Who happy with the changed songs???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uwwedoogie

Rock n' Roll Doggie
who prefers Native Son to Vertigo
and the Alternate ABOY, Yahweh & SYCMIOYO? I know SYCMIOYO is the only song from the album I prefer to the unreleased stuff

I know that I've already posted in threads similar to this one, so I won't bother qualifying my responses....I'll just say this:

"Vertigo"
"All Because Of You" (alternate version)
"Sometimes You Can't Make It..." (LP version)
"Yahweh" (toss-up, basically; I'll go with the LP version since it's on the album, already...may as well err on the side of caution)

Headache in a Suitcase said:
vertigo blows native son away
album all because of you blows the unreleased version away
and same with sometimes you can't make it on your own.

done.

yep.

The_Edge89 said:
Is there any difference between the album and the LP version of sycmioyo?

No, none whatsoever--"LP" is just another term for album which stems from the days of vinyl. It stands for "Long-Play," just as "EP" stands for "Extended-Play." A bit anachronistic, perhaps, but still widely used.

i just LOVE the falsetto in the alternate version of ABOY. sometime i'll mix that part in to the end of the verses in the real ABOY track.

The alternate SYCMIOYO is simply appalling. Native Son and alternate ABOY are good, but they aren't nearly as good as what's on the album.

In the Liner notes for the complete u2 Edge writes:
"...We have also included some of the early incarnations of the material from HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB. These Chris Thomas productions are the rough mixes that we made as we went along, and they reveal how close we got to a finished working with Chris. We include an alternate version of 'Yahweh' mixed by Nellee Hopper, and it was a close contest between this mix, and the one that made the album."

That being said
Vertigo way over Native Son
LP Version of ABOY - but I do enjoy the first part of the unreleased version
LP Version of SYCMOYO - hands down
Yahweh - either works for me
Fast Cars over Xanax and Wine

I think Xanax is betta than Fast Cars, it has that smooth/flowing feel to it while FC sounds forced and choopy

Headache in a Suitcase said:
vertigo blows native son away
album all because of you blows the unreleased version away
and same with sometimes you can't make it on your own.

done.

All becuse of you was changed from a song that sounded like it was fresh and original too a song that sounds like its been done before. Should have kept the original version, not as commercially acceptable but a far more interesting track.

"rjh," why is it that you and I always seem to agree about everything, in here? While I think that we VERY rarely express ourselves in the same ways, haven't you noticed a very similar thread to our final conclusions? Just a thought--I just saw that you agreed with me concerning "Love And Peace..." in another thread about the album's best track.

That said, I will need to agree with what some others have said (I already posted my preferences for the tracks, but I forgot to mention this)--the alternate take of "Sometimes..." is fucking sinful, it's so bad. What a damned mess. I'll take the evocative, lush, bursting...and, yes, too syrupy...final version any day. It might sound too bombastic, production-wise, BUT I LOVE IT!!!

If you shout... said:
"rjh," why is it that you and I always seem to agree about everything, in here? While I think that we VERY rarely express ourselves in the same ways, haven't you noticed a very similar thread to our final conclusions? Just a thought--I just saw that you agreed with me concerning "Love And Peace..." in another thread about the album's best track.

That said, I will need to agree with what some others have said (I already posted my preferences for the tracks, but I forgot to mention this)--the alternate take of "Sometimes..." is fucking sinful, it's so bad. What a damned mess. I'll take the evocative, lush, bursting...and, yes, too syrupy...final version any day. It might sound too bombastic, production-wise, BUT I LOVE IT!!!

Have to agree with your summing up of the original of SYCMIOYO, the thing I hate most about that is the way Bono sings the listen to me now bit with a real low vocal, I cringe when he sings it. He got the vocal right in the final version at least.

Yes we seem to have similar views, but I definetly don't seem to be in the majority here when commenting on the new album that is for sure.

If you shout... said:

I'll be the only one but I do like the alternate take of SYCMIOYO. Now, I don't prefer it over the album version, but I do have it on my playlist. I like the heightened tension built by the augmented chords. Plus, Bono hits the siiiiing part differently.

native son is better than vertigo
ABOY unreleased is better
xanax would have been the 3rd best song on the CD
yahweh is a wash
sometimes is better on the album

Vertigo is superior to Native Son in in every way.

Sometimes is infinitely better on the album.

Both versions of ABOY are pretty good, but I think the album version is better.

Yaweh is infinitely better on the album.

Xanax and Wine and Fast Cars are pretty close. Fast Cars is better simply because of the Mid Eastern influence they threw in. If Xanax and Wine had this (which it probably would have) I think it would have been better just because the chorus is so awesome.

If you shout... said:
I know that I've already posted in threads similar to this one, so I won't bother qualifying my responses....I'll just say this:

"Vertigo"
"All Because Of You" (alternate version)
"Sometimes You Can't Make It..." (LP version)
"Yahweh" (toss-up, basically; I'll go with the LP version since it's on the album, already...may as well err on the side of caution)

same here

ABOy is about the only alternative i'd trade in - in fact on my ipod i've swithced them round and have the alternative version in with the album.
Yahwey - either so i'll go with album and err on the side of caution as well

Vertigo is slighly better than Native Son. I wonder if they considered removing the intro riff & solo from Native Son & "disguising" it as a new track. Reckon that anti gun lobby stuff might not have gone over well in the States.

ABOY & Sometimes alternatives are not a patch on the album versions. So much so I've actually deleted them from my library.

Yahweh's alternative version is well done with that Who's Gonna Ride Your Wid Horses style drumming. I'd prefer it to the album version.

Xanax & Wine is way superior to Fast Cars. Heavier guitars & much better chorus. This one will not be deleted.

I've only heard two versions so far, Xanax and Native Son.
Incidentally, I;d love the older versions of Yahweh, Sometimes or All Because of You, especially ABOY, if someone wants to kindly shoot them over to me @ capn117@aol.com

As for the two I've heard. Xanax has an AWESOME chorus, but other than that I see it as a wash. Fast Cars is almost a novelty song, I don't take it too seriously.

Native Son has a better intro and a better chorus, but the Edge "solo" if you want to call it that, is much better on Vertigo. Overall, Vertigo with the NS intro would have been perfect.

Back
Top Bottom