Who Should Induct U2 and WHY!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hey Carrie! :wave:

permission to quote me if you want!

awesome thread...i've loved the input peeps have given...some really good ones that have been mentioned....such as Michael Stipe and/or R.E.M., Pete Townshend, and Bruuuce. Great choices! I kinda disagree with the Chris Martin and Thom Yorke mentions, though....I don't know, to me it just wouldn't fit. But that's just my opinion. Much respect to these two, though, as I am a fan of both. :)

I'm floored and elated that a few of you have mentioned Eddie Vedder! Half the time I wonder if people even remember him here at interference.

I think he is a fantastic choice! He would fit the part and then some.

He is not a newbie to inducting people to the RNRHOF. In the past, he has inducted The Doors, Neil Young, and most recently The Ramones. All of his speeches have been witty yet HILARIOUS. I don't know if any of you remember his Ramones speech. He mentioned Edge and Bono amongst others who feel indebted to The Ramones. He was so funny when he went on about how he does the yardwork for Johnny Ramone, and Edge and Bono do his windows (LOL) and Kirk Hammett(sp?) from Metallica does the housework. :lmao: So you see, Eddie's got a grand sense of humour, and I think he'd know exactly how to pull off a U2 HOF induction. Now back that up with his brain and his love of U2, and here we have a great candidate!

Don't think he's a fan of U2? Think again.

He's been spotted at a few Elevation shows....our own lovely Hello Angel (Carrie) got to meet Eddie in the Heart at the Vegas show in Nov 2001....he was also at the LA shows....and at Irving Plaza. So, yeah needless to say he's a fan.

Want more proof? Just ask our own Headache in a Suitcase to dig up that article...(or was it a journal entry?) written by a guy who grew up with Eddie. He now works in the music/entertainment biz. He mentioned how Eddie had this jacket that was completely covered in U2 and Bono buttons. He quipped how that was so "12 yr old girl" or something like that. Hey if Headache could post that thing I'm talking about here, that would be awesome!

Just that alone proves that Eddie is a huge fan. Jeez...even I didn't do the buttons thing! :lmao: Did you guys? lol! Wow...talk about 1983!!

Are they friends (Ed and U2)? I'd say so. Eddie and Bono were spotted together this summer at the Democratic convention in Boston. I believe it was outside of Whiskey Park.

On a PJ board a couple of years back, a guy from Brazil announced that he was a waiter at a restaurant there (didn't say which for obvious reasons...privacy!)...and he just so happened to be the waiter for Bono and Eddie who were having dinner together. In Brazil! He was freaking out because these 2 guys were his favourite frontmen of all time...and there he was serving the two! I'd be a waiter ANY day for those two! :drool:

I'd love to substantiate that story with a link...but that was a couple of PJ boards ago and they haven't archived anything from that now defunct board. But believe me, this guy was not shitting anyone. His excitement was proof alone...he wouldn't say anything else other than he served Eddie and Bono....which I guess it out of respect for privacy. Kudos to him for that. :up:

Anyhow...Eddie is the ideal choice...and I swear I hear Eddie's voice in Yahweh...the lower doubling vocal in Yahweh sounds so much like Eddie it's uncanny. Yah yah, I know it's Bono...but it really does sound like Eddie. Just wow.

/long ass rambling

Last edited:
I'd never heard any of Eddie's induction speeches and was unsure how big of a U2 fan he was. Thanks for posting that, mmmBono. I'm still stuck on the idea of Bruce doing the U2 induction because I'm such a huge fan, but I love Eddie too. Maybe they could both do it, sort of like how both Edge and Tom Morello inducted the Clash. It would be perfect!

foray said:
Nelson Mandela would be incredible.

foray

He can hardly talk:|

I'm really not understanding the "Bruce" connection here :scratch: I'm not a fan, but I just don't get how or why he'd be chosen. Probably the only reason Bono was chosen for him was because he had a rep with the Hall having inducted before, and he was the best among the younger generation of artists for being a good presenter with a lot of personality.

Last edited:
Bono's shades said:
I'd never heard any of Eddie's induction speeches and was unsure how big of a U2 fan he was. Thanks for posting that, mmmBono. I'm still stuck on the idea of Bruce doing the U2 induction because I'm such a huge fan, but I love Eddie too. Maybe they could both do it, sort of like how both Edge and Tom Morello inducted the Clash. It would be perfect!

:up:

and :wave: to drumkeeran!

Bruce & Eddie all the way! Perfect idea!

This idea would truly work considering Bruce and Eddie are fresh off the Vote for Change tour...and have played together for more than a few songs on that tour...hell, Eddie showed up to Bruce's NJ (Meadowlands) show on Oct 13th this year and they played PJ's Betterman. Bruce's crowd was yelling "Eddie! Eddie!" instead of "Bruuuuuce!". It was quite funny and goosebumps-inducing at the same time.

on a sidenote (cuz i always have to have THOSE...can never keep my fookin mouth shut lol):

I was at the dentist earlier this year, in the chair as a matter of fact, mouth cranked open and all....and PJ's Last Kiss comes on the radio. My dentist is humming/singing along...and he asked me:
"Is this Bruce Springsteen?"

:lmao:

yes...there are similarities...and my god you should hear some of Eddie's early demos from 1988, covering Bruce songs....more wows! :drool:

/more long ass rambling :D

gotta love Headache...he's the man!

i *knew* Heachache would come up with the link! He just sent it to me via pm.

