Which U2 songs have the most poetic lyrics?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

~LadyLemon~

I Serve Larry's Stick
I'm curious to see what everyone thinks. I'm still thinking about it myself!
smile.gif

------------------
I've been walking Central Park
Singing after dark
People think I'm crazy

Stay, and Gone.

------------------
"Yep...Silver and Gold!!!" - Bono

We'll Shine Like Stars In The Summer Nights...

A Sort of Homecoming
Luminous Times (Hold on to Love)
Stuck in a Moment ...

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

One Tree Hill
A Sort of Homecoming
Stay
Gone
One
Walk On
Kite
Stuck
Peace on Earth
So Cruel
WGRYWH
RTSS
IGWSHA
Please

[This message has been edited by The_Sweetest_Thing (edited 01-15-2002).]

Ah, the poetry question. Being a writer, lyrics have seemed to be an interest for me in the past few years.

Here's my list (and reasons):

"One Tree Hill"

I don't believe in painted roses
Or bleeding hearts
While bullets rape the night of the merciful
I'll see you again
When the stars fall from the sky
And the moon has turned red
Over One Tree Hill

"So Cruel"

Her skin is pale like God's only dove
Screams like an angel for your love
Then she makes you watch her from above
And you need her like a drug

She wears my love like a see-through dress
Her lips say one thing
Her movements something else
Oh love...like a screaming flower
Love...dying every hour...love

"The Fly"

Every artist is a cannibal,
every poet is a thief.
All kill their inspiration,
and sing about their grief.

"Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World"

Sunrise like a nosebleed
Your head hurts and you can't breathe
You been tryin' to throw your arms around the world
How far you gonna go
Before you lose your way back home

"Please"

THE WHOLE DAMN THING!

"If God Will Send His Angels"

It's been a while since we saw that child
Hanging 'round this neighbourhood
You see his mother dealing in a doorway
See Father Christmas with a begging bowl
Jesus sister's eyes are a blister
The High Street never looked so low

"When I look at the World"

When the night is someone else's
And you're trying to get some sleep
When your thoughts are too expensive
To ever want to keep

Well I know that wasn't ALL the poetic tunes. But those are the ones in my head at the moment. Cheers.

~z~

------------------
" You love this town - even if that doesn't ring true. You've been all over, and it's been all over you " - Bono

" Don't you know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk " - Tom Waits

Originally posted by Zoocifer:

"So Cruel"

Her skin is pale like God's only dove
Screams like an angel for your love
Then she makes you watch her from above
And you need her like a drug

She wears my love like a see-through dress
Her lips say one thing
Her movements something else
Oh love...like a screaming flower
Love...dying every hour...love

"Please"

THE WHOLE DAMN THING!

"If God Will Send His Angels"

It's been a while since we saw that child
Hanging 'round this neighbourhood
You see his mother dealing in a doorway
See Father Christmas with a begging bowl
Jesus sister's eyes are a blister
The High Street never looked so low

I agree on all of those!!

------------------
"Rhythm is the sex of music" - Edge

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

Sunday Bloody Sunday.

I would guess that most of us don't think of it as "poetry" because it's so aggressive and angry, but the lyrics are very strong.

A Sort of Homecoming is U2's number one poetic moment, and probably my favourite lyric by them.

------------------
Your seven worlds collide
Whenever I am by your side
Dust from a distant sun
Will shower over everyone

-Crowded House

Originally posted by scatteroflight:
A Sort of Homecoming is U2's number one poetic moment, and probably my favourite lyric by them.

Good call--that's the song that popped up in my head while thinking of poetic lyrics...

------------------
Singing after dark
People think I'm crazy

A friend of mine (who happens to be a U2 fanatic) took a poetry course at the University of South Carolina where the professor had a section devoted to the lyrics of Bono.

I thought that was pretty damn cool.

I would say,

One Tree Hill
Mothers of the Disappeared
Zooropa
Bad
Running to Stand Still

I have to say:

One Tree Hill
So Cruel
Running To Stand Still
The Fly

...however...it's hard to choose...

[This message has been edited by Bonos_glasses (edited 01-15-2002).]

PROMENADE

"Earth Sky Sea and Rain
Here she comes back again..
Barbed wire fence cut me down
I like to be around
In a spiral staircase
To the higher ground.."

And my favorite part-
"And I like a firework Explode
Roman Candle Lightning lights up the sky"

"In cracked streets trampled underfoot
Side-step the sidewalk
See you stare into the space
Have I got closer now behind the face.."

And the rest of course...

Its all so personal and ever so descriptive.

------------------
"You gotta put the women and children first, but you've got an unquenchable thirst for New York..."

Exit

------------------
Singing after dark
People think I'm crazy

A Sort of Homecoming - these lyrics have been stuck in my head for 15 years, and I still don't know what the song's about. It's just so impressionistic.

In God's Country

Heartland - how can you guys overlook this song?! Amazing.

Originally posted by agentorange:
A Sort of Homecoming - these lyrics have been stuck in my head for 15 years, and I still don't know what the song's about. It's just so impressionistic.

In God's Country

Heartland - how can you guys overlook this song?! Amazing.

I agree
I'll add Lemon
(but I think pretty much every lyric Bono writes is poetic)

------------------
"Coke does not add life. It might be a nice fizzy drink but it does not add life." - Bono
"Well, it could have been an artichoke, but we wanted a more practical fruit." -Larry
?This is when the band became Depeche Mode!? ? Steve Lillywhite plays some tracks that didn?t make it to the final cut of WTSHNN.

Running to Stand Still, In God's Country, All I Want Is You, Hawkmoon 269, So Cruel, Acrobat, Love is Blindness, Lemon, Stay, Miami, Falling at Your Feet, Beautiful Day

Pretty much everything off Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, and Rattle and Hum. These are, what I refer to, as "Bono, the brooding poet years". His imagination was lost in its own juices at this time. His writing really took off.

Some favourite lines that stick out for me:

* A Sort Of Homecoming ("And your earth moves beneath your own dream-landscape"; and "...this bomb-blast lightening waltz")

* Promenade (no one line sticks out, that's how good it is)

* Bad ("Bruised silken sky and burning flag / colours crash, collide in bloodshot eyes")

* Heartland ("See the sunrise over her skin / Dawn changes everything, everything"; and "Freeway like a river cuts through this land / Into the side of love...")

* All I Want Is You ("...a harbour in the Tempest")

* When Love Comes To Town ("...I through the dice when they pierced his side / but I've seen love conquer the Great Divide")

* One Tree Hill ("We see the sun go down, in your eyes")

* Mothers of the Disappeared ("See their tears in the rain fall")

* Running To Stand Still ("with her eyes painted red...")

* Hawkmoon 269 ("Like a Phoenix rising needs a holy tree...")

* Angel of Harlem ("An angel in Devil's shoes / Salvation in the blues...")

* Love Rescue Me ("See the purple of her eyes / The scarlet of my lies...")

* Bullet The Blue Sky ("His face red like a rose on a thorn bush / Like all the colours of a royal flush")

* Acrobat ("To take the cup / To fill it up / To drink it slow / I can't let you go"; and "In dreams begin responsibilites")

* One ("You say, Love is a temple / Love a higher law / Love is a temple / Love the higher law / You ask me to enter / But then you make me crawl") -- incidentally, I believe 'One' is Bono's finest hour as a songwriter, and even poetically it ranks right up there.

* Stay ("And if you look, you look through me / And when you talk you talk at me / And when I touch you, you don't feel a thing"; and also "...A vampire or a victim / It depends on whose around")

* Zooropa ("Let uncertainty be the guiding light")

* Gone ("What you thought was freedom is just greed")

* Please ("September, streets capsizing, spilling over down the drain / Shards of glass, splinters like rain / But you could only feel your own pain")

* Kite ("Somewhere I can taste the salt of the sea / There's a kite blowing out of control on the breeze / Sometimes I wonder what's going to happen to you / Sometimes you wonder what has happened to me")

* Walk On ("You could have flown away / A singing bird in an open cage / Who will only fly, only fly / For freedom...")

* Wild Honey ("I send you flowers / Cut flowers for you hall / I know your garden is full / But is there sweetness at all...")

* North And South Of The River ("There was a badness that had its way / But love wasn't lost / Love will have its day"; and "I want to meet you where you are / I don't need you to surrender")

* Never Let Me Go ("You take a stranger by the hand / A man who doesn't understand / His wildest dreams / You walk across the dirty sand / And offer him an ocean / Of what he's never seen")

* Falling At Your Feet (pretty much every word; every line needs the whole, and the whole needs every line -- kind of like Promenade and Bad that way)

Okay, that about wraps things up for now!
wink.gif
One thing I've noticed about what I like from early U2 opposed to later U2 (or maybe it's just Bono's style has changed) is the early stuff I appreciate more for its poeticness, whereas the later work I appreciate more for, what I like to call, the "U2 truisms" -- by that I mean, the later stuff is more declaritive, more direct, and not as flowery. I love the two lyrical eras for entirely different reasons. I'm a sucker for metaphor and imagery, so I do love to get lost in the poetry of the 80s stuff, but I am also deeply moved by the strong (but not preachy) sentiments of the 90s. It is a mark of a great songwriter to be direct and honest, without making the listener feel bombarded by the writer's views. Bono has recently accomplished this, much like Lennon once did, in my opinion.

------------------
The Tempest

[This message has been edited by Michael Griffiths (edited 01-20-2002).]

Well, nothing much to be said after another great post by Michael Griffits
wink.gif
. I would add So Cruel to his list though...talking about a poetic way to express one?s broken heart...

------------------
"To me a rock and roll concert is 3-D, it?s a physical thing - it?s rhythm for the body. It?s a mental thing in that it should be intellectually challenging. But it?s also a spiritual thing, because it?s a community, it?s people agreeing on something, even if it?s only for an hour and a half." (Bono, as quoted in the book U2 The Road to Pop)

So Cruel
Stay
RTSS
Walk To The Water
One Tree Hill
ISHWILF
Please

Back
Top Bottom