Which U2 song got you hooked and changed your life forever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will probably be the only one to say this but....

HMTMKMKM was the song that first got me into the band. After I listened to this I wanted to hear more by the band, so my dad recommended The Joshua Tree. He took me to Target, and I bought it, and it was so different from what I expected but it totally blew me away.

BAD,

Streets, With or Without You, Still Havent Found, Running, One Tree Hill, Mothers of the Disappeared (live Christmas version?), UltraViolet, The First Time

Two Hearts Beat As One: It was summer 1983 and I was 13 years old. Me and some guys were goofing around at a friends house and he had it on MTV, which we were not really watching. When I heard the song, I stopped in my tracks to listen to it and thought "I've never heard a sound like that before." From then on, I was hooked. That one little moment made me put down a football and pick up a guitar. Since, I've been in several bands, released three albums, and had the privilage of playing in front of thousands of people on a few occassions. May sound corny, but that one influential moment most certainly enriched my life, if not changed it altogether.

P.S. I'll bet I haven't seen that video three times since then.

I will follow in my friend's house 95.I said i would see them when they next toured and i did,lansdowne road august 97.What a night.

various songs on the joshua tree, october, and zooropa.

mostly bullet the blue sky, in god's country, tomorrow, and numb.

The video for Even better than the real thing got me hooked. Later Gloria, New years day, live version of Sunday bloody Sunday and Pride made me a hardcore fan.

when I was 3 my Dad was playing the Rattle & Hum Video over and over... soon I was dressed as Bono singing "Pride (In The Name Of Love)" "With Or Without You" and "Sunday Hiney Sunday" (<< couldn't say 'bloody' its a bad word :wink: )

Dunno which one came first but one of those!! :wink:

Unforgettable fire. Was with this beautiful Blonde in my car, parked on a malibu hillside at night... It came on the radio... It was one of those times... Will remember forever...

Brian Scolick said:
Unforgettable fire. Was with this beautiful Blonde in my car, parked on a malibu hillside at night... It came on the radio... It was one of those times... Will remember forever...

What, remember the blonde forever ;)

Mine was Fire.
The performance on TOTP in the early 80's.
Noted for the fact that U2 were the only band in history (at that time) to see their single go down in the charts after they appeared on it.

Different story now, though!!!!!!!!

Well, growing up I always loved With Or Without You. But I never bothered to figure out who the band was behind the song until I heard it on the radio 7yrs ago. Some guy on the radio said it was from the Joshua Tree but I thought he ment that the Joshua Tree was the name of the band(he forget to say "by U2" after it") Never found that band...:reject: How could I have been so stupid, let's blame it on being young)

But then later I heard BD on the radio and I liked it. I remember I was switching channels one day when I stumbled upon the video of Streets and I saw the name U2 and The Joshua Tree. And that's when it all started for me. I still love WOWY :drool:

uwwedoogie said:
and "Sunday Hiney Sunday" (<< couldn't say 'bloody' its a bad word :wink: )

I'm guessing you're from the UK? Regardless - wasn't 'Bloody' being used as an actual description of the bloodshed from the massacre, as opposed to a curse? Surely your dad would see the difference.

"Daddy, I scraped my arm and now my shirt is all bloody."

"Now son - you know not to say that. Your shirt is HINEY."

"Daddy, I'm feeling woozy."

Back in 1986 I bought The UnforgettableFire as one of the albums when joining a record club -- 10 albums for 10 cents or something. I remember thinking Pride was one of the most original songs I'd ever heard, so I picked that album. I played it maybe once, and put it away for a few years.

Yep.

The first song I ever heard from U2 (that I'm aware of) was New Year's Day. Didn't think too much of it, although I did enjoy it (love it now).

But the song that did it for me was Bad (the live version from Wide Awake in America). And I didn't even realize it was them.

I was driving home from somewhere -- I think it was from one of the firstr consulting gigs I ever had, and I was listening to maybe WNEW in NY, and heard what I thought was a live version of Silent Night by Bon Jovi. I mean, it did have the line "let it go" sung with the same notes.

But I kept waiting for the chorus that never came.

As I was listening, though, I was completely swallowed up. It was amazing. I kept driving in circles just to stay in the car, even though I made it home already. And when they said it was U2, I wanted to kick myself! I had put away UFF a few years back, never listening to it more than once!

I went in the house, whipped out the UFF, saw that the studio version of Bad was on it, and played it. I was hooked.

A short while later, MTV announced a new video by U2 -- With Or Without You. I watched, liked what I saw / heard, but thought it was "pretty good". A friend of mine lent me her tape of JT shortly after, and I wasn't that impressed -- liked Red Hill Mining Town a lot on first visit, but the rest of the album was just "pretty good", including WOWY and ISHFILF -- the only two I knew from the album at the time.

Needless to say, it is now my second favorite album ever, behind HTDAAB. WOWY is my favorite all-time song. And the first three songs from JT are the best opening three ever.

But it was Bad that did it.

Gloria. That sweeping, BIG sound of that song impressed me so much.

Also worth mentioning, is seeing the Pride video (I've forgotten which one) in September 1984 while visiting my former boss in LA, and wanting to get my hands on that record immediately afterwards...

:huh: ok dont think im one of those peple only into current popular music, but i got hooked with Vertigo:huh: im only 15 and my parents dont really listen to U2 so i never really heard them as a little kid but now im hooked totally! love achtung baby:wink:

When I saw them perform Until the End of the World, I was facinated, and seeing Bad live seeled the deal a few months later. There's no turning back now.

New Year's Day.

Saw the video in 1983. I was 12, I thought the video was pretty cool with the tank battles and the horses, but the guitar vs piano part blew me away.

Before this I would only listen to the 'Stones, particulary their 60s albums (Aftermath, Between the Buttons, 5x12, etc.)

Seeing an actual music video's was pretty rare in those days.

LiveForever said:
:huh: ok dont think im one of those peple only into current popular music, but i got hooked with Vertigo:huh: im only 15 and my parents dont really listen to U2 so i never really heard them as a little kid but now im hooked totally! love achtung baby:wink:

Achtung Baby was the first U2 'album' that absoutely amazed me (and still does! :wink: )

It's IMO a true classic recording, not just in the history of U2, but in the history of music...

PS. I can't believe it's almost 14 years old! :ohmy:

Last edited:
The first u2 song i can remember is sweetest thing, but the one that won me was when i heard with or without you as the song of the century. It has also influenced my life a lot, but not nearly as much as one, which i know is the greatest song ever recorded

"I Will Follow" knocked my socks off in December of 1981. It's funny, I had the feeling that this band I'd never heard of had a unique nationality for a rock group. I originally thought Eastern Europe! Then I saw them on MTV doing Red Rocks in 1983, and I was hooked.

I cant really say one song. For me it was the A side of War.
Still remember to this day hearing the drums of SBS and thinking "I fuckin love this band" and also watching Top of the pops and hearing NYD for the first time. ahhhh memories

Zootlesque said:
The 'Even Better Than The Real Thing' video in 1992! :drool: Pop, the album cemented it and made me hardcore.
haha, same here! although i may have heard mysterious ways on the radio first, i can't remember.

92 was right around the time when my mom wouldn't let me watch mtv anymore, so it's hard to tell. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom