Who invented the double entrendre for praying and oral sex: Madonna or Bono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2Kitten said:
Here is a thread discussing the daughter connection, 'here comes your Dad' 'this one is for Holly'

http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1937284#post1937284

Bono and Edge would NOT have a fucking oral sex reference in a sweet song dedicated to a daughter/goddaughter. End of story.

I NEVER SAID that SPECIFIC song was about oral sex. I don't think anyone did. The guy who started this thread was referencing many songs. I also NEVER said it wasn't about Edge's daughter. I said it started out being about her YEARS ago, and then (as with many U2 songs) morphed into something else as well. It's not all that complicated, really. Read all of my posts again, please, before you get so worked up.

And you don't have to cuss to get your point across - I mean really, settle down.
To get this worked up about something so trivial is a bid mad. It honestly worries me when people get so bent about this kind of thing. All I was doing was offering up another opinion and something I heard. I thought that is what this board was all about. I had no idea it would cause such a firestorm.

OOTS no sex in it
Many others do though so.......................:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: for peace:wink:

beli said:
Im not an expert but I think Atomic Lemon probably is who she says she is ie someone in the industry. Not someone working for U2 or PM etc but someone in the entertainment industry so its feasible that shes met them. IMHO Well, if she answers my last question, then I will think that anyway.

Hell, everyones met them except for me. :mad:

Its a shame about this whole fake Edge thing. Its burnt the site. It now means if anyone actually does have any genuine info they wont be believed. I dont know if thats a resolvable problem . :huh:

Thank you. It's a shame fake Edge had to leave everyone so jaded.
True, as I said I don't work for U2 or PM, but I do work in a capacity that has luckily placed me in a position to work with them a few times.

I will apologize if I came off as bragging, it wasn't intentional - I was just stating a fact to try and back up my post, that's all.

Don't worry Beli, you'll meet them one day! :yes:

AtomicLemon said:

Thank you. It's a shame fake Edge had to leave everyone so jaded.
True, as I said I don't work for U2 or PM, but I do work in a capacity that has luckily placed me in a position to work with them a few times.

I will apologize if I came off as bragging, it wasn't intentional - I was just stating a fact to try and back up my post, that's all.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents that I've seen Atomic Lemon here and there in a few places in my brief time on this forum, and I've gotten a good vibe from her. I doubt she's a "fake Edge"! I've been on other message boards with fakers and they always seem "off" and self-centered. The times I've seen her posting, AtomicLemon has come across as a warm-hearted, genuine person. Sometimes sharing may look like bragging, depends what mood you're in, I guess. :yes:

BTW, as a newbie, I am interested in the history of "fake Edge" - is there a thread where that is discussed? I can't find it! This place is huge. TIA! (Sorry if I am being blind and it is in front of my face). :scratch:

U2Kitten said:

It isn't an opinion when the band members have already said it's about the daughter, and even mentions the daughter in the song.

There is another debate on another very different topic on another message board I'm on, people keep whining the old worn out 'everyone is entitled to their opinion' over shit that can be PROVEN- I say it ceases to be an opinion when there is proof that one opinion is incorrect, such as, the sun does not revolve around the earth.

And joyfulgirl, for the 10th time, I never said he NEVER mentioned sex, just that this one song was not about it. That's all.

Bono said it started out as a song about Edge's daughter and turned into something more intimate. There's your proof, right from the horses mouth.

Last edited:
ultrraviolette said:

I know that old freedom of speech thing is just so tired :lol: :wink:

If you love freedom of speech so much I'd be glad to be a lot more free with what I'd really like to say :censored:

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:

If you love freedom of speech so much I'd be glad to be a lot more free with what I'd really like to say to you :censored:

Uh I was joking with you, what you said struck me as funny.

Your are obviously really high strung and need to chill.

Do not threaten me with WORDS on a fansite.

AtomicLemon said:

I haven't actually tried. I'm not all that upset about it. If I ever do meet them that would be great but if I don't I'm not going to cry into my milk ( :huh: ) .

Who knows, the "mystic" might pop if I meet them. They could be arseholes in real life. :D

beli said:

Who knows, the "mystic" might pop if I meet them.

LOVE IT! :laugh:

Or, the mystic might poop! (Thinking back to one Atomic Lemon post I read! Don't shut down the thread!)

Love you, Beli! :hug:
Hope you do get to meet them!

beli said:

I haven't actually tried. I'm not all that upset about it. If I ever do meet them that would be great but if I don't I'm not going to cry into my milk ( :huh: ) .

Who knows, the "mystic" might pop if I meet them. They could be arseholes in real life. :D

I hope you get to meet them too; I never but I'd like to, just for a second to say hello and thanks :yes:

AtomicLemon said:

I NEVER SAID that SPECIFIC song was about oral sex. I don't think anyone did. The guy who started this thread was referencing many songs. I also NEVER said it wasn't about Edge's daughter.

This is what the very first poster said:
I think most U2 fans have picked up on the fact that Bono's lyrics often use prayer as a double entendre for oral sex ("If you want to kiss the sky/ better learn how to kneel", and "I kneel / 'cos I want you some more", etc.).

All that U2Kitten was trying to get across was a simple statement: OOTS is not in any way about Oral Sex.
I think that is patently clear.

Cheers!

NotAnEasyThing said:

All that U2Kitten was trying to get across was a simple statement: OOTS is not in any way about Oral Sex.
I think that is patently clear.

Cheers!

Thank you! :bow: :hug:

Somehow this thread morphed into a discussion of whether "OOTS" could possibly contain a reference to oral sex, given that the song was first inspired as an ode to Edge's daughter Holly. I hope I didn't offend anyone with this suggestion, but let's face it, Bono has clearly said that this song "started off as a song for Edge's daughter, but then turned into something more intimate." So, I think that takes care of that.

As for the discussion about whether songs can have one *TRUE* meaning, I think that's silly. Anyone who has studied art knows that this is impossible. Art, by definition, is open to multiple interpretations. That's what makes it art. When something only has one true meaning, then it's called expository writing.

I don't think it takes care of that if you mean something intimate being oral sex. Sure, two Dads are going to write a loving song to a daughter and goddaughter, go 'this one's for Holly' and "here comes your Dad' then have it turn into a song about licking some bitch up the ****?? Oh please! They're NOT going to do that. Intimate could be a lot of things, including something personal, like the 'celebrity' and 'way too much confidence' thing, which could be a personal, 'intimate' statement Bono added about himself. You don't have to take it the most extreme way. Besides, as someone posted, you and your friend must be dirty minded virgins to think 'kneeling' is a reference to man on woman oral sex. It's not done that way, wrong position:censored:

Original of the Species is not about sex, though there are plenty other oral sex references although mostly in Achtung and in there case Woman/ Man on Man. :eyebrow: :wink:

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:
I don't think it takes care of that if you mean something intimate being oral sex. Sure, two Dads are going to write a loving song to a daughter and goddaughter, go 'this one's for Holly' and "here comes your Dad' then have it turn into a song about licking some bitch up the ****?? Oh please! They're NOT going to do that. Intimate could be a lot of things, including something personal, like the 'celebrity' and 'way too much confidence' thing, which could be a personal, 'intimate' statement Bono added about himself. You don't have to take it the most extreme way. Besides, as someone posted, you and your friend must be dirty minded virgins to think 'kneeling' is a reference to man on woman oral sex. It's not done that way, wrong position:censored:

Well, now we're well off-topic, but what the hell. I have a couple comments:

1. There is no "here comes your dad" quote on the song. That's a silly Internet rumor that someone started. Bono only whispers something unintelligible before he begins the "do-do-do" vocal section. It's not a hidden message to Edge's daughter. :coocoo:

2. U2 would never include an oral sex innuendo to mean "licking some bitch up the ****," as you write. Judging from your tone, you're obviously just uptight when it comes to U2 singing about sex.

3. As for oral sex on a woman "not being done that way," by kneeling, because it's "the wrong position," let me just adopt Austin Powers' voice and say: oh yes, there are ways.
:wink:

Last edited:
LyricalDrug said:

3. As for oral sex on a woman "not being done that way," by kneeling, because it's "the wrong position," let me just adopt Austin Powers' voice and say: oh yes, there are ways.

Agreed.

LyricalDrug said:

Well, now we're well off-topic, but what the hell. I have a couple comments:

1. There is no "here comes your dad" quote on the song. That's a silly Internet rumor that someone started. Bono only whispers something unintelligible before he begins the "do-do-do" vocal section. It's not a hidden message to Edge's daughter. :coocoo:

There is an entire thread on this on this and I posted a link to it earlier in the thread. I am not 'crazy', I don't even hear it because my stereo sucks. I got my info from many other people.

2. U2 would never include an oral sex innuendo to mean "licking some bitch up the ****," as you write. Judging from your tone, you're obviously just uptight when it comes to U2 singing about sex.

How many times do I have to scream it out? I have posted several times in all caps there, I am not saying they never sing about sex OF COURSE THEY FUCKING DO!!!! I'm just saying this song is not about sex. I even had a couple people post backing me up.

Are you a giraffe?

You are the one really reaching on this.

U2Kitten said:

Are you a giraffe?

You are the one really reaching on this.

U2Kitten, I had to look back at this thread 'cause I couldn't believe it was still going! I thought everyone had agreed a couple of days ago that this song (OOTS) WAS NOT about oral sex. I think there must be too many pubescent boys replying with hormones going haywire who obviously read sex into anything. Bono could sing something as clear as "Oh Britania, Britania rules the waves" and they'd think it was some reference to some woman called Britania who is into S&M".

But that giraffe quote gave me a good chuckle anyway, so thanks!

the bigger picture......

indra said:
I just have one question...when did sex become "dirty"? I'm sorry but that just boggles my mind.

oops i hit the return by mistake i'll start my post now :der: :laugh:

ah, before i get into the bigger picture ....

al i ONLY GOT THROUGH PAGE 1 & half of 2 initially so i didn';t catch thids 'fight' till now.

No, not trying tio get on your good side.... I really didn't take it as bragging at all.

See, I know a very good, long time friend in an different industry. Their particular business is while realatively small to others is considered one of the best in that bisiness that comes into contact with well-know to extremely famous people from all walks of life. She's got some heavy 1-3degrees of separation, she does.

Probably why i didn't react that way to you. Lucky u, too. But I'm pretty such you worked hard for it, congrats. Shoot I know she HAS.

Which among clients i won't mention has seen the side of ultra-extreme fandom that sometimes isn't very pretty. {I'm talking near\ or reaql pathological type/ they have the fan letters-- NOT SAYING THIS ABOUT anyone here! It's a totally different, NON-Musical fandon, anyway that i'm refering to here. She' looks at me cross-eyed as we had dinner out tonight when I started to opine about HTDAAB, which I'd just bought last night , and she had asked me about.

She knows I nearly met Bono last year. But after she told me 'enuff!' about HTDAAB, about whih consisted of about ? not more than 4 - 6 sentences..... I WASN"t then going to tell I had Just met Adam ASfter SNL! :reject: :laugh:

Hah I sure ain't telling her I'm gonna be standing outsude the ole MSG next year either. Maybe aftyer i {prays real hard to the Music & Fan Spirits} met them and finally gotten photos.

:LOL: my real topic's gonna be much shorta than this becuse i guess it really isn't the paLCE FOR....

******you beat me to it Indra....I was thinking the same thing after i'd read the few posts i did several days ago!

I mean....shit...I was raised like that ....and mind, body & soul destrying ideas.

No, who ever of you was talking bout Christianity....too many Christians and Catholics.... I was a Catholic growing up, thought about becoming a Christian, if i'd found the Epsiscicle church up near columbia University I might have stayed a chrstian.. or at least for a longer while Or perhaps not. that churc seemed alot more relaxed about sex than most of the Christianity & catholism I've encountered or heard about.

Most if it that I've still heard of is Still: 'no sex, before marriage" and" NO sex between gay people" <refrains from sarcasm> nIO oral sex etc. SHite Ascroft didnm't like dancing for sweert life's sake. move that body topo much and 'impure' thots might just enter your mind and body <alrite that was sarcastic :shrug:>

I've learned to be much more racous, raunchy and erotic and be alot more comfortable, too. And there are perople in the lsy section and yeah Pastor Sprong, Shelby sprong wrote a book along those lines.

But tho it does frighten and even disgust some women & many men, if it was more possible and allowed for 'gals to be gals, too' many people would be a whole lot happier AND healither. For too much blocking of sexual engeries can cause illness in the body, as well as other engeries are also blocked and can cause them too.

as for my religious/spiritual jounery, I became agnostic almost even an aetheisist. But that was mostly because the bigger than me encompasing/timeless felings i experienced-- that wasn't modeled At All in the religions i grew up in.

But it seems I was very spiritual from thebeginning just didn';t know it till I started learning about other religions, tho I picked up animism from the very easly exposure tio Native American art/stoires and thot. the same for from East India, Afria, And Japan [shintoism] were these arts are often entwined with their various religions. I had a great world religions teacher in Coleage. He was a Quaker.

so what do i call myself today... a very spiritual person, sort of a Quantum Physics/animist/new ager. Whether that turns some folks off here... :shrug: I am what I am... I have read quality works on the connections between spirituality and Quantum Physics.

oh well it did turn out long, after all!

Last edited:
A man can perform oral sex on his knees with either another man or a woman. And Atomic Lemon e-mail me at diane.tyler@worldnet.att.net I believe you and I would love to know what Bono said to Natalie. Don't worry if you decide to tell me I will keep it private. That's a promise.

Thanks

AtomicLemon said:
You know, I love this place, but SOME of you have these guys on such a pedestal that it's a bit scary. I've heard Bono make some pretty crude remarks. (yes, in person) Funny, but crude. He's HUMAN, deal with it. You all would shit a cow if I told you what he said to Natalie Imbruglia... But I have been in the music business for 20 years, so it doesn't phase me. I was taken aback a tiny bit, but I never expected him to be a bible waving prude.

I have to laugh when U2kitten says "Sorry if that's not 'cool' enough for you and you'd rather think it was something dirty but I don't." What does COOL have to do with anything? I for one, think it's "cooler" that they'd be about God and praying, but that's just me. I guess when you said "it's more like Bono", you made it seem like you knew him and that he was incapable of uttering such unsavory lyrics :wink:

So if it was all a misunderstanding, sorry if I got defensive. It just bothers me when fans hold artists up to some kind of impossible standard. "Boys will be boys" and all that holds true.

I believe you. I posted my e-mail address above. But, I am fairly new here, so I am not sure how all of this works. I would really appreciate it if could you e-mail me at diane.tyler@worldnet.att.net I would love to hear your stories and I promise whatever you wish to share, will be kept in strick confidence. I will not post your experiences on this forum or any other. I also, feel that Bono is capible of some very funny and crude remarks. And no, this does not dampen my respect for him. It's only language so I am not offended.

Thanks

Diane

Re: the bigger picture......

dazzledbylight said:

No, who ever of you was talking bout Christianity....too many Christians and Catholics.... I was a Catholic growing up, thought about becoming a Christian, if i'd found the Epsiscicle church up near columbia University I might have stayed a chrstian.. or at least for a longer while Or perhaps not. that churc seemed alot more relaxed about sex than most of the Christianity & catholism I've encountered or heard about.

Catholics are Christians. At least I always thought I was.

Bono has rolled with Melpop, lap danced on SNL and even humped a girl during ZOOTV (until his Dad told him to stop) I know he is not perfect. All I am saying is that someone would have to have a very twisted mind to make this song OOTS about oral sex. No matter how much you may think you can get yourself in that position, that is not normally how it's done, and it is not common enough to make 'kneeling' a metaphor for it used in a song. I really believe all the 'kneeling' on HTDAAB is about praying, like Vertigo and COBL 'blessings not just for the ones who kneel, luckily' is that oral sex too? "Kneeling" and God is a theme running through this record very strongly, again, read the threads on Goal is Soul. I don't think the band would ever confirm or deny what any song was actually about, because they know fans like to make them whatever they want, and as long as you buy the CD and they have your money I don't think they give a shit.

But I did listen to OOTS again on a better stereo and the 'unintelligible' whisper sure sounds to me like 'here's your father'

Re: Re: the bigger picture......

u2granny said:

Catholics are Christians. At least I always thought I was.

We are Christians. At least the last time I went to mass, (this past Sunday), we still believed that Jesus is Son of God and in, his teachings. And thanks U2 Granny, for pointing this out Because the evangelical church, (fundamentalist) like to believe otherwise, about Catholics that 'tis.

And U2 Kitten, when I hear the word 'Kneeling' in a U2 song. I also think of prayer.

Also, in response to my one of my above post I wasn't trying to be vulgar, I was just pointing out that there are many ways for a couple, to make love.

Back
Top Bottom