Which Unos, Dos, Tres, Catorce theory do you buy into?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono was asked about this in an interview recently (can't remember what publication). His response to "Can you explain 1, 2, 3, 14?" was:

"I think there was probably some alcohol involved."

I'd say they were drunk, recorded it that way, and then after the fact realized it made no sense. However, it was also kind of catchy and funny and very unique so they stuck with it, and now it has almost become a trademark for them...doesn't make much sense, but it really doesn't have to, does it?

Numbology said:
Theory #7.

unos + dos + tres + tres + unos + dos+ dos = catorce

LOL doesn't quite run off the tongue as easily but it sounds as good as all the others!

I go with the alcohol theory :) It seems like much more fun!

Last edited:
If you shout... said:
Just wanted to let everybody know, since I know Latin and all, that "Theory 3" is more bullshit than I can even believe.

For the record, you use the preposition "de" to say "about" in Latin. I don't know who the fuck decided that "unos" is "de," but he/she didn't know what was up. In fact, "unos" isn't even a word in Latin...the closest it would be is the plural of "unus, -a, -um," but since there is not plural in Latin for one (it's sort of inherently singular), it's sort of a no-go.

Sorry for being technical...it's...

1) Obvious that there's nothing to analyze in the count-off, which Bono himself has said, and

2) That "Theory Three," in particular, is shockingly wrong. That's like saying that when a singer mumbles, "Woaiwefjwkjkkswwhaw," in a song, it means that God is always with us. "Woaiwefjwkjkkswwhaw" isn't even a word in English (or any other language that I can think of), just as "unos" isn't a word in Latin.

Rock the house.

1) Bono is not speaking Latin, he's speaking Spanish, in spanish if you use unos in front of a group of numbers it can mean "about".

2) That's not the central part of the theory anyway, even if he did say "uno", it could be interpreted as the first testament in the bible.

3) It's hard to ignore the other references to the verse, especially the fact that its PRINTED ON THE BOOKLET, and referenced to in TWO OTHER SONGS, not that i'm saying it absolutely has to be right, but your points don't make any logical argument against it.

StlElevation said:
:huh:

AGAIN

for the LAST f'ing time

bono likes to have spanish girlfriends aged thirteen, preferrably three of them at a time. this is merely a shoutout to those lovely spainish teens in his life.

please, put this to rest now. thanks. this is the third time ive posted this, i hope i dont have to post it catorce times.

You may have to...cause I don't buy it!

Theory #8

Subconciously theory #3.

Bono may blame the drink, but he did write Exodus 3:14 in the booklet thingy, so it was in his mind at some point. His subconcious mind did it, but the concious mind has no idea, and blames latenight drinking.

Hey, theories like # 3 comes in handy for people who rag on Bono's lyrics. ;)

Wasn't there a theory #5 - where Bono is a fan of John Ritter and in one of the Three's Company episodes Jack says "Unos, dos, tres, catorce"?

Uh, yea, I'm going with the alcohol theory...

It is most certainly #3. The evidence is overwhelming. There is just absolutely no chance that Bono would refer to Exodus 3:14 in the book and have multiple references in several songs.

I guarantee you that whenever you get Bono and drink involved you eventually will get references to the bible.

I think sometimes the band confuses God with alcohol.

"I went looking for souls... I found alcohol..."

bono + too many drinks + spanish = uno dos tres catorce

maybe he meant cuatro, but he probably didn't know that was four and catorce was fourteen. cause honestly when i began leanring spanish, i confused the two. same with seis and siete. :shrug: perhaps bono sucks more at spanish than me? :wink:

For the last time (even though this is my first post on the subject), Bono is a smart man. I will never buy the argument that his Spanish is just bad and that he had no idea what he was saying. Bono may not have wanted to reveal the meaning of it on the VH-1 special. Had the host directly asked him if it was a reference to Exodus 3:14, then we probably would have gotten a definitive answer. Just like the time a reporter cornered him with the question about 'J33-3' on the ATYCLB cover. Since the reporter knew the implication of it, Bono answered in a straight forward manner. Also, the album/single version of Vertigo is not the chance result of a night of drinking. That song was worked on and worked on, even after it was transformed from Native Son. It didn't just sneak by everyone onto the album.

If Bono had written that lyric 10-15 years ago, I think people would have assumed there was a hidden meaning there. They wouldn't have thought he was just senile. Let me assure you, he is not senile just yet. If you read his "In Conversation" book, you'll see just how intelligent he is. I know that some editing of the original conversations must have been done, but I believe the vast majority to be his own words. He comes across as very knowledgeable on a wide range of subjects, and even if his Spanish isn't ace, he's certainly capable of finding the correct words for what he wants to say.

I'll go with Theory #3

oh good... another insightful discussion on the whole uno, dos, tres, catorce thing. just what we needed.

shootme.gif

I thought this was an old thread, but I see now that it just popped up in the last couple of days. I guess the debate rages on.

Back
Top Bottom