Which Unos, Dos, Tres, Catorce theory do you buy into?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macfistowannabe

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Theory One:
It refers to Steve Lillywhite producing their 1st, 2nd, 3rd and fourteenth albums.

Theory Two:
It symbolizes the impatience and confusion of the singer. He's in veritgo, where everything is distorted and out of alignment. The numbers don't follow their normal order, nor does he see light or dark, nor does he hear anything that sounds like sense. He can't stand the beat, he's asking for the check. He can't stand the beat means he's confused and upset, the impatience is seen when he's asking for the check. Same thing can be applied to the opening lines.

Theory Three
Unos" is Latin for "about", "dos" refers to the 2nd book of the Bible - Exodus, and 3,14 is the chapter and verse. Bono begins by saying this album is "About Exodus 3:14" - "God said to Moses, "I am who I am."

The album also ends with "Yahweh." Everything begins and ends with "I am."

Theory Four
The "one, two, three, fourteen" stands for this: 14 - 3 = 11 (the number of tracks on the US release). Also, Uno starts with U and dos = 2 thus symbolizing U2.

Plus this: 14 stands for 14 years ago when Boy was released.

Let the fury begin.

I bought into theory after theory in order. Theory One was convincing until I found Theory Two (thanks Danospano). Recently, I came across Theory Three, probably equally as convincing. I'm not so sure about Theory Four though.

theory #1, because it's so simple, it couldn't possibly be true.

probably the real meaning behind it is they were in spain during the elevation tour and bono was smitten with this lady there and she was referring to the ages of her children or something equally outlandish and unlikely.

If Boy was released only 14 years ago I must've entered some kind of time warp. Cool! I'm only 27 years old again!!

I don't buy into any of those theories. I go with the "too much alcohol + late night recording = hilarious kitch countdown action" theory.

I don't buy into the theory's really either. I just think it's supposed to be a regular countdown into the song but Bono decided 14 sounded better--like a crazy liftoff. 1.....2.....3..14! Like the way kids count when they're ready to take off if you know what I mean.

I personally find it a little hillarious how people try to analyze everthing the band does. Not that there's anything wrong with it, I just think people try to put reason and meanings to things that sometimes really don't have a deep meaning or reason.

To paraphrase Bono in the 1980's. "If I went on stage and whipped my dick out for no reason, people would be sitting around analyzing what it means..what the big idea behind it was"

Last edited:
:huh:

AGAIN

for the LAST f'ing time

bono likes to have spanish girlfriends aged thirteen, preferrably three of them at a time. this is merely a shoutout to those lovely spainish teens in his life.

please, put this to rest now. thanks. this is the third time ive posted this, i hope i dont have to post it catorce times.

Macfistowannabe said:
I bought into theory after theory in order. Theory One was convincing until I found Theory Two (thanks Danospano). Recently, I came across Theory Three, probably equally as convincing. I'm not so sure about Theory Four though.

Where'd you come across theory 3? That's the theory I started a long time ago. Also in the HTDAAB booklet, Exodus 3:14 is written on the opening page, and the verse is referred to in All Because of You.

Last edited:
I just thought he was bein' goofy. He attempted Spanish, didn't get the words right, but kept it in to make it sound spontaneous. It also kinda-sorta harkens back to the beginning of the "I Will Follow" countdown.

Theory# 6

Bono knows all the fans sit around analyzing his lyrics, so he really wanted to give them something to argue about this time around.

Just wanted to let everybody know, since I know Latin and all, that "Theory 3" is more bullshit than I can even believe.

For the record, you use the preposition "de" to say "about" in Latin. I don't know who the fuck decided that "unos" is "de," but he/she didn't know what was up. In fact, "unos" isn't even a word in Latin...the closest it would be is the plural of "unus, -a, -um," but since there is not plural in Latin for one (it's sort of inherently singular), it's sort of a no-go.

Sorry for being technical...it's...

1) Obvious that there's nothing to analyze in the count-off, which Bono himself has said, and

2) That "Theory Three," in particular, is shockingly wrong. That's like saying that when a singer mumbles, "Woaiwefjwkjkkswwhaw," in a song, it means that God is always with us. "Woaiwefjwkjkkswwhaw" isn't even a word in English (or any other language that I can think of), just as "unos" isn't a word in Latin.

Rock the house.

learn2kneel said:
Where'd you come across theory 3? That's the theory I started a long time ago. Also in the HTDAAB booklet, Exodus 3:14 is written on the opening page, and the verse is referred to in All Because of You.
relevantmagazine.com - their review of the new album had posters yipping and I stumbled across it. Just in time for this thread, as a matter of fact. Thanks for the Ex 3:14 note by the way.

None of the above. I think if you're going to randomly shout numbers in a foreign language as the intro to your song, you'd at least better not say ONE TWO THREE FOUR.

Oh, I guess I do like Springsteen's retrospective take on systems theory - the sum is greater than it's parts.

If you shout... said:
Just wanted to let everybody know, since I know Latin and all, that "Theory 3" is more bullshit than I can even believe.

For the record, you use the preposition "de" to say "about" in Latin. I don't know who the fuck decided that "unos" is "de," but he/she didn't know what was up. In fact, "unos" isn't even a word in Latin...the closest it would be is the plural of "unus, -a, -um," but since there is not plural in Latin for one (it's sort of inherently singular), it's sort of a no-go.

Sorry for being technical...it's...

1) Obvious that there's nothing to analyze in the count-off, which Bono himself has said, and

2) That "Theory Three," in particular, is shockingly wrong. That's like saying that when a singer mumbles, "Woaiwefjwkjkkswwhaw," in a song, it means that God is always with us. "Woaiwefjwkjkkswwhaw" isn't even a word in English (or any other language that I can think of), just as "unos" isn't a word in Latin.

Rock the house.
For the record, I didn't make that one up. I didn't make any of these theories up, I hunted them all down on the internet.

I don't think they're "crap" (and I'm glad you ended your post with a question mark:wink: ).

I find them rather interesting, and it's cool how there are so many coincidential theories and only one if any are right.

theory #7

Fake Edge stole the lyrics and wrote 1, 2, 3, 14. bono didn't noticed and just sang that part

... or we could go with Bruce Springsteen's theory from the RRHoF induction ceremony- rock groups better be more than the sum of their parts.

Back
Top Bottom