Who Should Induct U2 and WHY!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2One said:

Agreed!!! couldnt have said it better myself. If you watch the little video montage from the UK Hall of Fame, there are a few clips of Noel saying some really great things about U2. i.e. "in my mind, there's no doubt that U2 are right up there with the Beatles" or something like that....

Thanks! I'd love to see that.

Their "Behind the Music" is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

HelloAngel: you probably don't want to, but you can quote me.

Thom Yorke....because U2 made it okay for Radiohead to get away with a Kid A.....and I'm glad they did b/c that's one of my favorite albums. Radiohead started out as straight-forward rock band, but then flipped their sound upside down, a la U2. Experimentation became cool again (Zooropa, Passengers) and then Radiohead made a career out of it....and a great career mind you.

But, honestly the best people speech-wise would be Sting, Bowie, Eno, Gabriel, some of those guys.

I love the Boss, but I don't think he's the best guy for a speech about U2. Bono's induction speech blew the Boss's acceptance speech away from what I can remember. But then again, the speech-thing is Bono's repertoire...he owns that.

Anyway, that's what I think.

How about just an ordinary, articulate, lifelong fan? (Only those of impeccable emotional health need apply of course.)

Come to think of it, if you add smashing good looks to my above criteria, I'd be a prime candidate for the job.

you can use this if you want, although I doubt you will.

I think it should be a peer, not a "fan". I think it should be a contemporary of U2, not an influence or an admirer. Why? Because I'd rather see Peter Gabriel or whomever talking about how much he loves the band because he KNOWS them as opposed to just knowing their music. Everyone knows how great the music is, it's a given. But to have a great musician talk about the band and the love for the band, as musicians and as people, that could be special. With that said, I want Michael Stipe.

Feel free to quote me.

I don't think it should be Chris Martin at all - this isn't a Brit Award or a Grammy that we're talking about here, it's the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - this is a huge accolade that I think should be presented by someone who U2 themselves admire as opposed to someone who admires U2. Either that, or a personal friend - someone like Michael Stipe. Pete Townshend would be ideal - Bono mentioned only recently that The Who were U2 's idols around the time of Band Aid.

The woman that Bono jumped out to in his infamous leap at BandAid....that one moment impacted U2 in a tremendous way as Bono was trying to bridge the gap between band and fans. U2 grew into something bigger than themselves after that...being a fan of U2 became a real culture and community. Accepting the award from someone like her would honor that moment and other's in U2's career where they have gone above and beyond.

Otherwise, if it'd have to be a peer....my vote would be Pete Townshend. As much as I like Christ Martin....no.

(quoteable)

Last edited:
Hmmm...this is a great question. Again I'll say gabriel just bc of his artistry and also his human rights work which could also be said for Sting-Sting is also quite the wordsmith. I'd love to see Bowie I just don't know if he'd write such a great speech which is what we all want. I want someone who is going to sum up U2 from their personalities to their music to their spirit. they also have to mention us, the "tribe" I think u2 is a hard band to sum up and its going to be a mountain of pressure on whoever does it. I hope they pick someone who takes it seriously and doesn't turn it into a joke and play down such a major achievement. I think the Oasis idea is BAD!.
they also do something stupid, or act drunk or fight or curse etc. it will make a mockery of the band and they deserve someone with CLASS.
Dylan and Springsteen are great ideas but they don't seem close enough. I think they'll go with Jagger bc he is the elder statesman of Rock right now and the only man deserving in the "Rolling Stone" magazine kind of view if you know what I mean.
Elvis Costello just bc he is such a great fan.
How about Chris Blackwell?
Quincy Jones?
Paul McCartney?
I'm not saying these are my picsa byt they are possibilities we may overlook.
Eddie Vedder perhaps?
God I can't wait for the ALL Star Jam at the end. all the nominees and inductors will get onstage and jam a U2 song-which will it be?
It has to be a "normal" song, one that can be played easily (Brings up the Dylan quote about people not being able to play their songs in the future bc they are so complicated"
I think maybe Desire, One or Still Haven't Found.
Maybe this time a roadie won't blow out Edge's amp.
Which reminds me-Neil Young?

Actually....Henry Rollins should have to get up onstage and say-I'm an idiot and then praise the boys.
Perfect Punishment for all his bad films.

Knuckle said:
How about just an ordinary, articulate, lifelong fan?

I thought of that before, I'd write a great speech and deliver it with love! Me! Me! :hyper:

(Only those of impeccable emotional health need apply of course.)

Damn :sigh:

i disagree with the opinions about bill clinton.....he is the man who pardoned marc rich against all advisers. Marc Rich is one of the leading men who is behind the iraqi oil for food scandals that is just coming out. i really hope u2 distance themselves from him on that night after all that info coming out....but to each his own.

I think it should be Pete and Roger, the surviving original members of the Who.

