Who are the 'REAL' U2 fans?...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I took the day off work the day HTDAAB came out, so I could drive to the closest city (4 hour round trip) to buy the box set (I live in the middle of nowhere, so that was the closest place I could get the album the day it came out). Except, when I got there, they told me that they weren't selling the box sets until the weekend because not all the stores had received there shipments. :scream: So, I bought the deluxe edition, and then made the trip again on the weekend to get the box set.:wink:

I also bought every album and dvd available within 2 months of becoming a fan. It's amazing what formerly essential things you can do without if it means you can get one more U2 item with that paycheque!:yes:

I'm going to drive 16/17 hours to see U2 in concert for the first time this year (if all goes well getting tickets!):hyper:, and I fully intend to spend that drive listening to U2's entire catalogue in chronological order, so I'll be prepared to sing along to anything they might play.

Oh, and I decided to spend my income tax return on a laptop, so I could download live U2 music (I only have dial-up internet at home, but I can "borrow" a friend's wireless access with the laptop). :reject:

Last Nov. I left rural Alabama for a rumor or U2 playing in NYC. We planned the trip in 3 hours, hopped a plane and were in Times Square that night! We ended up front row center (5 feet from Bono) the next evening. Damn good time---damn good luck. I am a changed person for it!

CARPE DIEM!!!!!!!!

Axver said:

The first incident that has come to mind: A band was playing at my school's chapel service and I wasn't really interested. Then the lead singer made a little speech and mentioned Bono. I jumped up and screamed "YEAH!" and pretty much made a fool of myself in front of the whole school.

I had a similar incident but it was in my biology class when the teacher said something about a joshua tree.

I practically assaulted a girl in Florence, Italy so that I could write down the tour dates from the back of her Zooropa t-shirt. Fortunately she was both accomodating and understanding. We ended up hanging out for a couple of days and I ended up catching 2 of the shows in my travels. I'm still grateful to her.:)

I'm not trying to change the subject here but you got a great username!

"Baby you can drive my trabant..." :wink:

I am waking up at 7:15 am every weekday for 3 weeks, including on my spring break, to hear what time they will read a letter later in the day in this U2 radio contest I entered.

Today I didn't win and I nearly cried. :|

jphelmet said:
i drove 3200+ miles, (spending about 45 hrs in my car) and then waited for about 25 hrs in ga lines in 11 days to see the first 6 shows of elevation tour.

Hi!

Wow.....that's truly amazing!

carol
wizard2c
:)

- Purchased an army beret only because of U2 (Bono/ R&H days).

- Crossed over to CDs only because of U2 (Achtung Baby!).

- Crossed over to DVDs only because of U2 (Boston DVD).

- Crossed over to mp3s only because of U2 (ipod/itunes).

Moonlit_Angel said:

Back in 2003, I'd been in the library during study hall reading magazines, and came across the Christianity Today one with an article on Bono in it, and I asked the teacher if I could have that one when it wasn't needed for school purposes anymore. She told me that they keep magazines for up to 5 years after they're brought into the school so kids can use them, but after the 5 year period is up, you're free to take them home...and when that 5 year time period is up, I'm intending on paying a visit to that high school...

There's some I can think of right now.

Angela

This actually happened to me...in fact...when I was a senior a few years ago...one of my teachers gave an old Rolling Stones magazine with U2 on the front cover...the libary didn't want it anymore and she thought of me and decided to give it to me. I loved my high school

Lizzie

U2MaNaIcWeIdO said:
This actually happened to me...in fact...when I was a senior a few years ago...one of my teachers gave an old Rolling Stones magazine with U2 on the front cover...the libary didn't want it anymore and she thought of me and decided to give it to me. I loved my high school

Lizzie

Oh, yeah? That's awesome :up: :D. I'd love any school that did that for me, no doubt about that.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

Oh, yeah? That's awesome :up: :D. I'd love any school that did that for me, no doubt about that.

Angela

Yep, it was the Making of Achtung Baby one. Man, I wished your teachers did that to you too (no pun intented).
I think it was in the same fasion too...the certian amount of years was up when I was a senior at that high school and this teacher thought of me. I'm forever grateful to her.

U2MaNaIcWeIdO said:
Yep, it was the Making of Achtung Baby one.

Awesome :).

U2MaNaIcWeIdO said:
Man, I wished your teachers did that to you too (no pun intented).

LOL :D, yeah, that'd have been cool.

U2MaNaIcWeIdO said:
I think it was in the same fasion too...the certian amount of years was up when I was a senior at that high school and this teacher thought of me. I'm forever grateful to her.

I can certainly understand why. That's seriously really nice of her.

Another one I just thought of tonight while having some hot cocoa-you get coffee/hot cocoa that has Irish cream or something similar to that in it :). I am definitely guilty of that one.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

Awesome :).

LOL :D, yeah, that'd have been cool.

I can certainly understand why. That's seriously really nice of her.

Another one I just thought of tonight while having some hot cocoa-you get coffee/hot cocoa that has Irish cream or something similar to that in it :). I am definitely guilty of that one.

Angela

Why thanks. I agree too. Man, you making me think about that..in fact I'm thinking more of a Green River right about now! But I'm thinking about Irish Coffee/Irish Hot Chocolate too.

Lizzie

I was driving down the M1 motorway to meet someone before going to see popmart at Wembley.

As I passed junction 11 there was this huge BANG. I thought something had exploded. After pulling over I got the engine going, but it was making a noise like a six engined prop driven airliner.

I decided to risk it, and made my way with absolutely EVERYONE staring at me because the engine was so loud. If the cops had spotted me they'd have pulled me over for certain.

Turned out one of the spark plugs had actually worked its way loose and was thrashing about inside the engine (god knows how dangerous it was)

Anyway, finally got there and had the time of my life, but it was soooo close.

LOL, wow, Ellay-willing to risk potential car problems to see U2-yeah, that definitely qualified for this thread :D.

U2MaNaIcWeIdO said:
Why thanks. I agree too.

You're welcome, and cool :).

U2MaNaIcWeIdO said:
Man, you making me think about that..in fact I'm thinking more of a Green River right about now! But I'm thinking about Irish Coffee/Irish Hot Chocolate too.

Lizzie

Oh, yeah? Well, whatever you have, enjoy your drink :).

Angela

Axver said:
I don't even know where to start.

The first incident that has come to mind: A band was playing at my school's chapel service and I wasn't really interested. Then the lead singer made a little speech and mentioned Bono. I jumped up and screamed "YEAH!" and pretty much made a fool of myself in front of the whole school.

:laugh:

I don't even want to admit how excited I was when my boss asked me to mail a letter yesterday and it was addressed to "Mr. Dave Evans". :reject:

lauren430 said:
I am waking up at 7:15 am every weekday for 3 weeks, including on my spring break, to hear what time they will read a letter later in the day in this U2 radio contest I entered.

Today I didn't win and I nearly cried. :|
[/QUOTE

I feel your pain.

Just yesterday, a local radio station was playing a U2 song every hour from 6 AM to 11 PM, and today if you were the 17th caller when they gave the cue to call, and could name all the songs that were played, you won tickets to the Ottawa show.

So I woke up at 5:30 yesterday and listened to the radio religiously and jotted down the song titles. And this morning when I tried to call, all I got was a busy signal. :( I was quite upset.

The contest itself was fun though

:wink:

if i see you walking down the street wearing a u2 tshirt chances are i will stalk you...
i remember following this one guy for awhile who was wearing a zootv shirt, and then walking alongside him until i finally got the courage to say "oo where did you get your shirt?" .... the surprised/confused look on his face as he said "o ummm i got it as a present from my uncle" was pretty priceless

I stole a teen magazine that my Mum wouldn't let me buy when I was 10 yrs old in 1983 just to get the U2 poster that was in there.

It stayed on my wall , until I moved in with my husband. Even now, they are stored in the garage!

I also slept for years in a Love Town Tshirt, just so I could say I slept with Bono! lol

when i was 16 we had to do a presentation in front of the class for history i think. anyway, i was scared shitless and refused to do it, so the teacher told me i could pick any topic if it made it easier. so i played the whole class "running to stand still" and told them what it was about. everybody was in complete shock, and it was fun to do!

georginabono said:
when i was 16 we had to do a presentation in front of the class for history i think. anyway, i was scared shitless and refused to do it, so the teacher told me i could pick any topic if it made it easier. so i played the whole class "running to stand still" and told them what it was about. everybody was in complete shock, and it was fun to do!

I'd have a Phd if I would've had projects like that in school! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom