Who Is Henry Rollins?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rollins is a bitter meathead. His anti-corporate posturing would be a lot more credible if he hadn't done ads for Apple Computer (and other big companies), or written a monthly column for Sassy magazine. He's also appeared in several mindless Hollywood films.

In an issue of Rolling Stone from 1992 which contained the annual Reader's Poll for the best music of the previous year, certain artists were asked to name their picks. Rollins went out of his way to slam U2 (even though he was only asked to name his 10 best) by saying "I refuse to endorse current acts like U2 who merely emulate music".

At one point he also make mention of Bono carrying the white flag and said he should be shot. I'm not exaggerating here. Since he's so into violence, I'd love to see his head smashed in with a baseball bat. I'm NOT joking. It would be one thing if he had made a passing comment or two about the band but he seems to not be able to let it go. Maybe a few months in a hospital will give him the time to reevaluate his purpose in life and try doing something more positive. U2 is making the world a better place. What the fuck is he doing?

laz

Last edited:
yimou said:

I must repeat after looking at this photo

Rollins = BEAST :wink:

Years ago i saw his Rollins band at the Roskilde Festival, and the band sucked ( sure i was drunk but still.... :wink: ). But i do remember the crowd being extremely aggressive, and i have seen quite a few aggressive crowds at various metal concerts. But still that concert stand out in my memory as being a complete riot.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ..................who is this, a failed soap opera star?
what an animal!

Henry Rollins is the biggest f**kface ever :mad: . LOL
he makes my blood boil, fine he can have his own opinions, he is just one of those people who hates do gooders. Why he attacks U2 I don't know.. maybe he wants their position or ?

I have plenty of confidence knowing that Bono would kick the crap out of him in his younger day, especially some comments the other band members have made about Bono ie: that none of them would ever mess with him.

beli said:
Jick,

Henry Rollins has made a few comments about U2 needing to get out of the bar and go practise their instruments, and that U2 albums are mediocre Brian Eno albums. ie Brian is the talented one. etc

Henrys comments are fairly written, hes not ranting ala "u2 R cRaP!!1!". He outlines the reasons he doesn't like their music. I respect him for that. :up:

etc. part of an email Henry sent me during that new album leak fiasco.

Trouble is, Beli, that it's really Daniel Lanois that puts in the "hard work". Lanois is the one that is at the studio daily for AB and ATYCLB. Eno is the one that comes in, gives it a listen and recommends changes. Admittedly, these are excellent suggestions and clearly Eno plays well off Lanois. But it's not Eno sitting there 24/7 trying to tweak just the right sound.

Furthermore, U2 live often IMPROVE upon the sound of the album. Even great songs seem "flat" when compared to the live performances. Is Eno tweaking there as well? To claim that it's all a producer is really insulting - to everyone. Should we then credit the producer for the sound of the Beatles or Stones or even Rollins himself? What proof is there that Rollins is the one with talent and it's not his producer? One could claim that Rollins is the boring one and it's really the producer that made his work come alive.

Lastly, for a man who supposedly loathes U2 so, he sure is very familiar with them. I don't carefully listen to artists I don't like. I don't rush out and buy Britney's latest or download all the tracks. This suggests that he is a fan - albeit, a twisted one. ;)

In other words, while Rollins may have sent you a reason, it's not a plausible one.

beli said:

:lol:

Nightie night Aardvark. Have fun with your stocktake. If you have too many albums please send any freebies to me. lol

but not the pissed on ones

:mad:

Did the stock take, and you'll never guess what I found whilst climbing up to where all the cheap cassette tapes are.......HENRY DAMN ROLLINS - 'GET IN THE VAN' SPOKEN WORD!!?!?!?!?!:madspit:

When the hell that ever came into the shop - i'll never know!!

Anyway - I resisted the temptation to stamp on it...I actually thought, if he mentioned u2 on there, that I would give it a listen.
Beli or any1 - do u know if he spks of the boys on this recording?

Last edited:
An insecure meathead that uses big words to try to make himself appear intelligent. I'd believe he took steroids because he's really aging fast. I saw him on tv not too long ago giving his usual opinion that nobody wants to hear.

jick said:
I always thought he was some kinda great author and I was compared to him due to my writing style.

Too funny, J. Here's a quote from good ol' Henry (from Hot Press):

"U2 are just like the most bogus Exxon Death Star of music. I was standing next to The Edge watching Janes Addiction, and he was watching Dave Navarro. I just wanted to say to him 'Hey, prick. Theres a real guitar player. There's a guy who can actually play his instrument, not that chikky-chikky-chikky horseshit you do, treated by Brian Eno so it sounds interesting.' And you could tell, he was getting a lesson, cos Navarro was just like, fuckin lightin shit on fire with his guitar. But I've never threatened them. I don't wanna fight them or anything. I just hate their music."

ADecentMelody said:

Too funny, J. Here's a quote from good ol' Henry (from Hot Press):

"U2 are just like the most bogus Exxon Death Star of music. I was standing next to The Edge watching Janes Addiction, and he was watching Dave Navarro. I just wanted to say to him 'Hey, prick. Theres a real guitar player. There's a guy who can actually play his instrument, not that chikky-chikky-chikky horseshit you do, treated by Brian Eno so it sounds interesting.' And you could tell, he was getting a lesson, cos Navarro was just like, fuckin lightin shit on fire with his guitar. But I've never threatened them. I don't wanna fight them or anything. I just hate their music."

Lol, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmh, I guess hes never listened to U2 but has heard them:wink: Edge needing lessons of Navarro:huh:

Someone wants a mother:wink:

Rollins's comments go beyond just "I don't like U2" and he's never really argumented it. See examples above. (the latest example being his rants on the radio scam with Vertigo playing) The talk about U2 and specifically Bono are untalented is tame for him, didn't he once wish Bono was dead?

If I remember right he wanted an autograph from Bono on UF tour but was denied.

Apart from the fact Lanois spends more time in the studio than Eno, U2 made three albums and they weren't exactly nobodies by the time they made UF. I guess he's never heard of Dallas Schoo, or that Bono and Edge are the creative minds of the band.

As far as Edge, I'd trust guitar magazines - he is the U2 member that gets the most praise music-wise. (shouldn't the sum be more than the parts in a band anyway?)
And judging by Rollins' singing, yes, he is sooo someone to talk about talent.

Last edited:
actual song lyrics from Henry Rollins, the song is called Disconnect:

I wanna disconnect myself
pull my brain stem out and unplug myself
i want nothing right now

I wanna pull it out, yeah, pull it out, yeah

Lyrical genius, ------saracasm-------

U2girl said:

As far as Edge, I'd trust guitar magazines - he is the U2 member that gets the most praise music-wise. (shouldn't the sum be more than the parts in a band anyway?)
And judging by Rollins' singing, yes, he is sooo someone to talk about talent.

I have an old Guitar World magazine with Edge on the cover:rockon: :rockon:

Back
Top Bottom