They are the classic rock band most similar to U2, from the volcanic album creation process to their
reputation as a live act to their similar lyrical styles. As a music fan, no matter what your personal politics were, you could adopt a song like Bullet the Blue Sky or We Won't get Fooled again as your own.

U2Kitten said:

Thanks! I'd love to see that.

Their "Behind the Music" is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

HelloAngel: you probably don't want to, but you can quote me.

hahaha, yea, they'r'e behind the music thing is great!!! i especially love how liam needs subtitles when he talks

:lmao: That was so funny! I like the way they describe how they beat up their deadbeat dad too. He was a drunk and the boys and the mother left one night while he was at the bar. Years later, he tried to meet them at a Dublin Hotel (probably to ask for money) and they kicked his ass. It was funny the way they told it. The stealing cakes on the plane story had me rolling too. :laugh: They've really got it, that's why they should induct U2!

i think it should be eddie vedder and michael stipe because they have demonstrated over pretty decent amounts of time, a very similar sort of "stick to your guns" attitude that is so respected in u2. not only in music, but in their values and approach to life.
i am not sure if eddie would do it. not saying he wouldn't, i just don't know that much about his relationship with the band.
chris martin would certainly do it and i think he would be a worthy choice. i believe it should be artists who make powerful music, be it rock or whatever, who have been influenced by u2's example to use that power to make a positive impact. another artists who fits this bill is wyclef jean.
i love oasis like mad, but i just don't think they should be up there for this. (although part of me would love to see it.)
i think it should be more than one person for sure.
i do not think clinton or any politician type should do it. it should be coming from a musician because for all of the gifts u2 have, without music, they'd never have entered our consciousness.
of course, bob geldof or gavin friday would be the ideal choices, but i can't see that happening as the hall does seem to like more well-known artists to give speeches.
but i am sure u2 will get who they want in the end.

My vote goes to Pete Townshend. Who(!) better to give the introduction. He comes from a band with similar styles and same musical format (three piece with a howling lead vocalist). They are both guitar driven bands, and Bono has this love-affair with the Who as a band.

It is documented that Bono has sometimes consulted Pete regarding life as a rock star. So Pete has history with the band and the band admires him. I just think he's the best choice.

(permission granted)

My vote goes to Bruce Springsteen. He's been going to U2 shows and hanging out with the band since their very early days in the U.S. and he is capable of doing a fantastic induction speech (I loved the one he did for Jackson Browne during last year's RHOF ceremony, and I don't even like Jackson Browne!) Plus it would be a great way for him to repay Bono for the fantastic speech he did for the Boss when he was inducted!

(You can quote me if you think any of this is actually worth quoting.)

U2Kitten said:
The person who inducts an artist/band is almost always a younger band who was influenced by the inducted artist.

U2Kitten is right on. It will be someone younger than the band. Maybe not even by much but thats how they do these things.

Springsteen!! or maybe Stipe...But Springsteen would be my first choice :) as someone has already mentioned - returning the favour to Bono ;) (and btw Bono had a great speech for him)

why not myself??? i'm a huge fan from the beggining, i grew with them and i think no one better than a fan could express the influence of a rock band as u2 in what matters most , the people.
and last but not the least i would really apreciatte a free trip to usa cause i want so badly to go there and i don't have the money!!!
and now something completly diferent, my presence there would make some diference because i'm taking a master degree in devlopment (a matter that Bono talks alot) and i just like jonh lennon would like to say something about some clapping and jewlery noises.

and you can quote me on that

Forgot to give permission on one of the first messages (and this one)

After reading following posts, I still think that Chris Martin should do it.

I agree that younger bands should do it (although not sure what are the stats on this) because they are bands that can thank them the most for what they have accomplished in music history and prove their influence!

Not sure what the grammys or other award shows/galas have anything to do with this RNRHOF, it is not nationality bounded nor even style bound (as a first rapper almost got inducted).

Although Stipe, Gabriel, Springsteen are good choices, they are mostly friends of U2 but were not influenced by them....I'd like to think personally that someone who was influenced the most by U2 (and got some success by doing so) should get to induct them.

If they want a musician with real insight into U2 as people and as a band, Gavin Friday would be the choice. Obviously he isn't as accomplished as the artists mentioned by others here, but he certainly knows U2. He might be an interesting pick.

Personally I think U2 will want someone who illustrates U2's impact upon the world rather than just upon other musicians. I don't think U2 will choose Stipe, Sting, or Yorke because they are not in the highest echelon of rock artists (they are in the second tier); McCartney, Jagger, Springsteen are in the first in that they are artists who have reached beyond the rock world and conquered a general audience.

Because I don't think U2 will find a artist of suitable caliber who they have influenced. The truth is that U2 have simply not influenced rock musical style to the degree that other elite rock artists have.

Back
Top Bottom