who introduced u 2 U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was 1983 & I saw the video for Sunday Bloody Sunday from Red Rocks on MTV.
I was 13 and fell in love with Bono at first sight and have been obsessed ever since.

The first time I ever heard a U2 song was in an episode of friends with WOWY playing in the background, I asked my mom who that was since I had no idea. (I was 8-9) she said U2. I didn't really think much of it until the video for Elevation was getting huge airplay on Muchmusic, I became a casual fan, and then about last year I was reading up on my fav band Nirvana and it said Cobain was a big fan of the Joshua Tree, so I picked that up and said wow! and here I am a few cds later, and a new favorite band.

I was formally introduced to U2 by the hottest girl in my senior class (1987) during a class trip to Sacramento and SF. We listened to The Joshua Tree on the bus the whole way there and the whole way back. It was awesome. I wound up dating the 2nd hottest girl in my senior class after that trip. She was a close tie for 1st though!

Great times and fond memories.

I turned 10-and I got a walkman for my birthday with a tape of Live at Red Rocks-from my uncle Joe-I put the tape in...and the rest is history!
I still have that tape:)
16 years of being a fan! wow...just realised that (since today is my birthday):happy:

Hi, I'm a new member and this is my first post. :wink: The first time I was aware of U2 was actually from a picture of them in my grade school science book. I can only remember thinking "those are the skinniest guys I've ever seen." Beautiful Day made me the addicted fan I am today though.

FullonEdge said:
Hi, I'm a new member and this is my first post. :wink: The first time I was aware of U2 was actually from a picture of them in my grade school science book. I can only remember thinking "those are the skinniest guys I've ever seen." Beautiful Day made me the addicted fan I am today though.

Why were they in a grade school science book?

Wow, I am feeling kinda old reading this thread, lol. I was introduced to U2 back when I was little. I remember seeing the video for Sunday Bloody Sunday when I was too young to care about music all that much, but I paid attention to that one for some reason... That Christmas, my big brother got the Unforgettable Fire tape, and he listened to it non-stop for months. I ended up stealing it from him in the end, mostly because I loved Bad so much. It is still to this day (twenty long years later, if you can believe) my absolute favourite U2 song. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Great thread! :)

mum buying Boston on Pay-Per-View on Pay TV, the evening of Friday November 17th 2001 :wink:
i wore that tape out within a week....thank god it was released on dvd!

I first heard U2 on the radio back during the mid 80's. It must have been when UF was released. They were starting to get a lot of air play on the top 40 station that I was listening to at the time. I didn't know who they were until a couple of years later when I saw their videos which caused me to start putting the pieces together. I don't remember the name of that video program though. I just remember that it was on a UHF channel after school for only 30 minutes. I also remember watching Friday Night Videos. The whole thing is just a blur. I think the videos that they showed the most were ISHFWILF and WOWY. I also remember after The Joshua Tree came out, they were on the radio every hour on the hour. I definitely knew who they were by then. But I didn't become an obsessed fan until I saw them live for the very first time on November 25, 2001. That show turned my little world upside down, but in a good way of course!

KristenF said:
I was 13 and fell in love with Bono at first sight and have been obsessed ever since.

That is exactly my story too! :hug: Same age, same year, same show! :love:

addressing the science book picture, I have no idea why they were in there, but now I wish I could see it again

thank you bono b jones! :wave:
I also just remembered that I saw a Laser Light Show in a Planetarium in Rochester NY and the Laser Light music was U2..I was about 14 or 15..that was an awesome introduction to the music of u2..set to laser lights!

Myself, when I started listening to the radio (besides NPR and my mom's oldies) when I was 11/12ish. I heard Streets and loved it and my best friend Camille said her sister had that CD. We never found it though so I didn't totally get into it until later. I became a real fan once I started getting into the live stuff. I enjoyed the top 40 singles and album hits, but the bootlegs are what blew me away!

Last edited:
KristenF said:

Wow, thats exactly how I was introduced to them as well. (except I was 14 and I didnt fall in love with Bono! LOL). I went through 2 tape copies of UABRS in a year because I played it all the time and they kept wearing out! Then The Joshua Tree hit and I saw them live for the first time, I was hooked completely at that point and have been since.

the mad hatter said:
thank you bono b jones! :wave:
I also just remembered that I saw a Laser Light Show in a Planetarium in Rochester NY and the Laser Light music was U2..I was about 14 or 15..that was an awesome introduction to the music of u2..set to laser lights!

Yep, saw a laser show myself out here in Cali 11 years ago at the Griffith observatory. I was 23 at the time and already a fan, but it was a great experience nonetheless.

My Art teacher. When the class of twelve 11th graders went to a Picasso exhibition, and it was just us and the band there.

Melbourne, September 1984 (OMG!!! Almost 20 years ago ....)

Back
Top Bottom