Who likes No Doubt/Garbage better than Nelly/PJ Harvey as openers for U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've wanted to see Garbage since their debut. Garbage opening for U2 is a dream come true! No Doubt...yawn. They bore me. PJ Harvey doesn't really do anything for me, either. I had heard 1 of Nellie's songs before I saw her open for U2 & I thought she was okay. However, I was very impressed with this little girl once I saw her in action. She held the audience's attention- which can be a difficult job when you're opening for U2. She's actually a BIG U2 fan. I bought her CD & I really love it! She writes & produces and plays several instruments, not to mention incorporating her Portugese heritage into her singing style. She's unique & original (don't just judge her on the basis of "Get your Freak On"- I even find it annoying). She's worked very hard and it is evident on her CD. I'm glad I gave her a chance.

[This message has been edited by Julyfly (edited 09-26-2001).]

I am not a fan of female fronted rock bands. I have nothing against any of those people, I would just rather see Oasis, Fuel or Incubus. If I have to stand through it, I want to see a guy. But of course, there are you guy fans who don't get off on seeing the U2 members like us girls do, so I guess you deserve a 'droolworthy' singer too. Oh well.

I loved PJ....I appreciated her more and more each time I saw her. I think she did an awesome job considering most people didn't give a fuck about her.

It actually pissed me off a bit: U2 fans can be pretentious pricks. I mean, I know that in general, opening bands don't get much more than lip service from the crowd, but PJ's not exactly an unknows, the music is good, the fans in the building are *music* fans. People could have at least appreciated and respected what she was doing in there. I got the feeling in DC especially, that there were a lot of "oohhh, I like that U2 song Streets and, oh, what's that other song...One, yeah" kindof fans in the building.

The fans in Boston were so cool to PJ...it was really nice to see that. Columbus was so-so.

*steps off platform*

ANNNNNNYYYYYYYYYWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY

I can't wait to see Garbage. I really respect this band. They're not cutting edge or anything, but they make damn good music that you can move to.

No Doubt would be cool as well, although outside of a few songs, they're not really my thang.....

------------------
To use the old hippy saying, it ain't where you're from, it's where you're at. And right now. If you're listening to this CD, you're already watching the sunset in your mind, feeling the heat on your skin and whilling away the hours. Simply chilled. Best way to keep it, really. -Matthew Kershaw - Ibiza Sunset.

I do!! PJ put me to (-.-)Zzzzz!

------------------
~*Everybody's talkin' about POP Musik!*~

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica* .???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

PJ was brand new to me until they opened for U2 but I really enjoyed their music.
As for No Doubt opening for U2...YAAAAAAAY!!!!
I was hoping/wishing No Doubt would open for U2 since last year, I remember posting about it here..Hey maybe U2 was listening to me.
biggrin.gif

Garbage is great too but I'm so excited to get No Doubt, our very own local band!
smile.gif

I would take Carrot-Top as an opener right now......I'm in Florida....no tour here!!!!!!

------------------
Nate

"Ready for the shuffle
Ready for the deal
Ready to let go of the steering wheel
I'm ready
Ready for the crush"

-Zoo Station

I can't understand how so many people can slam PJ Harvey. This woman is an incredible songwriter, and an extremely talented singer. 'Stories From the City, Stories from the Sea' is phenomenal. I would have thought she would have been appreciated by more U2 fans.

However, that said, I cannot wait to see Garbage in Hamilton. I have always loved them. Should be a blast. Will tell you guys who was better when the show is over.

Peace on Earth.

*scatteroflight starts ranting once again about how she went to school with Nelly Furtado and had Spanish and English with her and is so incredibly jealous of Nelly for opening for U2 and knows that she, scatter, is still a far bigger U2 fan than Nelly*

I have nothing against her music and even like some of it a bit. But her voice can get annoying.

As for PJ, that was the opening act I saw and I didn't really like it. Just not the style I enjoy.

