Who produced "The Sweetest Thing"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prmdbr

Babyface
I happen to notice that "The Sweetest Thing" has a distinctly bright quality not really found on U2 projects from that period; late 90s.

It definately doesn't sound like a Brian Eno mix or recording.

Just curious because this cute little song ranks among my favorite U2 one offs.

It was originally the b side to where the streets have no name, so it was originally recorded during the joshua tree sesseions. The producers then were Eno, Lanois with Flood there as well, so I would imagine that one of them if not all three had a hand in the original production.
Not sure who remixed it for the best of, but who ever it was they certainly didn't improve it, it was perfect as it was.

If you haven't already, you should check out the other b sides from that era. They are all very original and quirky in their own ways, fairly different to the tracks that made the album and give you something quite different to enjoy :)

Thanks! I had no idea the track dated back so far!!!

I love this forum. I've been a U2 fan for almost 17 years and I learn something new everday.

Glad you like it so much!
If you don't already have it, buy the U2 best of 1980-90, it has a bonus disc featuring most of their b-sides from the decades, its almost as good as listening to the main disc!!
Hope you'll enjoy it!
Gav

Here are the credits for the single version:

Sweetest Thing (The Single Mix): Written by U2. Produced by Steve Lillywhite and Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno. Recorded by Joe O'Herlihy and Pat McCarthy. Additional recording and mixing by Steve Harris. String arrangement by Daragh O'Toole. Strings: Una O'Kane, Nicola Cleary, Aengus O'Connor, Nicholas Milne. Special Thanks to Ali Baba.

And the credits for the B-side:

Sweetest Thing: Written by U2. Produced by U2 with Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno. Engineered by Joe O'Herlihy and Pat McCarthy. Mixed by Mark Wallace.

U2girl said:
Here are the credits for the single version:

Sweetest Thing (The Single Mix): Written by U2. Produced by Steve Lillywhite and Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno.
Yep. the original was produced by Lanois/Eno and the new version by Lillywhite who used the original as a template. If that makes any sense.

Slapnutz said:

Yep. the original was produced by Lanois/Eno and the new version by Lillywhite who used the original as a template. If that makes any sense.

I wonder how much this "Additional recording and mixing by Steve Harris" had a role in the single version. Did Harris only produce/record the strings?

U2girl said:

I wonder how much this "Additional recording and mixing by Steve Harris" had a role in the single version. Did Harris only produce/record the strings?

I think he recorded the overdubs or the new tracks.

O'Herlihy recorded the original.

That's the way I read it.

An Cat Gav said:
Glad you like it so much!
If you don't already have it, buy the U2 best of 1980-90, it has a bonus disc featuring most of their b-sides from the decades, its almost as good as listening to the main disc!!
Hope you'll enjoy it!
Gav

Make sure you're getting the edition that comes with a bonus disc. Most don't.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom