Who should induct U2 to The Rock N? Roll Hall Of Fame?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, Springsteen's career is so much older than U2's that Patti Smith, who influenced U2, covered an 'old' Bruce Springsteen song (Because the Night) in 1978.

REM are the only true 'contemporaries' of U2, unless you want to cound Def Leppard and Bon Jovi and I'm sure you don't.

true, but I am thinking about the Amnesty/Live Aid days.

I think it would be inappropriate for Stipe to induct U2 (if REM also was not inducted) alone as they are just as old.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

i don't really care who they pick, as long as it's someone who can give a damn good speech... 'cause how the hell do you give a speech for a band that features the king of all induction speeches, bono? that's like interviewing walter chronkite... you don't top the master.

i know. bono's an afreakingmazing speech writer. i'm trying not to get my expectations up b/c i honeslty can't think of someone plausible who will be able to eloquently and accuratetly give them a speech they deserve.

of course i hope i'm wrong. ;)

I'd love to see Gwen Stefani do it. I :heart: her, and she loves Bono. I dont know about her speech writing abilities. I'd love to see Bruce Springsteen do it, but I'm sensing he won't b/c U2 followed him, not vice-versa. Although, who knows. U2 changed so much in music, I think they have affected people who went before, contemporaries, and those who have followed.

Lilac said:
Yeah, Springsteen's career is so much older than U2's that Patti Smith, who influenced U2, covered an 'old' Bruce Springsteen song (Because the Night) in 1978.

Patti Smith and Springsteen co-wrote the song together.

eddie vedder. he likes U2, and is cooler than most of the people mentioned in this thread.

I vote for Bon Jovi and Def Lepoard... I think they would produce some interesting speeches...

I can't see Chris Martin being a good speech or Morello... Martin would be too fawning and Morello to politicized (maybe). Vedder would be too politicized or serious and then probably try to be funny but no one would get his jokes.

A good speaker/ speechwriter would be great, but too bad U2 can't induct themselves...

Flying FuManchu said:
Why? I think the fact that they are Bon Jovi and Def Lepoard would make for interesting speeches.

It would definitely be interesting, like watching a car wreck or something... :scream:

Sorry, I'm just not a big fan. Have you ever read or heard them saying something about U2?

BonoVoxSupastar said:
You can be a good friend and still be in a shitty band.

I reckon Bono should practice a bit of "Friends don't let friends be in shitty bands."

Def Leppard are not a 'shitty' band. I get so tired of this. They were big before the 'hair metal' craze broke in the late 80's, yet they are continually lumped with them. I personally have no problem with Bon Jovi either. I was in high school in the 80's and those bands, like U2, hold special memories for me. They are also kickass driving music and party music.

But I don't think they will induct them because, again, they are contemporaries (same age, same time period of success) But I do expect both Def Leppard and Bon Jovi to make the Hall of Fame too.

I wouldn't mind it being Chris Martin, but I honestly don't see why Michael Stipe or Peter Buck can't do it. If they're fans, and friends, why not?

U2 hung with Bon Jovi in Cleveland when both were on tour and their jets were parked side by side. U2 attended their concert and they partied into the night together.

It would be really shallow to judge whether or not a person was worthy of your friendship based on if you do the same type of music or not.

after all the posts so far, i still see stipe, REM being the most fitting inductors...their professional lives and friendships seem to jive better

but on the other hand, getting an artist who's completely on the other side of the music spectrum to induct them wouldnt be out of question- say wyclef jean or lauren hill- showing the impact their music has had crossing genres. wyclef had a great contribution to marley in the rolling stone 'greatest artists' issue

fah said:

Why wouldn't he be....I have seen photos of Bono and Van Morrison together.

Just because he hangs out with Bono doesn?t mean that he is a U2 fan or that he knows U2?s catologue enough to make a speech and stuff. Nothing against him cause if he in fact is a fan then that would probably work just fine.

I have never seen an R&R Hall of Fame show that I can recall. Can it be more than one person? I'd like to the see the stage filled with many artists from different eras and genres, paying respect to the young upstarts from Dublin.
but if it can only be one person who makes a speech that can sum up their career and rightly describe their deserved place in the Hall of Fame( top shelf ..imho:sexywink:...)
well it better be someone who is eloquent
**puts thinking cap on**

Back
Top Bottom