Who should induct U2 to The Rock N? Roll Hall Of Fame?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:uhoh:...

O-kay...personally, I don't mind Coldplay, but if others don't care for them, whatever. They have their reasons.

Also...

I'll go for the older crowd...Lou Reed, Bob Dylan (told them not to forget their folk heritage), Sting (if he can be humble), Bruce Springsteen, Mick Jagger.

Michael Stipe, Billy Corgan, Elvis Costello or Van Morrison would be my next group to choose from.

I agree with this (Bono inducted Bruce, so Bruce could return the favor, eh? :D). Out of this list, I could see Bruce, possibly Sting, Mick, or Elvis as the most likely candidates.

And I do agree with U2Kitten...R.E.M. and U2 being inducted together would be cool (it's really weird for me to think that R.E.M. is almost at the point where they'll be eligible to be inducted...for some reason, it doesn't seem like it's their time yet).

Headache made a good post, too, by the way. :up:.

Angela

Being courteous is boring and doesn't get as much of a response...

:)

Is REM eligible the same year U2 is? If they are, then its not going to happen that Stipe will induct them. Also IF REM is inducted the same year, Yorke and company will probably the be no.1 choice for REM and not U2. Just the way the cookie crumbles.

If Morello really feels that way about U2, then he's moved up on my list.

It would make my day if Scott Stapp inducted U2 or was one of the inductors. I would of course prefer guys like Costello, Martin, or Morello but if Stapp was given the shot, I wouldn't look down on that choice...

I figured Hetfield, Lars, and Hammett had a respect for U2 and I do think they like Achtung Baby. Hell, they got Anton Corbjin to do album pics for St. Anger. It would be cool but the thing is I don't think U2 really cares for metal music... sort of hurts Metallica's chances in being inductors. Metallica should be the hall too....

Flying FuManchu said:
I figured Hetfield, Lars, and Hammett had a respect for U2 and I do think they like Achtung Baby. Hell, they got Anton Corbjin to do album pics for St. Anger. It would be cool but the thing is I don't think U2 really cares for metal music... sort of hurts Metallica's chances in being inductors. Metallica should be the hall too....

You?re very right, they probably will be inducted in the future. They totally deserve it! They?ve been using Anton since the Loads by the way. I never really thought that they would ever induct U2, I just said it would be cool when someone suggested it, you don't associate one band to the other not just because of the sound but because they don?t' even know each other (not that we know of at least) but I don't believe in this U2 doesn?t care for Metal. I have an interview where Bono from the POP era where Bono says that POP has everything: rock, electronic, pop, metal, trash.... I swear that's what he says, maybe not in that order but he says it and in another interview where he says something like "Whether it's rock, pop or metal we all want to get the same kind of feelings across...." something like that. One of the things that I like about U2 is that they are not afraid of genres barriers and stuff and during some interviews about the next album he said something like ?It?s metal to the pedal? and what about Full Metal Jacket?! Plus U2 are fans of Thin Lizzy who a lot of people say it?s a Heavy Metal band (it?s one James Hetfield?s favorite bands by the way, they even did a cover of Whiskey In The Jar). Anyway who doesn?t know Metallica usually likes to be aggressive about them mainly because they have distorted and wrong views of Heavy Metal, it?s a pain in the ass, I hate that but let?s move on. I like the idea of Noel inducting U2, he would prepare a good speech.

U2Kitten said:
It's not that its' THEIR business, it's that I find it insulting that they want our money (for CDs and concerts!) and the country is not good enough to raise his kid in. I didn't even know he was asking for money for make trade fair, but if he is, any American would be crazy to give. It's those types of programs that have sent jobs overseas and cut wages here to where many average hard working families can't afford a home (like me!) Two people now earn less than one did years ago, and it's getting worse. No, I don't believe it's okay to send some jobs overseas so some people can have jobs there while more lose them here. Spread the pain around? Is that right? I'm all for people in other countries having jobs but when you hurt people in another country, someone is always hurt. Surely there is a better way. I have seen this happen in my lifetime and could lecture on it, so no, I do not support his cause at all. Bono's AIDS funding and debt reduction, yes, but not that.

Speaking of Make trade fair, Martin wrote that on his arm in pencil and Liam Gallagher made fun of him. That's something I love about the Gallagher brothers besides their music, they hate Chris Martin and joke on him. Good on ya guys! :up:

Martin is a weasly, whiney little twit who is full of himself and I'm really tired of hearing about him. That's one of the reasons I feel the way I do about them, the ad nauseum hype and overrating, especially here on this forum. Okay, that's all I'm going to say. Don't bother to bash me again, you won't change my mind and I won't change yours. No need to have the thread closed.

don't know if you know but bono is also a supporter of the make trade fair thing as you will find on http://www.maketradefair.com/en/pages/29092003093641.htm
and many other links.

Even the terrible Noel Galagher that you proudly presented as a Chris Martin hater is a supporter of mtf. See http://www.maketradefair.com/es/pages/03042003130131.htm

sorry if this flames you and bash you and insults you and your country.

have fun.

:sigh: Whatever BF I don't feel like fighting anymore. I don't have to like everything a person does to enjoy their music and like them as a person. That would be pretty shallow. No one is going to agree with everyone all the time :shrug:

I do want to clarify something though, what I mean by jobs leaving the country is that it used to be people, average poor people who couldn't afford college could get a good job with high pay and have a decent, not rich, but decent life. Now with all this trade shit, the US companies could not compete with the places that paid their workers much less in other countries, (because the cost of living is much less in some places) so the American jobs were lost or the wages drastically reduced. Now America is quickly losing its middle class and becoming a country of the rich and the poor with more and more poor all the time. But of course no one cares because they all think we're a rich country and should give all our money away anyway. The country may be rich but there are millions of poor and struggling people here. I think every country has a duty to take care of its own poor before it takes care of any else's, be it mine, yours, Bono's, or Salome's.

But there is one thing I do agree with fair trade on and that is how they choose their 'favored nations.' Like, China is a favored nation, but why? Other countries are embargoed for their human rights violations but China has some terrible violations, yet they still keep them as favored? Who is that a favor to? It was Clinton who did that. It's because the "made in China" toys and cheap stuff is a good deal for US businesses, so they are hypocritical about the rights stands! I don't like that either. If the companies got things made in the US or in some other countries they would have to pay more to the workers and they don't want to. They still make the profit but they want to keep it all themselves. So, no, I don't think the government of the US (REGARDLESS of political party in power) cares about the poor and struggling in the US either. No one does. Not our government, certainly not the big US corporations, not even rock stars from other countries. Nobody. :sigh: :(

Last edited:
But do you see the difference between saying "I don't like Coldplay" (fair enough; I would have thought the average U2 fans wouldn't have a problem with them) and saying "I hate Chris Martin"? (Many U2 haters do the same; when they claim they don't like U2 it actually turns out they have a problem with Bono)

Overseas jobs are an economical matter - I don't see what it has to do with Martin's make trade fair efforts. (wants US money for CDs and concerts? By all means, no one is forced to listen to them or see their live shows. again, he and Gwyneth made perfectly valid reasons why they prefer raising their children outside of US - and why should they do it? just because Gwyneth is American?)

BTW I thought Coldplay "defenders" were a lot more civil than some of your posts, you've made it clear over and over again you don't like them on this board.

i had a weird idea - anthony kiedis and/or flea inducting them...another one of the few bands to have staying power over the last 15 years or so...the remain relevant and popular while not abandoning THEIR sound, as U2 does. i want to say that i remember flea saying some good comments about U2 on an MTV2 special- 22 greatest bands...anyone able to help on that one??

Moonlit_Angel said:
[BThat was a little harsh. I don't think Vampira meant any disrespect with their comment.
[/B]

Thank you, I sure didn't! When I said they had nothing to do with U2 I didn't mean they were enemies. I mean there is no connection, they never hung out, were not an influence on each other, and never even talked about each other. So there is nothing there that would make the people who choose the presenters ever think to pick Hetfield any more than they would, say Garth Brooks or Usher? :shrug:

I am sorry. I did not mean to say anything rude about Metallica so don't get mad. I don't hate their music but I am mad about Lars ruining Napster and the online music downloading stuff.:(

Now, if U2, REM and RHCP were to be inducted on the same night that would totally rock my sox!! :dance:

R.E.M. won't be eligible for another year or two after U2 - Radio Free Europe was released in '81 and Chronic Town in '82. So Stipe (or all 3 of them) could do it...

My bets are on Chris Martin, Bruce or Elvis Costello doing it though.

Vampira said:
Thank you, I sure didn't! When I said they had nothing to do with U2 I didn't mean they were enemies. I mean there is no connection, they never hung out, were not an influence on each other, and never even talked about each other. So there is nothing there that would make the people who choose the presenters ever think to pick Hetfield any more than they would, say Garth Brooks or Usher? :shrug:

I am sorry. I did not mean to say anything rude about Metallica so don't get mad. I don't hate their music but I am mad about Lars ruining Napster and the online music downloading stuff.:(

*Nods* Exactly.

And you're welcome. :).

Angela

U2girl said:

Then don't bring it up ad nauseum on this forum.

Umm, the 'ad nausem' topic was Coldplay, (and I did NOT bring it up, nor was I the first person to say I didn't like them yet I was the only one bashed) it was the trade crap I didn't want to talk about. Mostly I didn't want to fight with YOU because I thought you were my friend. :(

Anyway when it's obvious someone has had enough please let it go. If there's anything worse than fighting it's fighting over NOT fighting;)

No, this was a perfectly peaceful debate on who will induct U2 into RAR Hall of fame. The fact is, whether people like Coldplay or not, Chris Martin IS a possible option.
I don't see why it turned into Coldplay bashing thread - it's not about you being the only one to critisize them but you did it the most, day after day in this thread.

People disagreeing doesn't mean they can't get along otherwise - I don't think any less of you for your opinion - I just don't share it. :)

Last edited:
Um, realistically speaking of course. Fred Durst has no chance IMO of inducting them.

There is one person you are all forgetting:

AXL ROSE!

just kidding:wink: (all though he is a u2 fan!)

jick said:
I think Avril Lavigne would be a good choice, with her punk roots just like how U2 had their roots with the Ramones and the Clash. I'd rather have unique artists who havea similar genesis as U2 induct them, rather than have wannabe-U2-clones-who-never-quite-made-it like Stipe or Yorke to do it. Another good choice would be Sean Lennon and Lisa Marie Pressly - on behalf of their fathers whose songwriting (Lennon) and showmanship (Elvis) U2 have greatly surpassed.

Cheers,

J
I can't get behind you on Avril..... a bit too young (and clueless) for my liking. :shrug: But I think Lisa Marie is a VERY inspired choice - I mean, there's no denying Elvis' influence on U2. And besides, I love her attitude! :mac:

After reading this thread, "chip on your shoulder" is a little too weak a phrase. Perhaps "screaming blood-red block on your shoulder" might work better.

It's...just...a...friggin...band. She likes em, you don't, he does, that girl doesn't...whatever. Disagreeing is not equivalent to insulting.

Get over it.

There is no one person who can induct them.

They are the only relevant power band stiall around (aside from the Rolling Stones) so the following would have to happen.

The band should be inducted by three groups of people:

Those that came before them:

Mick Jagger
Paul McCartney
Bob Dylan

Those that were alongside them:

Michael Stipe
Bob Geldof
Bruce Springsteen

And those that learned and followed them:

Tom Morello
Billy Corgan
Eddie Vedder
Thom Yorke
Chris Martin

That to me would be a fitting attribute...

Back
Top Bottom