Yer awesome, Headache! You are so damn resourceful. I'm forever indebted to you...thank you. :up:

the link to that dude's story about Eddie:

http://www.cathedralstone.net/Pages/PearlJam1.htm

and here's the excerpt about the U2 obsession he had...lol..once again...major thanks go out to Headache. :wave:

here it is:

In the eighties, Eddies musical taste turned to more of the commercial rock and roll genre bands that released singles scoring high on the pop charts. At that time, he was in awe of U2's Bono. He was Eddie's musical mentor of the time, and he followed every move the band made. According to Eddie, when he was younger he had the opportunity to meet Bono in a hotel lobby in Chicago. Bono was so nice to him, and even gave him a hug after they talked for a short time.
From the first day I met Eddie, all I would hear about was U2. In fact, he would wear small U2 buttons with pictures of Bono on his dark leather jacket. I remember laughing to myself when I first saw them. I thought it was going a little too far; kind of like what a 12 year old girl would wear to an early eighties Duran Duran concert. But hey, I think we all did things in the 80's that we're embarrassed by!! He collected many magazines, newspaper articles, and videos of the band. There was no question that he was obsessed with the band.

now how fucking awesome is that?!!!

Eddie should be doing the U2 RNRHOF induction. :up:

Hey, I could dig Eddie Vedder doing the induction. I love PJ's music and think Eddie is a seriously cool dude. I love him and it'd be wonderful to hear/see him doing this.

I'm going with the young... that is Chris Martin...

because he's a fan and the influences and bla bla bla...

not someine older or a person who knows U2...

I really don't think Bono knew Bob Dylan when he introduced... I think is because he was his inspiratioon and was a fan... I don't know if they are FRIENDS, and at the same time I don't think that Bono and Chris are...

I think Eddie Vedder would be a great choice, if REM is touring on that evening (which is a possibility). I just think Stipe makes more sense, but Vedder would be a great choice. I have been a Pearl Jam fan since '92.

I loved when he did the Ramones speech, didn't he have a big bottle of Jack Daniels in his hand?

Anyhow, I know Eddie was at first a bit disenchanted with what U2 and Bono were doing in the 90's, this is in the Flannagan book. But I think it's evidenced in many places that he still holds the band in high regard. I think if U2 were defunct, he would publicly praise them and pay tribute to them even more. But seeing how they (Pearl Jam) are basically peers with U2 now, it wouldn't make much sense.

I'd rather have Vedder do it than say, Chris Martin. Pearl Jam have made 7 albums and have toured for the better part of 13 years and have really established themselves, whereas, Coldplay, a really good band, could prove to be a flash in the pan. After all they've only made two albums. There are a littany of bands/artists who've made two succesful albums only to run their creative well dry.

I think Stipe is going to be on tour anyways. Even Tom Morello would be a good choice. He would really give it up to U2 in a speech.

I think all these suggestions of Vedder, Stipe, Bruce are excellent, but I think Chris Martin lacks the carisma and speaking abilities the others have, I've seen some of his acceptance speeches. Like Coldplay, but don't think Chris would be a good choice at all.

My choice would be........Henry Rollins.....coz he needs the work. Seems like everytime I turn on VH1, he's given soundbites to every freakin show they have on the air! 100 Greatest Blah Blah Blah, I Love the 80's, Old Henry's always on.

But seriously, I like the Vedder suggestion. There's always left field choices like Chrisse Hynde or Lou Reed.

In March anyone calling Coldplay a flash in the pan is gonna have egg on thier face.
TRUST me, this comes from someone who has heard the album.

If Johnny Cash was still alive, I would have to pick him easily. But since he is gone, Id go with Stipe definetely. Two major influences on both mainstream rock and alternative rock.

and yes, you can quote me on that:wink:

What about BB King? I think he's really been important to U2 and will obviously have some stories to tell of their partnership...

Permission granted:wink:

Last edited:
Induction

I think that it should be the fifth member of U2....Paul McGuinness...

Last edited:
From the mmmBono posts it seems Eddie Vedder should do it for a few reasons:

1. He is a fan and knows what the U2/fan connection is.
2. He is younger than U2 and was influenced by them.
3. He's done these type of speeches in the past.
4. His band has a conscience too and make great music.
5. PJ will one day also be in the HOF.

Permission granted.

Michael Stipe. He's been close to the band for so long, and recently even went as far as saying 'Bono taught me how to write songs again' or something like that. Stipe just seems to have so much respect for U2, I feel like whatever he would say, it would be completely honest.

I hope it's not Bruce.

It should be someone big like Springsteen, Sting, or even Mick Jagger. Yea I know usually the inductor is someone who was influenced by the band like Gwen Stefani for the The Police.

But for U2 it's different, they are not only one of the biggest bands, but they are a legend. The Beatles got inducted by Mick Jagger. They will soon be up there with the Beatles and Stones. So I think it should be Bruce Springsteen. If not, then Sting.

Bill Clinton?? Please tell me you are kidding. I don't think they want LIAR LIAR inducting them. I think they deserve somone more respected that that.

yeah they don't want Liar Liar,
They want LIAR LIAR LIAR so we should get W.
He could just make up stuff about them and stutter.
It would be great.
"Bono useta call ma daddy"...

Back
Top Bottom