Who actually expected the Webcast to go well?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkeeK

The Original, Rock n' Roll Doggie, VIP PASS
I know I was expecting it to be a complete disaster... but whaddaya know it worked out rather well (at least for me). I had such low expectations.. but even if I had medium expectations they would have been satisfied.

So, anyone actually have high expectations even against better judgement?

There was an article on You Two . net that explained how Tiscali shared a technology with Network Appliance (I think) in order to handle "millions" of U2 fans worldwide. That got my hopes up for sure and I was not let down.

Well, I think I could say I had high expectations...the webcast may be the only opportunity I have ever had to see a concert on this tour.
In fact I had no major problems, only towards the end, some distortion and interruptions...but I'm happy anyway. I could share some great moments yesterday night with a dear friend, he was also watching the concert and we could share our feelings and thoughts thru AIM. It was really nice.

optimist!
rolleyes.gif

they were prepared for tons of fans for the edge chat a few months ago and that blew up.

Hopefully in the future u2 online events will be more like this one.

I hadn't made any plans to watch it because I didn't think it would work. (Previous experience with all things U2.com considered.) It worked very well for me. I couldn't watch it all because I had a science test to write, but I was able to catch some of it from the realplayer site. It went in and out, but it was better than nothing!
smile.gif

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

"The skeletal structure of your foot is not normal." -- my podiatrist 8-6-01

Yeah I was liek you skeek and figured I wouldnt see a damn thing, it would stop half way through etc
But it was brilliant!
Im still smiling at how good that was for people to see and for FREE!!!!

I was just sort of blindly optimistic going into it, and luckily I thought it went very well. I only got thrown off once, right at the beginning. And I didn't know how much more excited I could be for Chicago until I saw the Notre Dame concert live!

I sure didn't!

I wasn't even going to try to get connected to it, but drgnwolf1969 was on the phone with me, and he said I should at least try it...and it worked!!!
smile.gif

------------------
"But you take what you can get,
Cuz it's all that you can find,
But you know there's something more,
Tonight, tonight, tonight...

I must admit to being surprised by the quality as well - usually these things are terrible.

They were prolly multicasting across the mbone (multicasting backbone of the internet)and they were definitly using the NetApp caching server to cache the show

The advantage to multicasting versus unicasting is that it is a one to many transmission so instead of 100 50K steams you have 1 50K stream across the internet to many hosts, in this case unicast routers, to which the stream is then forwarded on as a unicast transmission like usual.

Or I could be blowing smoke out my arse I don't know what they did.

Originally posted by Skeksis:
I must admit to being surprised by the quality as well - usually these things are terrible.

They were prolly multicasting across the mbone (multicasting backbone of the internet)and they were definitly using the NetApp caching server to cache the show

The advantage to multicasting versus unicasting is that it is a one to many transmission so instead of 100 50K steams you have 1 50K stream across the internet to many hosts, in this case unicast routers, to which the stream is then forwarded on as a unicast transmission like usual.

Or I could be blowing smoke out my arse I don't know what they did.

But impressive smoke it is!

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

"The skeletal structure of your foot is not normal." -- my podiatrist 8-6-01

Back
Top Bottom