only on his third record. He's much better than Bono was after October, I mean, he's learned alot from the Bono of JT, AB, ATYCLB. He'll only get better as they put out record number 4, number 5, number 6.

If it's anyone, it will be Coldplay. However, i already get the feeling that the pressure is getting to them big time.

and what about Oasis??

i think they're already a superband...and they're gonna put out their new record on May the 26th (as Noel Gallagher said)...

I love The Killers...bought Hot Fuss the morning it came out and it was certainly my disc of the summer (well, one of 3 or 4), but that album suffers IMO because of some pacing/filler issues. I truly believe that one of the biggest blunders of the year is following a brilliant (and loaded with early Edge influences) song in Midnight Show with the absolutely brutal final tune. Everyone I've talked to can't sit through song 11. Also, Brandon Flowers has ALOT of work to do on the live show if they want to take on the title -- when we saw him in Oct he gave the most lackluster performance I've seen in many years. Only the drummer made it worth while.

MrBrau1 said:

Chris is only on his third record. He's much better than Bono was after October, I mean, he's learned alot from the Bono of JT, AB, ATYCLB. He'll only get better as they put out record number 4, number 5, number 6.

I'm not sure that I agree. Pearl Jam's first two albums were bigger than U2's first two albums and Eddie Vedder was a much bigger and better star than Bono was after two albums but the band peeked after their their third album.
There are lots of examples like that.

And honestly whatever you think of the relative merits of the bands I've mentioned Chris Martin in no way energizes a crowd like Bono does or Vedder did in his prime.

The reason longevity plays into this is hits. By the time Coldplay release their 4th or 5th album they'll have more hits to rely on in concert. I've seen Coldplay live, in MSG, and he has the energy. All he needs now are 3-4 more big tunes to make the crowd shit their pants.

bonosleftone said:

Well to be blunt, you're wrong. He does have the stage presence, Excellent performer IMO. Just because he's a nice guy doesnt mean he can't lay it down when he wants to.

Thats why I said IMO.

trashdaveed said:

I can't say I agree with the last part of this statement in the least as the U2 album that most resembles what is hot in rock right now (Franz Ferdinand, The Departure -- their 2005 debut LP will undoubtedly be big....I could go on), is October. If another band released October right now, exactly as is, it would be hugely acclaimed IMO. That faster paced, 'guitary' sound is what everyone is mimicking.

But i'm not speaking in terms of how the record would be recieved today, i'm talking about whether or not it would have survived at the time of it's release if the music industry was as fast-paced as it is today.

No one.

The music industry's changed, and rock isn't what it used to be in the 80's/early 90's. A band can not afford 7 years to make a monster album, much less 3/4 years between recording.

The odds of any band putting out an album that would be as big as JT or AB, and it'd have to be VERY early on in their career, are too slim IMO.

U2girl said:
No one.

The odds of any band putting out an album that would be as big as JT or AB, and it'd have to be VERY early on in their career, are too slim IMO.

Interestingly enough, many of the bands that have been mentioned - Radiohead, Pearl Jam, and even Coldplay to some extent - HAVE put out albums that were pretty big, and then shied away from all the critical acclaim and adulation that they received. U2, on the other hand, embraced it. They have no problem with saying that they're the biggest band on the planet. Let's face it, saying things like that just puts them in the cross-hairs of every critic out there, and the band get a lot of flak for it. I'm not sure if there are any bands out there right now who want the pressure of being the biggest band in the world. When U2 decide to hand over that mantle, it's going to have to be to a band that's willing to take it on. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone who is up for the challenge. :hmm:

Coldplay wouldn't be there without U2.
Many people mention The Stones as something bigger than U2; I shake my head. Throughout all of U2's career, they've been great, except for The Beatles I can't think of any artist with many albums where none of them are bad. Every U2 album is great. As I said, only The Beatles is a contestant in my book.

Back
Top Bottom