Who agrees with this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjhbonovox

Refugee
I was just watching and listening to the live version of SYCMIOYO on the DVD single, and the 2nd half of the song, from Edge's solo sounds fuc#ing amazing. Compare it to the album version and it's just from a different planet. The album version, on my surround system, sounds like it is in mono compared to this live version. The live DVD version has a clarity and great sound to it where as the album version towards the end just seems to distort. It leads me to believe that the final mix for this song(and probably others) were absolutely destroyed when there is a difference in sound quality as significant as this. I suppose I will get shot down for dissing the album again but it's what I hear.

almost every song by u2 is better live so its not surprising that it's better live.

its a masterpiece of a song either way you slice it though in my opinion

SYCMIOYO is a good song, but the live version is leaps and bounds ahead of the album version. You just have to love the wailing guitar Edge pulls out for the last two minutes of the song, and the midsection becomes sooo much more powerful. Live, this song is truly a tear jerker.

I don't really like that guitar part at the end because it reminds me of an Croatian song, made long ago which I almost hate... :(

Its hard to describe the difference, I think it's just that the Live version seems to have more space to it, you can hear the individual instruments better, and Edge's guitar in the mid section has more crispness to it. Just a really great live version.

In the live versions, when Bono hits the big "SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNG" note, Edge's guitar explodes to the forefront, whereas in the studio version it's lost in the mix. It looks like they purposely "muted" the guitar on the studio version to isolate Bono's voice. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but the live version is so much more powerful.

Judah said:
I'll have to see the dvd version again. Is it really live that full electric version? From what i remember, there are different video shots of Bono (some with a guitar, some without), intercut to make the whole track. It looks like they filmed several takes. I mean the track may still be live, just edited from several takes. (I apologize if i'm getting my video snippets mixed up and sound completely incoherent.)

I am talking about the Live version done at HQ for the Radio 1 broadcast on the DVD single and not the DVD version with the album done in the summer. The Radio 1 broadcast was 100% live, except for maybe some keyboard synths etc but they were all playing live as you can hear the difference in sound. Its a fuc#ing great version and brings to life the song in my opinion.

i love the way edges quitar sound less "compact" in the DVD version if that makes sense, great version great album song, great everything=masterpiece

Judah said:
Right. I realized that and tried to edit my last post...but not in time!

Thx. for the clarification, rjhbonovox. I'll now have to pick up the single (as an import here in Canada, i guess).

It is well worth buying cos I wasn't that big a fan of this song but this version just brings the song to life. The last two minutes from Edge's solo to the end are magnificent. It's just a more stripped down feel to it, you can hear the bass and the drums more, Edge's guitar part is more prominent, it just sounds magnificent on my hi-fi. It brings me back to my original point, the studio version of this song and also COBL may have been ruined by overproduction and/or poor mixing, but that has been well documented in the past.

Pero said:

WTF?!Which??????

Stvarno se ne sjecam koja je pjesma, a ni za grupu nisam siguran, ali mislim da su Vjestice... (taj dio nije bas da je isti, ali me jos od prvog puta podsjeca)
Ako se kad sjetim/cujem pjesmu...

rjhbonovox said:

It is well worth buying cos I wasn't that big a fan of this song but this version just brings the song to life. The last two minutes from Edge's solo to the end are magnificent. It's just a more stripped down feel to it, you can hear the bass and the drums more, Edge's guitar part is more prominent, it just sounds magnificent on my hi-fi. It brings me back to my original point, the studio version of this song and also COBL may have been ruined by overproduction and/or poor mixing, but that has been well documented in the past.

Then I still don´t understand why you love ´Pop´ so much... Great songs, but live sooo much better (Mofo, Gone, Please etc). U2 is a live band and I´m sure HTDAAB has so much live-material. Can´t wait to see the guys in Chicago!

whasjoewahn said:

Then I still don´t understand why you love ´Pop´ so much... Great songs, but live sooo much better (Mofo, Gone, Please etc). U2 is a live band and I´m sure HTDAAB has so much live-material. Can´t wait to see the guys in Chicago!

Gotta disagree with you here, all of Pop's songs were better on the album than live. Maybe Please was just about even with its album track. But the reason I love Pop so much is that it sounds rough around the edges, not overproduced and before someone says about the processing etc that goes into songs like Mofo, thats what them songs are all about. The producers and mixes of Pop didn't ruin the tracks. The mixing on certain tracks off HTDAAB sound crap in my opinion, and SYCMIOYO is one prime example. I have again been listening to the live version and it is absolutely brilliant. As i have said before, from Edge's solo to the end of the song is magnificent. The bass and the drums are alive on this live version. If you listen in surround sound as I do then you will hear what I mean cos on the album version it sounds like that song is in mono and everything seems to be coming out of the centre speaker and this makes the end of the song sound distorted. I wasn't that big a fan of the song, probably cos of the piss poor mix, but when I listen to this live version it sounds awesome, with no fuc#ing idiot in the recording studio to fuc# up the sound. Why couldn't the album version sound more like this cos it should have done. The album version just sounds like it has been overproduced and mixed very badly in comparison.

rjhbonovox said:

Gotta disagree with you here, all of Pop's songs were better on the album than live. Maybe Please was just about even with its album track. But the reason I love Pop so much is that it sounds rough around the edges, not overproduced and before someone says about the processing etc that goes into songs like Mofo, thats what them songs are all about. The producers and mixes of Pop didn't ruin the tracks. The mixing on certain tracks off HTDAAB sound crap in my opinion, and SYCMIOYO is one prime example. I have again been listening to the live version and it is absolutely brilliant. As i have said before, from Edge's solo to the end of the song is magnificent. The bass and the drums are alive on this live version. If you listen in surround sound as I do then you will hear what I mean cos on the album version it sounds like that song is in mono and everything seems to be coming out of the centre speaker and this makes the end of the song sound distorted. I wasn't that big a fan of the song, probably cos of the piss poor mix, but when I listen to this live version it sounds awesome, with no fuc#ing idiot in the recording studio to fuc# up the sound. Why couldn't the album version sound more like this cos it should have done. The album version just sounds like it has been overproduced and mixed very badly in comparison.

"I wasn't that big a fan of the song, probably cos of the piss poor mix"

F**ing hell, get an ear for music mate. People like you want it signed, sealed and delivered on a plate. Is it that difficult to see the true brilliance in this song? :banghead: :banghead:

Last edited:
roy said:

F**ing hell, get an ear for music mate. People like you want it signed, sealed and delivered on a plate. Is it that difficult to see the true brilliance in this song? :banghead: :banghead:

Double post.

roy said:

WELL THE ALBUM WAS MIXED VERY POORLY, AS DISCUSSED ON THIS FORUM WHEN THE ALBUM WAS JUST RELEASED.
SO IT MAY HAVE BEEN A BRILLIANT SONG ALL ALONG, BUT POORLY MIXED.

Popmartijn said:

WELL THE ALBUM WAS MIXED VERY POORLY, AS DISCUSSED ON THIS FORUM WHEN THE ALBUM WAS JUST RELEASED.
SO IT MAY HAVE BEEN A BRILLIANT SONG ALL ALONG, BUT POORLY MIXED.

EVEN SO, ANYONE WITH ANYYYYY DECENT TASTE IN MUSIC COULD TELL THAT IT WAS A GREAT SONG...... MIXED POORLY MY ARSE.......

roy said:
EVEN SO, ANYONE WITH ANYYYYY DECENT TASTE IN MUSIC COULD TELL THAT IT WAS A GREAT SONG...... MIXED POORLY MY ARSE.......

WELL, A GREAT SONG DOES NOT NECESSARILY EQUAL A GREAT RECORDING.

Popmartijn said:

I AM SAYING THAT THE MIX OF THE ALBUM IS POOR, WHICH DEVALUES THE SONGS.

You are sadly lacking imagination. The basic (brilliant) structure of the song is there for all to see. To say that the album version devalues the song is absolute and utter bollox on your part...

roy said:

You are sadly lacking imagination. The basic (brilliant) structure of the song is there for all to see. To say that the album version devalues the song is absolute and utter bollox on your part...

Well said...its not like the melodies and superb vocals are drowned out. I think its quite a clean recording actually.

Popmartijn said:
WE'RE NOT TALKING ABOUT THE STRUCTURE OF THE SONG HERE, BUT ON THE QUALITY OF THE SOUND.

Shite, I'm sooo sorry, I got totally confused by:

"the studio version of this song and also COBL may have been 'RUINED' by overproduction and/or poor mixing".

Quality of the sound.....

I see I have been upsetting good ol' Roy again!. Well for one you are talking outta yer arse when you say that poor production and mixing doesn't ruin a song. How in the fuc# can you not see that! Of course it does, if a mix of a song is shite then 50% enjoyment of listening to that song has gone, de-valueing the whole experience. COBL is the worse mix of a song I have ever heard by U2 and not far behind is SYCMIOYO. They are terrible to listen to at loud volume on a decent hi-fi, I don't listen to them for this very reason. Have you got a decent hi-fi??? Compare that to the live version on the DVD single and the mix of that BLOWS the f@cking album version out of the water. Open your ears listen to the live version. By the way I didn't piss all over your opinions, this time you started it with your ass wipe of a post above! and I quote "F**ing hell, get an ear for music mate." No, you get your fuc#in ears syringed! MATE!!!

Back
Top Bottom