Who´s gonna ride your wild horses appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yimou

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Oh, the deeper I spin
Oh, the hunter will sin for your ivory skin
Took a drive in the dirty rain
To a place where the wind calls your name
Under the trees the river laughing at you and me
Hallelujah, heavens white rose
The doors you open
I just can't close

I love this song to death. The album version, the Temple bar mix and especially the amazing live versions from Zootv and even the Vertigo tour. I wont go too far and say that its the greatest song ever, but it is certainly one of the most beautiful songs i have ever heard.

:bow: Thank you U2 for giving us this song

Don't turn around, don't turn around again
Don't turn around, your gypsy heart
Don't turn around, don't turn around again
Don't turn around, and don't look back

:dance: ZoostationEvenbetterthantherealthingOneUntiltheendof theworldWho´sgonnarideyourwildhorsesSocruelTheflyMysteriouswaysTryin`tothrowyourarmsaroundtheworldUltravioletAcrobatLoveisblindness

wasn't there just one of these? not that the song doesn't deserve it. I hope that from now on it will have a permanent or semi-permanent spot in the setlist. To hear it live would just be heaven.

:applaud:

Was listening to Achtung today in my car and singing along to Wild Horses. I reached home before it was over but couldn't turn it off... so I sat in the parking lot and listened to the whole thing.

I esp. :heart: the parts you quoted, both lyrically and musically! Back in the early 90s, it used to be my fav song from Achtung along with Even Better. At the time, I hadn't yet heard Until The End, Fly or Acrobat. :huh: But Who's Gonna Ride is classic nevertheless!

:up:

Lemonfix said:
wasn't there just one of these? not that the song doesn't deserve it. I hope that from now on it will have a permanent or semi-permanent spot in the setlist. To hear it live would just be heaven.

Maybe,, I looked for one but found nothing.. Anyway the song deserves more than two appreciation threads. Its simply that good :wink:

yimou said:

:dance: ZoostationEvenbetterthantherealthingOneUntiltheendof theworldWho´sgonnarideyourwildhorsesSocruelTheflyMysteriouswaysTryin`tothrowyourarmsaroundtheworldUltravioletAcrobatLoveisblindness

rock on~! :rockon:

Listening to the Boston version (Vertigo tour) now... :heart: Wild Horses is wonderful, I can't believe it stayed on the Achtung Baby Worst Song Survivor Thread for so long :madspit: a perfect example of how well Bono's more open, obvious lyrics can work... man I love Achtung Baby.

Sorry I don't like it, I think it is all the sha la la's and the wild horses thing is kind of hokey. Also, I once read that it is a song about Bono and Winona Ryder having an affair, that may just be a rumor. but it taints the song for me and makes me ill to think about.:sad:

I kind of laugh at the "Well you stole it 'cos I needed the cash" line if it is about Winona.:wink:

faithingrace said:
Sorry I don't like it, I think it is all the sha la la's and the wild horses thing is kind of hokey. Also, I once read that it is a song about Bono and Winona Ryder having an affair, that may just be a rumor. but it taints the song for me and makes me ill to think about.:sad:

I kind of laugh at the "Well you stole it 'cos I needed the cash" line if it is about Winona.:wink:

What? That's a rumor, Bono has never had an affair. And if he was ever gonna have an affair, it would be with me, not Winona Ryder!! :madspit: :wink:

don't taint this thread...:sad:

faithingrace said:

LOL!! That's mean (heh). Winona's a cool gal.

And no, I don't think they had an affair. They were/are just good friends. Kinda like a funny younger sister, older brother or something relationship... is how I always saw it. Just because someone is brunette with brown eyes (like Ali), and is female... doesn't mean he's having an affair with her. lol. Can't guys have good female friends without people thinking its something more?
Whats with all the "she looks like ali, so he must be having an affair with her.." crap? hlf of these women look nothing like Ali.. just have the same hair color and eye color.. which doesn't mean anything.

What next.. Bono and Tom Cruise are having an affair with eachother? He's brunette... (oh but has blue eyes.. I think.)
Now... that would be a funny tabloid headline. :huh:

BTW, Faithingrace... this post wasn't a blast at you.. it was toward the people who made/make these rumors originally... (tabloids, weird fans, etc.)

yimou said:
Oh, the deeper I spin
The doors you open
I just can't close

some of my favorite u2 lyrics.

Brilliant tune off a brilliant album.

I have Wild Horse's on my cell phone incoming calls. It isn't the bands but a music version. It is cool. I would love to believe that Bono would never have an affair. We really don't know do we? We are not him or Ali, so we would never know. But I like to believe that he is extremely faithful. :wink: :wink:

MattFromNYC said:
this is gonna sound weird, but whats the term "wild horses' in this sense really mean exactly? yes, i am stupid.

female genitalia, in a literal sense.

in a general/abstract sense, a combination of sexual thrill and romantic possibility.

the song is all about sexual jealousy.

I think the Temple Bar Mix is just about as good/better than the album version

This song has about as many mixes as Hawkmoon right?

After listening to Ali and the lyrics of U2 and Bono I highly doubt he has had an affair. Don't get into a tabloid mindset. It's a great song, btw

I'm not gonna touch any Bono/Ali/Winona love triangle with a ten foot pole. But in that same vein, when the song (and all of AB) was being written weren't both Edge and Gavin Friday going through tough breakups of longterm relationships/marriages? I'm sure this had to influence Bono's lyrics.

Nobody's mentioned the great guitar intro to the song. It's almost a Sonic Youth cacophany that opens up to a wide sky romantic painting. Of course the lyrics immediately begin to belie that romantic setting with barbs like "you're a piece of empty glass left there on the beach". AB is definately the greatest set of romantic strife songs of all time. Tremendous emotional range on the matter of committed love is covered here.

I love this song. I was really pissed off that they started playing this live after I had seen the band in Manchester. Intead I got the same old All I Want Is You and I Still havent Found which I have seen them do live before but I aint seen them do Wild Horses.

and what about the VIDEO?

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Not happy about the Winona Ryder inference. Sure this won't be true. Makes my head hurt :(

sarahlou said:

Not happy about the Winona Ryder inference. Sure this won't be true. Makes my head hurt :(

I can say with almost complete certainty that there was nothing to this rumor, simply due to the fact that they are still friends (Bono thanked her in the HTDAAB liner notes)--Something tells me that if they did have some extra-marital tryst, they wouldn't still be hangin' out :wink:

I'd never heard the Winona thing. Ya know, if Bono ever did have an affair, somehow I would find it in my heart to overlook it ... but if it was with Winona Ryder ... then I might have to delete all my Bono pictures from my computer. :wink:

Like every single song on Achtung Baby, Wild Horses is brilliant. The lyrics yimou quoted in his first post are some of Bono's greatest. :up:

yimou said:
Oh, the deeper I spin
The doors you open
I just can't close

the minute i saw this thread, i was gonna post these particular lyrics. so beautiful. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom