Which U2 song got you hooked and changed your life forever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I first became introduced to U2 back in November of 2000. I was getting ready for (high) school one morning and caught the "Beautiful Day" video on VH1. I had seen snippets of it before but it had never manged to garner my attention. For some reason, this time was different. I stopped brushing my teeth, mid-stroke, and was glued to the TV for 4 minutes and 4 seconds. It just hit me like a freight train. Something in that song spoke to me like no other song had before it. I had to hear more U2.

Thank you, Napster! I searched for 'U2' and an abundancy of results came up. I downloaded the songs with titles I recognized. It was a revelation. 'This is a U2 song? And this one too? And this one? And this one!?!' It all came rushing at me at once - songs that I had heard on the radio and liked in the past, but had never bothered to research any further...they all belonged to the same band!

And then I listened to 'With or Without You.'

The song started off pleasantly enough.

And then, at the 1 minute, 52 second mark...

Holy crap.

When The Edge came in with that chiming, reverbed guitar...it was...I can't actually even explain how I felt. Let me try.

Remember the first time you had your favorite food? And when you did, you thought to yourself, "This is what I always thought food could be?" It was like that. When I heard Edge's guitar come in at the 1:52 mark...the entire song came together for me and I realized that, musically, I had been waiting my entire life for this moment, this band. I had had this idea of what I wanted music to be for me but I could never articulate it. I had come across bands I enjoyed, and that I liked, but this song, and this band, hit me at my core. It connected with me on a level that I never thought music ever could. It was a natural fit. It was what I had been missing. The passionate, soaring vocals, the clear, almost magical guitar flying above but also fitting in perfectly with the driving drums and bass.

It's something I've always tried to express to my friends and family but it's something they don't really 'get.' I figure you guys will.

-Miggy

We definitely get it, Miggy D. :).

This is an easy one for me to answer: "Angel Of Harlem". I heard it on a classic rock station back in the winter of 2001/2002 and fell in love with it right away. There was just something about the song-the music, the way it was being sung, the incredibly happy feeling I got hearing it...I just remember stopping whatever I'd been doing and sitting there staring at the radio and thinking, This is a REALLY good song!

In May of 2002, I had a mix CD with that song and three other U2 songs that I'd always liked as a result of hearing them on the radio throughout my life and everything, and things just clicked. And I've been in love with the band ever since.

Angela

The first song i heard was oddly enough 40, cuz my friend played it at a youth gathering. After I showed interest, i heard where the streets have no name which hooked me and changed my life. ATYCLB came out soon afterwards and Beautiful Day and Walk On got me more hooked.

Miss Sarajevo said:
A weird choice, but for me it was Electrical Storm! Nobody mentioned it and it's strange! But of course U2's music surrounded me all my life, it was played on TV and radio, and still my first record was bought after I heard Electrical Storm. The record was... ATYCLB!!! And a bit later I bought The Best Of 1900-2000 cassette.

you are not alone! Electrical storm persuaded me to buy the 1990-2000 CD. i bought both of the best of's together and it was ES and a couple of others that i remembered like Beautiful Day and Discotheque that made me get the 90's one. i still think ES is a great song.

New Years Day - because I was about 6 or 7 and loved the horses in the video:wink:

but it would have to be even better than the real thing - Achtung Baby turned me into a real fan

ISHFWILF

I remember being in 8th grade, not too into Nirvana or anything because they seemed angry. My brother had been into Zepplin and the 80s Hair Metal, which at the time I hated. Suddenly he plays JT in the car. I'm a little bit sleepy, and the 1st 3 of JT just lull me into this warm place. I realized all of a sudden that this was the music I had been waiting to hear, because it sounded HONEST, not pretentious. I asked who they were, he told U2 from Ireland.

Later, I realized the other songs of theirs, including Mysterious Ways and One, which I remembered hearing on the radio and liking, and even Gloria...

Believe it or not, I think it was Elevation. :reject: I really liked Beautiful Day and Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of, but it was Elevation that really compelled me to go out and buy All That You Can't Leave Behind (I somehow recall thinking that Edge was the coolest mofo on the planet after seeing the video, hee). It was all one big rollercoaster ride from that point onwards.

The song that really took me from that casual fan status and made me obsessed was New Year's Day. Some of you may remember the "best of" that U2.com made based on fan polls (they ended up offering eleven or so tracks for download). It was the first time I'd heard the song, and I actually cried during the intro, it sounded that good.

I kind of miss those early days of being a rabid U2 fan. :( Every excursion to town meant a new U2 album to buy and new material to gobble up...

One Tree Hill. The Joshua Tree was the first U2 album I listened to. And when I heard this song, I knew that I'd be a big U2 fan for life. I'd listened to all the other tracks, up to this one, on the album, but it felt like I'd heard it all before. The only other song I remotely liked was Running to Stand Still. One Tree Hill just sounded totally different - new, to me.

Last edited:
New Year's Day

It was on radio in January 1983. I was 12.
I heard it once on the radio, one evening, and then i got hooked forever.
You know : "I, I will begin again".
I thought about it for such a long time afterwards. It was a revelation.
But there was no internet in the stone age, and it was just the beginning of the free radio in my country.
And then I succeeded to get a copy-tape of the War album from my uncle once I had discovered it. The poor thing soon died because of eternal listening and I had to buy "War" on tape again since there was no CD either!
Of course I made copies of it to be able to listen to it again and again and again... until the CD was born! The CD was such a relief... at least for me, I don't know for my parents!
That's how it was for me.

I dont really have any heart-wrenching chill-giving story to tell, but not everyone does...
To some people like myself it was a gradual thing...
I remember lying in bed in 2000 watching the Emmy's i think it was, and I heard some of the song "Beautiful Day". Now, at that time i was a stupid girl who said she liked Eminem but that was just and act, so i thougtht to myself "o come on, u can't like this song! It won over Lose Yourself!" So i gave up on that.
3 years later, in the same exact bed watching TV, i hear "Vertigo". Now i have heard my 2 friends talk about U2 all the time and i just knew them as some Irish dudes. Then I heard the song I think to myself...this isnt bad!!! I go online, tell my friend (lemonmacphisto) that hey, i like this song! Instantly he sends me sooo many songs. I love them all! However, it's not until I hear the song "Miracle Drug" that I became hooked FOREVER!!Of course, then i get the CD's. Now my friend burnt me my CD's, and that was awesome! I realized that songs like Mysterious Ways and Pride are by U2..and I get even more hooked! Now I am at the point where I am listening to them SO much that my parents almost refuse to play them in the car. But I must say that the song that hit me the most was Walk On. I was in class when the same friend who made me the CD's called mo over and handed me his headphones and said, "u have to listen to this song" so i did. I never saw it coming. I wanted to listen to it forever. The lyrics and the music and just EVERYTHING hit me and i wasnt expecting it. I LOOOVE THAT SONG!! there are some nights when things get tough and I just curl up in my bed, listen to Walk On, and i cant help but cry. So now that I have told my story I'll leave you with this.

I know it aches,
How your heart it breaks,
You can only take so much,
Walk On...

Hey, Grandpa here...For me it was Tomorrow. Followed a close second by Bad. Sad to see neither popping up on the tour setlist (especially Bad - was really expecting that)

The first album i heard was Joshua Tree and I borrowed it from my brother. First song on the first album - Streets hooked me. It was like nothing i had ever heard up until then muscially.

The first song that hooked me lyrically, was Pride (borrowed from my brother again).

First song that hooked me from a video standpoint, was Until the End of the World (there *was* a video for that, wasnt there? or am i dreaming it?)

Live song that clinched it for all time for me - love is blindness.

its been a long exciting ride, and although i'm a huge fan, would you believe i still have never heard Zooropa album or Boy? No stores over here have Boy that i can find, and just never got around to buying Zooropa.

Last edited:
No Vancouver stores have Boy????!! Shame Canada Shame!::shame:

Anyways (sorry boriel! ) the first song that I ever heard and loved immediately was Gloria.

I was listening to my decidedly ancient mono radio/cassette (if you don't know what that is, ask your granny) to public radio when I first heard this song and was totally blown away. A couple of nights later, the same station played the first side of October on their new releases night. I taped that and played it over and over and over, just falling in love with I fall down, Rejoice and I threw a brick. I then haunted every record store in town from then on, searching for posters, reading all the English music papers and magazines for any stories, and buying Boy, which was a musical journey of its own.

I then bored my friends stupid with U2 this, U2 that. They had no idea who I was talking about, until Until a Blood Red Sky came out and then they got HUGE!

Good thing I heard Gloria. Up till then I'd been a die hard New Romantic!:D

I grew up with U2, so the songs from back then - Lemon, Mysterious Ways, Love is Blindness were all pretty important, but the one that did it was New Years Day. When I heard that I was captured.

Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of

This song really changed me...I still don't know how but I know it did...it's a very strange feeling :shrug:

The easy answer is "With Or Without You", since it was the "hit" in the 80's where I live. But it wasn't until I heard the entire Joshua Tree album that really got me noticing something very different about this band, especially the songs "Where The Streets Have No Name" and "In God's Country", that talk about ethereal places that had me dreaming up in my head.

BAD, when I first heard it off Unforgettable Fire/ I have counseled many people with addiction problems; the song has often played a role in their treatment, with good results. But the song has so many layers and can apply to so much; but mainly, the song struck (and still does) a deep emotional chord with me that has never gone away.

Bad. I first heard it on the best of album, when I wasn't really aware of U2's catalogue before 1991. It completely blew me away and everytime I hear it now, it brings me back to the place I was 5 years ago when I fist got into it.

Two different questions...SBS got me hooked....but it was Bad that changed my life forever.

Beautiful Day got me hooked (im a younger fan- 17) but Streets and One have changed my life the most

An article in Rolling Stone--that discussed a band that endorsed peace, loved God, were kind of punk rock and sexy, and wanted to be as big as the Beatles--got me intrigued . Wearing out my VHS tape of Under a Blood Red Sky got me hooked . . .
Unforgettable Fire, the whole thing, and four shows in 84-85, these changed my life forever, but especially "Bad," Pride," "Homecoming," and "MLK."
And now, it has been 20 years and this new record literally grabbed me and brought me back. I bought it the day it came out at a discount store for under $10. If the record had bombed instead of being the BOMB, that probably would have been the end of my long torrid spiritual passion for this band. But the opposite happened, so here I am . . . .spending way too much time on Interference and anticipating the shows with such . . . .
"boyish" enthusism.
(but "I'm a man, I'm not a child . . "
love, Anu

Back
Top Bottom