Who hates Achtung Baby?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
liamcool said:
Take all of Axver's hatred of AB, multiply it by ten, and you have my opinion of that album. Absolutely despise it, only one song is even near U2's par.

You do realise that if you posted as frequently as I do, you would be so hated around these parts that Interference's general opinion of jick would appear to be a lovefest in comparison? :wink:

I don't hate it, but it is far from being one of my favourites

in my ears it has also even aged worse than Boy and October

but that's just me

liamcool said:
Yes, I do realise that. It's a risk I'm willing to take. I may like everything up to AB, but after that, I feel U2 have been very up and down, AB being their lowest valley.

And that makes you quite possibly the coolest poster here. :up:

Axver said:

And that makes you quite possibly the coolest poster here. :up:

Not kissing your ass here Axver, but I generally agree with and respect EVERY post you ever put on here, I even ordered a Dream Theatre Cd on your recommendation, which I loved by the way, but I just can't get my head around why you and Liam hate AB so much, for me it is absolute perfection. It's your opinion and I'm not knocking you or criticizing you just I can't get my head around it :)) We agree on everything apart from my favourite album ever!!
I think maybe I love it because I was 16 at the time it came out and as Bono said himself at the time "when you're 16, you think you can take on the world, and sometimes you're right!" And Achtung Baby was the soundtrack to this part of my life. Everything about it was so different to me, so fresh and so daring and so thrilling, and ZOO TV was the same. Maybe I love it because I'm nostalgic for those times again but I honestly think it sounds as fresh as it did then. This is just my opinion and like I said I'm not criticizing you or Liam, but I just can't understand why any U2 fan would hate AB :))
Although I'm beginning to agree with your opinion of One :))

liamcool said:
Take all of Axver's hatred of AB, multiply it by ten, and you have my opinion of that album. Absolutely despise it, only one song is even near U2's par.

Which song do you like liam?

Love Is Blindness.

I personally just think AB is bland. It doesn't work, it's like a toned down record. I don't know off the top of my head what it's toned down of (it's on the tip of my tongue) but it just feels very light, there's no weight in the record, I think. Whereas things such as the first few albums (up to and including JT) and Passengers are really good, I don't think much of U2's 90's. It's erratic. Do You Feel Loved is great, but nothing else from Pop stands out as such.

An Cat Gav said:

Not kissing your ass here Axver, but I generally agree with and respect EVERY post you ever put on here, I even ordered a Dream Theatre Cd on your recommendation, which I loved by the way

Thanks! :) And I'm glad you enjoyed the CD. Any favourite tunes?

but I just can't get my head around why you and Liam hate AB so much, for me it is absolute perfection. It's your opinion and I'm not knocking you or criticizing you just I can't get my head around it :)) We agree on everything apart from my favourite album ever!!

Heh, whereas I can't get my head around why you rank it so highly because it just leaves me feeling empty and disappointed. Thanks for not bashing my stance though; the hostility to Achtung criticism around these parts can suck sometimes.

AB is the only U2 album where I don't skip 1 song..... it's just fabulous and could have been released 10 or 15 years later as well and have the same impact.

When I talk about 'One' I'm only talking about the studio version which is in my opinion possibly the greatest song ever written. The live versions are mostly not very good except for maybe the Zoo TV version. And why compare it to WOWY when you can enjoy both of these beautifully done ballads? :drool:

liamcool said:
Love Is Blindness.

I personally just think AB is bland. It doesn't work, it's like a toned down record. I don't know off the top of my head what it's toned down of (it's on the tip of my tongue) but it just feels very light, there's no weight in the record, I think. Whereas things such as the first few albums (up to and including JT) and Passengers are really good, I don't think much of U2's 90's. It's erratic. Do You Feel Loved is great, but nothing else from Pop stands out as such.

Love Is Blindness? Worst song I the record, bar none. We must be listening to different songs or something. :wink:

And weight? What do you mean "weight"? Achtung Baby is one of the weightiest albums they've ever released.

Nice subliminal praising of Zooropa there. :wink:

Bonochick said:

Axver is entitled to his opinion. I'd also like to remind you:

http://forum.interference.com/misc.php?s=&action=faq&page=5#31

I was merely suggesting that he keeps repeating the same shit over and over again in every thread concerning Achtung Baby. Even Sicy has noticed and commented on this. But I see what you're saying about 'yawns'. It's just... too tempting! :mac:

:angel:

Zootlesque said:

I was merely suggesting that he keeps repeating the same shit over and over again in every thread concerning Achtung Baby. Even Sicy has noticed and commented on this. But I see what you're saying about 'yawns'. It's just... too tempting! :mac:

:angel:

Oh geez, give it up already. You repeat the same shit all the time on various topics, but you don't see me complaining. I try to offer a different and fresh perspective and I try to avoid sounding like a broken record, but no matter what I say, it's "shit" unless I'm bleating the praises of Achtung Baby.

People are entitled to voice their opinion just as much as you are. I would say that I voice my dislike of Achtung Baby a lot less than certain fans of it around here praise it as if it were made by a collaboration of Jesus, Muhammad, Buddha, and Zoroaster.

And come on, this was a thread on who dislikes Achtung. What on earth did you expect me to post in this thread?! If there were ever an appropriate place for my opinion, this is most certainly it and you are in no position at all to complain about me voicing it.

Axver said:
certain fans of it around here praise it as if it were made by a collaboration of Jesus, Muhammad, Buddha, and Zoroaster.

:lol:

ok Ax ok.. just cool it, will ya? Geeeeez!

:whistle:

Zootlesque said:

:lol:

ok Ax ok.. just cool it, will ya? Geeeeez!

:whistle:

Sorry for the harsh tone, it's late here and I suppose I need sleep. Nonetheless, I think my points stand and I don't appreciate having my opinion derided as "shit" when I try to ensure that my contribution is worthwhile.

And you have to admit discussion around here would get really stale if only positive opinions on Achtung were posted regularly. I personally don't see why anyone would not love UF, but people like LemonMelon who dislike it at least keep discussion going and prompt me to further analyse and think about the album.

Last edited:
Axver said:
Sorry for the harsh tone, it's late here and I suppose I need sleep. Nonetheless, I think my points stand and I don't appreciate having my opinion derided as "shit" when I try to ensure that my contribution is worthwhile.

Yikes. I didn't think you'd take my yawn or my post seriously! Sorry if my use of the word 'shit' bothered you. We Americans (even though I'm really Indian, ha!) throw that word around all the time. So please don't take it to heart.

Axver said:

Thanks! :) And I'm glad you enjoyed the CD. Any favourite tunes?

Heh, whereas I can't get my head around why you rank it so highly because it just leaves me feeling empty and disappointed. Thanks for not bashing my stance though; the hostility to Achtung criticism around these parts can suck sometimes.

I suppose I have to weigh in here....... I most certainly agree with Axver's points on TUF, JT One Tree Hill and jus about everything else he posts about concerts and setlists..... (in fact I've gotten Boots just on Ax's opinions on shows, in fact I'm one of those setlist nerds that likes to keep track of what's played at each show and the like and I'm on his "other" website all the time) but must say that we definitely break apart over this AB issue. While I most certainly DON'T take it personally when he blasts me after my posts of how great this album is IMHO, it's just his opinion and I'm okay with it..... Just let it go.... It's like my downright disdain for the songs Miami and New York - after all of these years I'll never ever get these songs and no matter what anyone says at how great they are - I'll never see it.

As for Axver I have six words for him :baby baby baby Light My Way. LOL:wink: (just joking everyone, don't attack)

CHEERS

The Fly grabbed me instantly and I was blown away by how different they were in the video and then the album came out...

Absolutely hated it. Zoo Station, EBTTRT, So Cruel, WGRYWH... Yuck. Felt so let down. What had happened to my newly favorite band??

In fact at the time, I didn't have a CD player anywhere except in my room, so I transfered it to tape and the album was too long, so I left off So Cruel and Wild Horses entirely.

I missed the chiming notes and big vocals from the Joshua Tree didn't care for the replacing of earnestness with irony and the ripped faded blue jeans with sequins and leather. I wanted to stay in the desert, not go to some dark metropolis.

But it grew on me, though it took a while. First I started to appreciate Ultraviolet because that song was most reminiscent guitar-wise to Edge's signature style. Then Mysterious Ways was released as a single, and hearing it on the radio got me accustomed to it and made me like it. Then One and UTEOTW came into focus. Seriously, I remember the album gaining my acceptance almost song by song. Acrobat and Love Is Blindness.. I remember putting my tape in on a dark night on the way to go skiing and getting into those songs.

Then ZooTV Outside Broadcast came to town, and the Temple Bar version of Wild Horses was released at about the same time, and everything but EBTTRT (which I still dislike) fell into place.

Finally, I bought the ZooEuropa Dublin concert and heard the live version of Zoo Station about three years ago and fell in love with that song.

So anyway, great album, but for an old Josha Tree'er it took a while to get into it.

Axver said:

And you have to admit discussion around here would get really stale if only positive opinions on Achtung were posted regularly. I personally don't see why anyone would not love UF, but people like LemonMelon who dislike it at least keep discussion going and prompt me to further analyse and think about the album.

While I adore AB, I'm glad that this thread exists.

I get crap sometimes because I'm not madly in love with JT. I will agree that JT is the best album of 1987. However, per U2's standards - and I think those words are key - I just do not get the praise. It's simply not that good of an album, IMO - at least now one to be worshipped as it is.

Still, if it weren't for JT, U2 wouldn't be where they are today. And it's still one of their best-selling catalog albums.

As for AB, I will state that it was also instrumental in U2 still being around today. Had U2 released a JT-2 (or JT-3, if you count R&H as JT-2) in 1991, while I think there would have been interest, I think U2 would have been overshadowed by the grunge scene. 30-somethings can't do grunge! :no: :sexywink:

But by doing AB, U2 were still rock, but gave the public a chance to buy something that wasn't grunge. And this kept U2 going strong.

All of that said, I didn't realize so many people disliked AB. I knew some die-hard fans of 80's U2 that "tolerated" AB and recognized some good songs, but hated "Zooropa" (and I'm sure "Pop" - they probably came back to the fold with ATYCLB). But I never realized so many outright disliked AB.

Learn something new every day. :yes:

tpsglick2424 said:
Nope, and that's because Axver is one of a kind...:coocoo: :tsk:

Don't you dare saying that. Axver is GOD, so AB is utter crap!
Sorry I couldn't resist, Ax! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom