Who Likes the Winter Olympics as much as I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jezebel

War Child
Hey, I know everyone is looking forward to Sundays game (hmmm, can't imagine why)...

But next Friday is the opening ceremony for the Salt Lake games!!! I've always loved watching the Winter Olympics, much more than the Summer Olympics. The beautiful settings...less sports to keep track of....

I was hoping to go the games since they are fairly close by, but my husband and I went to Ireland instead last August, which was actually cheaper than driving to Salt Lake City (sad, but true).

My favorite sport is.....downhill skiing
eek.gif

I looooove the Winter Olympics. They kick the summer olympic's ass.
biggrin.gif
What's NOT to like? Instead of boring track and field and stuff you get glorious ice-skating, thrilling skiing, hockey, people on tiny sleds hurtling down ice tunnels, bobsleds, oh all KINDS of good things. I can't wait!

I always think this...

Winter Olympics is for girls

Summer Olympics is for boys

Winter Olympics is also for the mentally unstable. Anyone fancy jumping off a slope 500 feet off the ground covered in snow while wearing two long planks of metal on your feet while trying to land safely?

I love the Olympics too but the funny thing is that it is the only time I watch stuff like bobsleigh, skeleton, ski jumping, biathlon, speed skating etc. TV rarely shows these events but man, it is exciting to watch during the Olympics. Must be the patriotism involved or something like that.

Go Canada!!

------------------
You give it all but I want more

Typical response Mr I do the back pages
tongue.gif

WInter Olympics is cool because all the nutty sports come out. There's nothing more exciting than watching Aussie guys, where snow most of the time has to be made for our slopes, throw themselves down a giant snow mountian slide on a surfboard with skates.

F
U
N
FUN!!!!

most of the sports in the winter olympics involve a lot of guts, imo.

Any of that downhill skiing looks terrifying, not to even mention the ski jumping (or "flying" as I like to call it), the luge, etc. Hell even hockey is a dangerous sport.
tongue.gif

Originally posted by jezebel:
My favorite sport is.....downhill skiing
eek.gif

2 of our family friends are participating in it. Ivica and Janica Kostelic, and they're both quite legitimate threats for the gold. It's very exciting!
smile.gif

Originally posted by anitram:
2 of our family friends are participating in it. Ivica and Janica Kostelic, and they're both quite legitimate threats for the gold. It's very exciting!
smile.gif

Yes! They are among the favorites....how wonderful for you!

How come no one has asked me what the skeleton is yet?
confused.gif

a few wks ago i decided i had to go. i wanna c Yagudin win the gold medal, and see some live skiing. and guess what you can actually go. i even found some absolutely terrific ice skating tickets. but the bad part. There's no hotel rooms. you can get a motel 6 about 40 miles away for something like $300 a nite! But there are no rental cars! lol. i guess you can hitch. the best hotels are 100% media taken. Like one is all German media, another all French, etc. to buy the tickets at $200 each (they aren't cheap even when not on Ebay), with no hotel room, decided to just watch tv. oo, forgot, does anyone know if the Herminator is gonna be able to compete or not?

[This message has been edited by U2live (edited 02-01-2002).]

Originally posted by anitram:
smile.gif

Your family is friends with Ivica and Janica Kostelic? Cool!
smile.gif

Well, i like the olympics too (the opening ceremony is always so spectacular), i'll be watching men and women slalom, both giant slaloms, men downhill, ski jumping and some ice skating and hockey. Of our competitors, the biggest favorite for winning a medal is Mitja Kunc - he had a really good season in slalom so far.
Also, i'm interested to see whether Bode Miller can stand the pressure of competing in front of US crowd and being a favorite in a such large competition.

ps: Herminator won't compete at the Olympics - he isn't ready yet. He tried to stand on the skis but apparently his leg still hurts bad.

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 02-02-2002).]

My friends and I are getting a keg for the opening ceremony. I think we are competition junkies, it's not so much the spirt of the games, it who wins! (yah, we have issues)

[This message has been edited by WildHoneyAlways (edited 02-02-2002).]

Originally posted by brettig:
from now till the end of the winter olympics, Salome shall be known as Slalom!!!!
can I at least be Slalome?

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

[This message has been edited by Salome (edited 02-02-2002).]

I love the winter olympics and have been watching them all the time since the one in Calgary- even though I have never seen snow in my life there is something very mystical about the winter olympics I think- I love all of the sports, especially the lugers and bobsledders and for all the Aussies I am looking forward to a new series of the Dream- Roy and HG are doing the same thing that they did with the Sydney Olympics for the winter ones- now that will be funny, I can already imagine some of the cracks they are going to make about certain events
smile.gif

Isn't it asking for trouble to have the Olympic Flame at the Winter Olympics?

Anyway, people tend not to remember much about the Winter Olympics. I remember they had something in Calgary, and there was Lillehammer of course. But where else?!

Originally posted by bullet the blue sky:
Isn't it asking for trouble to have the Olympic Flame at the Winter Olympics?

Anyway, people tend not to remember much about the Winter Olympics. I remember they had something in Calgary, and there was Lillehammer of course. But where else?!

Why is it asking for trouble?????? I'm confused....

Of course we don't remember much about the olympics....can you even remember who played in the superbowl last year? (I can't) The 1998 olympics were held in Nagano, Japan. In 1992 (or was it 1994? see, I can't remember!) they were held in Albertville, France. And in 2006, they will be held in, uh, Italy?

Well everyone remembers the Summer Olympics... Sydney, Atlanta, Barcelona, Seoul, Los Angeles, Moscow, Montreal, Munich, Mexico, Tokyo, Melbourne, Helsinki... I mean I could go on
smile.gif

And why is it asking for trouble to have a flame at the Winter Olympics? Surely you can work this out!!

Originally posted by jezebel:
Yes! They are among the favorites....how wonderful for you!

It's very exciting, and I wish I could afford to fly to SLC to see them race. My dad is so excited over them possibly getting medals.
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom