Who freaked out the first time they heard Mofo(Album Version)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't mean to trash, but I do want to say that this is a song I have hated deeply from the beginning that has never 'grown on me' as many U2 songs have. I consider it not only one of the worst U2 songs, but among the worst sounds I have ever heard in my entire life.

Sir BonoBjanglz said:
Hey Chris Martini:

Pour yourself a strong one and do yourself a favor and listen to this album. It's dark and different in ways the band had not been up until this point, and I think its music is actually more appreciated today.

I really don't think you'd be disappointed at all!

PLEASE stop trying to force people who don't like Pop to 'do ourselves a favor' and 'try it again.' Please consider, people have different taste, and it was not a good sounding bunch of music to some people, there's nothing wrong with us, and there's nothing wrong with you. Don't think we'll 'come around' or 'get it', we've heard it all before, leave it alone.

U2Kitten said:

PLEASE stop trying to force people who don't like Pop to 'do ourselves a favor' and 'try it again.' Please consider, people have different taste, and it was not a good sounding bunch of music to some people, there's nothing wrong with us, and there's nothing wrong with you. Don't think we'll 'come around' or 'get it', we've heard it all before, leave it alone.

While I respect your stance
At the beginning of the post I did request no trashing of Mofo as not to ignite a huge debate, blah blah, we get to much shit in here.
The adviice you have given you could take and just leave it alone.
By the way I don't think the quote you have used was forcing anything on anyone, it was just a suggestion by the chap.. maybe in simple form it would just say keep an open mind??
Even for me my taste changed with some songs.. it always does.
So to say that things are the way they always will is strange and untrue. There is not a thing wrong with being positive

Last edited:
I know, I don't get why people have to come and just have a go at the song, it always happens. If you don't like a song, don't come and slag it off to those who do. I stay out of topics about songs I don't like. Ya know, it's easier.

Saying you don't like a song, or even you hate a song, is not slagging it off. It's called expressing an opinion.

Why is it so freaking hard to let people have an opposing opinion around here? Sheesh.

:huh:

corianderstem said:
Saying you don't like a song, or even you hate a song, is not slagging it off. It's called expressing an opinion.

Why is it so freaking hard to let people have an opposing opinion around here? Sheesh.

:huh:

:love:

:kiss:

No it's not that. Just, when other people are liking it and then someone comes in and deflates everyone by saying how much they hate it, lol.

I could see that bothering you in one of those "appreciation" threads, where the point of the thread is to talk about how much you like it.

But the title of this thread itself indicates that not everyone likes it. Mofo might have freaked people out because they hated it, and maybe some of those people grew to like it, and maybe they still hate it.

Me? I freaking love it. But that's just my opinion. :sexywink:

corianderstem said:
I could see that bothering you in one of those "appreciation" threads, where the point of the thread is to talk about how much you like it.

But the title of this thread itself indicates that not everyone likes it. Mofo might have freaked people out because they hated it, and maybe some of those people grew to like it, and maybe they still hate it.

Me? I freaking love it. But that's just my opinion. :sexywink:

If you read the actual thread I started it said it was not a slagging Mofo thread off!

LuvandPeace1980 said:

By the way I don't think the quote you have used was forcing anything on anyone, it was just a suggestion by the chap.. maybe in simple form it would just say keep an open mind??

Maybe you haven't seen and heard as much of this in the last 8 years as I have. It actually becomes quite offensive. "Open mind", it's well beyond that. If people have formed an opinion and come by it honestly, and it hasn't changed in all this time, shouldn't they have a right to it without being told they are wrong and need to come around? See, that's the attitude that has been going around for years now, and some people are tired of it. While I agree that outright bashing for purposes of annoyance is a bad thing, I think every discussion has a right to have imput from all sides, even what you may not consider 'positive', to be productive. Not just here, but on any subject, anywhere. Everyone should have a right to express their true opinion, if you like something or not, because really, it doesn't matter, we all have our own taste.

If you read the actual thread I started it said it was not a slagging Mofo thread off!

Well, yes, but no one came in here and slagged it off. As I said, someone expressed an opinion. It's not like anyone came in here and said, "OMG, MOFO SUCKS ASS!"

Now go, carry on, rock out to Mofo. You can still do that even if someone doesn't like the song.

By all means, do rock out to it, and I will skip it. Nothing wrong with that. It seems sometimes people take it personally if you say you don't like a song they like, and the person who doesn't like it therefore must be either a, wrong, or b, stupid and needs to be shown the light, or c, needs to keep listening until they change their mind. If I never like it, does that make you like it any less? Does it take away from your enjoyment of it? Am I a terrible person? Really, it doesn't matter!

I was blown away and shocked when I first heard Mofo...I liked it and then upon a handful of listens, I loved it. But it was SOOOO different.

I was at a party when it first came out and we were "under some influences" and i put on the Pop cd. I was the only big U2 fan there. People were really liking DYFL and Mofo and they asked me who it was. I said "U2" and they all replied "no way !!". After a while, I was second guessing myself....maybe it wasn't them and I was just all "messed up":drunk: :crazy: :faint:

U2Kitten said:

Maybe you haven't seen and heard as much of this in the last 8 years as I have. It actually becomes quite offensive. "Open mind", it's well beyond that. If people have formed an opinion and come by it honestly, and it hasn't changed in all this time, shouldn't they have a right to it without being told they are wrong and need to come around? See, that's the attitude that has been going around for years now, and some people are tired of it. While I agree that outright bashing for purposes of annoyance is a bad thing, I think every discussion has a right to have imput from all sides, even what you may not consider 'positive', to be productive. Not just here, but on any subject, anywhere. Everyone should have a right to express their true opinion, if you like something or not, because really, it doesn't matter, we all have our own taste.

Your missing my point, I am not saying any of those things, I am saying that this thread was meant to leave negativity aside
If you can't see that then your blind! I didn't want it to be about whether you liked mofo or not!
Get it !
:eek:

OK, I'm listening to the Mexico City version of this song, inspired by this thread, and...

Can anybody tell me why the fuck U2 isn't playing this over, say, Yahweh?

knox said:
OK, I'm listening to the Mexico City version of this song, inspired by this thread, and...

Can anybody tell me why the fuck U2 isn't playing this over, say, Yahweh?

Because Mofo's not on the new album.

It should be. Mofo should be on every album.

And U2 should play Mofo a whole bunch.

Yahweh is better than Mofo, and Mofo is a great song. they're nothing like each other either..... it should be played over say.... zoo station.

I wish they wuld've used the "Motherfucking rock and roll" line

instead of the "Mother-sucking rock and roll" line, I mean Fuck is said plain as day in Wake Up Dead Man, why balk here?

That's my only Mofo gripe, other than that

MOOOOOOOOOOOFOOOOOOOOOO :rockon:

I still can't appreciate the album version, but the live ones are pretty good, especially the way the music stops when the first verse kicks in, many a person around here has been woken at 1am by me shouting "LOOKING FOR TO SAVE ME, SAVE MY SOUL" at that moment.

I absolutely love this song!!! This first time i heard it i was IN LOVE....Then i heard live versions and well I loved it even more...I would (insert passionate statement) to see this played at the concert i am going to!!!! :drool:
Looking for to fill that God-shaped hole!!!

I loved it from the very first moment i heard it.
Such a mothersuck..,no,motherfucking great rock tune!!

AtomicBono said:

Mofo should be on every album.

:lol:

That it should!

My initial opinion of Mofo was mixed. I thought the drums and bass were mother fucking cool, but I wasn't so sure on the vocals. I have seen the error of my ways since then, and it's now one of my favourites from Pop. :up: And oh my God, the live version!

(On a related note, you know the "been around the back, been around the front" bit? I used to think it was "you left me, you left me" :reject: What?! It makes sense in context with the song!)

U2Kitten said:

That's a dandy point, except ChrisMartini said that he's never listened to Pop.

So, no. He said that he heard bad things about Pop so he steered clear, and the other poster was saying that maybe he should give it a chance, and that he might like it.

The horrors!

Back
Top Bottom