Who went to opening Elevation in Miami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2SJ

Refugee
Hi everyone! :wave:
I was wondering who went to Miami last time and how long people waited to get into the heart.
I had planned with some friends to make the big trip to Miami, but since I really cant afford it, Im deciding if its worth it to go to that, or wait til they come to the west coast and then see more shows with the large amount of money I would spend going to Miami for the opener.
Just lookin for some thoughts so I can make my decision! Also just thoughts on going to an opener show to begin with, pros and cons!!
Thanks!

Last edited:
I was there, but it was in Sunrise, FL not Miami. I pretty sure this one will be in Miami at the AA arena. No one knew what to expect for the first show, so only a small group of people showed up early in the morning. I didn't show up until at least noon on the day of the show and there weren't very many people there. I have no idea what will happen this time, or if they'll even have GA.

The last tour ended in Miami...I was there too. Of course by then people were showing up the day before the show and "camping out." The AA arena won't let you do that, however, so everybody had to line up in the parking lot across the street and then sometime the next day they let us come over and line up outside the arena itself. Not a bad experience though. There were a couple of reasonable hotels within a block and a shopping plaza with restaurants/bars across the street.

Pros...it's the first show of the tour. Cons...it's the first show of the tour. If you can't afford it you're probably not missing that much other than being one of the first to experience the new tour. Performance wise...I would think it would be much improved by the time the tour gets out west. I'm obviously going to the opener because it's less than a 2 hour drive for me to get there. Btw...don't let my desire to discourage as many out-of-state people from scooping up tix to the opener in Miami influence you in any way.:wink:

Last edited:
I also went to the Elevation kick off.

While it's cool to attend the very first concert of a tour - it's better to save your money and see more shows down the road closer to your location.

I was at that 1st show, also. I travelled from Ohio to see it. I had great time. I stayed at some '50's inspired hotel in N. Miami Beach and met many other fans staying there. That was probably the best part. The worst part was the horrible sunburn I got hanging out on the beach for a few days---lol. As for the show itself, there's alot of fun anticipation knowing you're going to be the first to hear a new set list, see a new stage show and hear new performances of old songs. In this day and age, I think that means something given how bootlegs are so prevalent. By the time the show comes to my town, I've probably heard half of the tour so far. Another fun thing about the 1st show is celebrity spotting. Alot of bigwigs whether be music celebrities or reps. from the big music publications are at a 1st show. 1st shows are more written about than any other show of the tour which means our (the fans) reactions are going to be measured and reported on nationally. I remember CNN, MTV and VH1 all doing blurbs on the 1st show of Elevation and seeing many people I recognized from the show. On a down side, the 1st show is almost never the best show of a tour. I remeber coming away from that Miami show thinking that alot of the new songs needed some work. Most notably BD. On the other hand, up till that 1st show I considered Walk On the worst song on ATYCLB, but hearing it live changed my opinion of the tune.

I was also at the opener (and the last show) in Miami. I enjoyed the last show more, because the show as better, and emotions were high. (remember, the first show as pre 9-11, the last was post 9-11). I wouldn't pass up the chance of seeing the opener though, because after all, you get to be part of a group of people who are experiencing the first U2 concert in over 3 years, and not knowing what songs to expect is kinda cool...

I didn't see the Elevation opener, but was there in Las Vegas for Pop. I imagine not the best performance of the tour, yet it's fun for the excitement of not knowing anything that is gonna happen...

I went to the first show in Sunrise as well. It was unexpected how people qualify for the heart until after the 1st show, but they may figure out how to ticket it separately next time. The show is obviously special to the band to kick off a world tour, but that also means there are nerves and not quite as tight as after a few weeks on tour...definitely worth it I.M.H.O. to see them whenever you can!

Obviously the "unknown" factor is the biggest appeal of the first show, but that also generates some stress and chaos as well...not only amongst fans, but security, etc. as well. To be honest, the only things I remember from those first two shows was getting to meet Bono behind the arena the afternoon of the first show, as well as some of the fans I met...whom I'm still in contact with today. The performances themselves were nothing special, aside from being the first. I saw much better shows in Chicago later in the tour (I live and work up North in the summer). If I weren't already in FL, I wouldn't spend the money to come here. If I were going to spend money to travel somewhere else in the USA to see U2 live it would be in NYC, Boston, Chicago or LA. These are clearly the best cities to see U2 at their best. If you want to see it "first," regardless of how good it may be...then Miami is way to go.

Last edited:
I was at that show too. I had gold circle seats from Prop and they were good seats. To echo what others were saying no one knew what to expect with GA. If they do something similiar this time I know there will be long lines for GA and probably early.

I do have to say I think it's a neat thing to be there opening night. I was amazed at how good they actually were first time out!

i was there. it was a very good show, and the suprise of the walking in with full house lights was very cool. the unknown it the biggest plus. I was 8 shows on elevation all together, and the only negatvie with the first night was no kite (actually all of the first six i went to there was no kite) . took them a while to get that down. i think it is worth it to go to the first one, and i hope to again this tour- but if money is a big issue i wouldn't. more shows later on is better than being at the first one.

I too was at that first show. I got GA tickets from Propaganda and was able to get into the heart! It was amazing and electric. I got there with 12 others in my group and arrived at the arena about 5:00 pm. Once the line was allowed in me and my wife and two in the group ran to the floor and were some of the last 10 people let into the heart. Several other people in the original line outside that were in front of us were taking it slow going to the bathroom or getting food whatever and missed getting into the heart. Oh course once you get into the heart they gave you a wrist band to go out to buy stuff and hit the restrooms. Anyways the show was just awesome and had such incerdible energy. No one that I was in the heart with or talked to afterward talked about the "songs needing work". I went to 4 other Elevation shows including the second to last one and I think this one had the most undefinable "magic". The first show is always special, I was also at the fist show of Zoo Tv in Lakeland, Florida on leap day 1992 and I will never forget it.

I was at the first show too, only I didn't have GA's. It was very cool the see the first show, not knowing what to expect or what song would come next, and the expirience of seeing them coming up with the house lights still on was mind blowing!!!! You get those kinds of feelings in the first shows. However I also went to LA and Las Vegas in November and those shows kicked Miami's ass by far!!!!! Performance wise, they played kite and out of control, they did duets with Gwen Stefani during What's going on... In a nutshell for overall surprise go to the first show. For a better show, wait a bit.

Don't kid yourself, there will be little to no "new" factor even at the first show..For elevation there was about 10 nights in a row of the set being rehearsed and we all knew exactly what the show, setlist etc would all look like long before we went in the arena. Again the good and bad of internet..The good is you know everything about the show before the first one is played...bad news is the same thing

I went to the opening night of Popmart in Vegas. It was great and cool to be at the first show, but most of the songs were pretty raw. I saw the same show 5 months later and it was night & day how the songs sounded. I think the money you spend on airfare and hotel could be spent on better seats at a show near you.

Thanks everyone! I enjoyed reading your stories about the opening night. I did go to the opening Vegas Pop show, out of my 17 shows that I have seen, that was the only opener I have been to....and I remember the excitement of flying in over Vegas and seeing the giant Pop arch!!! I agree that when I saw them later in the tour the show got better and better but the thrill of seeing opening night did make me :combust:!
My fear is spending like a thousand dollars on this trip, and then people are camping out for days for GA and I dont get close to the stage anyways.....
I still have some time to decide, so I guess when they announce the tour, I will either go for it, or save the money and see more shows close to home :)
Thanks again!! We are so close now, I cant stop thinking about this new tour!!!! :hyper:

Back
Top Bottom