Which U2 songs contain more than one melody and could've been split in separate ones?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

voxson

The Fly
Some songs are coherent from start to finish but there are others that change melody at one point and makes you wonder if U2 could have created a separate song out of the melody in that brief part...

One example I always think of is the "Don't turn around" part in WGRYWH that is beautiful enough to have been the chorus of another song... Can you think of more songs like that?

I think the same about Walk On, the album version at least, it sounds a bit diff at the "home, is where the heart is" section

I think there are many like that, simply because those songs were grafted from separate but complementary ideas or musical motives.

First example that comes to mind is Zooropa, but I'm glad those two ideas got merged into a single great song. Right now, I have no real interest in hearing them separated.

With U2 I often have the idea that either the producer (Steve or brian or whoever) pushes them to use something in another place when the completion of a song is not moving ahead, or that Edge figures it out, like his comments on the composing of "Love and Peace or Else" suggest.

I'll agree with Zooropa - has like 5 different parts - could have been 2 or 3 different songs

Dirty Day is another one with distinct parts...especially the ending.

Well, on my particular copy of The Joshua Tree, "Oh Great Ocean Oh Great Sea" definitely does NOT fit with the beggining of Exit. :no:

deltau922 said:
Well, on my particular copy of The Joshua Tree, "Oh Great Ocean Oh Great Sea" definitely does NOT fit with the beggining of Exit. :no:

haha, well, it does fit in to the end of One Tree Hill, as it shoud have (my copy is the same as yours)

I think that the bridge in Native Son is a pretty cool riff and could have been made into some sort of song, but nothing that would be on a U2 album.

Lady w/ the Spinning Head obviously, I love it's splitees The Fly and UltraViolet more

Numb1075 said:
Dirty Day is another one with distinct parts...especially the ending.

I agree, the bridge ("from father to son...") could have been its own song, and the "days run away like horses over the hill" could have, too. However, as it is it's one of my favorite songs. So who knows?

Originally posted by miss becky

The bridge of Last Night on Earth. Totally does not belong in that song.

I agree, but I don't think they should have made another song with it, but rather pitched it altogether. I can't see it being the core of another song, and it marrs what is otherwise an incredible song, IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom