Which U2 song got you hooked and changed your life forever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pride (in the name of love), but this was only about 5 years ago. It was a mixture of that, Beautiful Day, and I've been rocking out to Sunday, Bloody Sunday ever since I heard it on the radio when I was about three. :wink:

For me it wasn't even a U2 song - it was Bono's duet with Frank Sinatra (I've Got You Under My Skin) ... Who the hell belongs to that sexy voice? I was a goner.

A Celebration. A one off single that didn't appear on any official U2 album until they release the digital complete set.

1983, in a suburb of Detroit, a young black woman struggling to get out of the inner city, listens to a "alternative" Detroit radio station to remind her that there's a life outside the city she lives in...hears "A Celebration" and wonders.

It was the War lp and all that was happening to the band at that time that made me a fan for life...I can remember listening to the band doing radio interviews on Detroit AOR stations when War came out and reading the Rolling Stones article, "Blessed Are the Peacemakers".

I remember listening to the US Festival live on the radio and hearing the band play and then watching it several nights later on tv.

I remember watching the band being interview on a short lived video show called MV3 starring Richard Blade.

I remember living in a house that had cable and watching USA's "Night Flight" (a midnight to 6am program) and their feature on the band and their videos at that time.

It wasn't until 1994-95 that I was able to buy the single "A Celebration". Though I have since lost the single, I did find the song on a bootleg "B" sides CD in 1996.

Pride.

I wasn't a U2 fan until last spring. I knew who they were, but never got into them. Then, I listened this song for the 1st time on the radio. Yes, I know it took me until 2004 to listen to a song that had been out for 20 years. But if it weren't for Pride, I would not be a U2 fan.

bonosgirl84 said:
i have the video to a celebration :up:

my song was a sort of homecoming

bonosgirl84, I remember seeing the video of A Celebration once and in the book The U2 File, I remember seeing photos of the video shoot. If I am upset with U2 about anything, its that they didn't include the song in the best of 80-90 set, which in turn meant that the video would have been on the best of vhs.

I am a fan of A Sort of Homecoming too, both versions.

Christmas 1987. My two biggest requests were a new boom box and The Joshua Tree. Both were met. I put the JT tape into my new Sony double cassette/radio player (which put my crappy Panasonic, falling apart, filled with static, inherited from my older sister in the early 80's, previous player to shame). I cranked up the volume on my new glistening black box and surrounded by wrapping paper heard those first chords of Where the Streets Have No Name blaring through the house. I was 14, and I have never been the same since. :faint:

Wow, there sure are a lot of newbies--as far as U2 fans go--here. Late comers. Johnny come-latelies...LOL Hey, what's important is you saw the light and followed it. :wink:

I remember hearing I Will Follow first, but it didn't hook me. I got hooked with Gloria and NYD that I heard in a bar at college. Seems to me I always find at more than a few songs on each album (CD) to keep me hooked.

New Year's Day - in the year of 1983.

Achtung Baby - Zooropa - Passengers & Pop renewed and perpetuated my respect and love for a band which had the balls to reinvent itself at the height of its success and doubled the bet with an awesome production thoroughout the past decade.

it was bright morning in england when i first heard my cousin playing october during the winter of '94. i was 7 then, and now im 18. ive been hooked ever since...u2 honestly is the best band in the world. they are unique and dont give a damn about what others think, and i respect that. :rockon:

Back
Top Bottom