------------------
Their lives are bigger than any big idea

I agree Pop_mofo! I will see how much Garbage rocks at Hamilton as well.

I'm also disappointed to see people ignorantly/foolishly write off PJ Harvey.
As I have been saying, there IS a reason why the critics line up to kiss her ass, why her album made everyone's top 10 list of 2000.

Yes, her songs are considerably more demanding of the listeners than the "Beautiful Day"/"Elevation" fare of the latest U2 album, but I had thought U2's audience was much more in tune with the message and meaning than most bands (in addition, I thought the high ticket prices would scare off the non-devote fans). I have been proven wrong in both instances. That is the probably the most distressing element of U2's success in 2000/01 - the return of the casual fan. (Jason recalls fond memories of PopMart...)

PJ Harvey is definitely my absolute favorite of the 4. I never knew who she was, then i saw her opening, and she was awesome. Her guitarist was stoned and it was absolutely hilarious. As for my 2nd pick it would be Nelly. No Doubt and Garbage can go sit in the corner.

#1 Polly Jean Harveythe queen of mystery and drama. Love these intense reactions to her, both positive AND negative.. visionary, utterly unique artists like her often generate those kind of responses. Not only is she a critics darling, but her fellow artists trip over themselves to sing her praises. (Both Shirley Manson and Gwen Stephani are BIG admirers. 'nuff said!!!)

#2 Garbagewould love to see them! Great double bill. Shirley's not quite the talent PJ is, but she's got attitude to burn!This should be a real treat.

#3 No Doubtmarginally talented band, but they play well together, and have a few really catchy tunes. They would make a great opener, and I'm sure they'll generate a "feel-good" vibe.

#4 Nelly Furtadohaven't heard a lot of her stuff yet, but there may be something there, talent-wise, that isn't immediately obvious on the surface. Her vocal style? unique, but possibly grating. haven't decided yet..

I'll hear Garbage, which I (after a consultation with a friend) determined will be better than No Doubt.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Se7en:
I wish they would've had Travis open...

Totally agree on Travis. They are one hell of sweet band. But NO DOUBT will be just as good. They've always been a up there as far as i'm concerned

I'm just struck by the number of female/female led opening acts U2 has had on this tour...the Corrs, Nelly, PJ, Garbage, No Doubt. Is it a deliberate choice or just a coincidence? Maybe U2 wanted to give the guys in the audience something to drool over? Whatever the reason, it's pretty cool.

Originally posted by atikicat:
I'm just struck by the number of female/female led opening acts U2 has had on this tour...the Corrs, Nelly, PJ, Garbage, No Doubt. Is it a deliberate choice or just a coincidence? Maybe U2 wanted to give the guys in the audience something to drool over? Whatever the reason, it's pretty cool.

They really, really like girls!
smile.gif

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

"The skeletal structure of your foot is not normal." -- my podiatrist 8-6-01

Garbage is outstanding live...
Shirley rocks (and is uber-sexy)...
Butch Vig kicks ass...

My 2 cents

If I had my choice I'd see Garbage. I like No Doubt but to me they're more like a local party band whereas Garbage is more like a world class rock band. Still, No Doubt will be fun.

I'm SO psyched to see Garbage on this leg of the tour. I've been a fan of theirs since their first album came out. I would be equally happy to se No Doubt on this leg. That said, I thought PJ Harvey was superb, and that's coming from someone who had never heard any of her songs before the concert. Also, I saw Nelly Furtado at a concert of her own shortly before I saw U2 in May, and she was superb. U2 just gets great people to open for them, IMHO.

------------------
"You can dream so dream out loud"

No Doubt, Garbage and (especially) P.J. Harvey are far to commercial for my personal liking

I only like bands nobody else has ever heard of

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by Salome:

I only like bands nobody else has ever heard of

And U2 certainly falls into that category.

------------------
"I am so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis." -Zaphod Beeblebrox

Back
Top Bottom