Which U2 song got you hooked and changed your life forever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beautiful Day/One was what prompted me to investigate U2 further, but Until The End Of The World was what really got me hooked.

Where the streets have no name was the first U2 song i loved but it was Beautiful day that turned me into the obsessed freak that i am today. i have listened to that song more than any other and it still sounds unbelievably fresh.....

Tough decision... I remember really enjoying a lot of JT stuff I heard on the radio (mainly Streets, also WOWY and ISHFWILF) but the Discotheque video really raised an eyebrow and prompted me to investigate further. When I heard more of the back catalog, I was hooked - ESPECIALLY after listening to the Achtung Baby and Zooropa albums. I remember really being blown away by Zoo Station and UTEOTW the first time I heard them...

So, yeah, lots of songs. LOL. I'm sort of a "new" U2 fan (in the respect I got hooked during the Pop era) but it's great to see so many people mention Beautiful Day. :up:

Last edited:
I was cleaning my room while listening to a "Billboard's Top Hits: 1987", in 1994, when I heard "With or Without You". I became a hardcore fan three years later when I listened to "Discotheque" 5 times in a row.

I first discovered U2 because of their hit song "With or Without You" in 1987. Also, I fell in love with the song "I Still Haven't Found What I've Been Looking For" from the same album.

Became a U2 die-hard fan for life when I attended my very first rock concert ever on October 3, 1987 at an outdoor venue at the CNE Stadium in Toronto, Canada. Thank God it was the supergroup U2 that became my first concert ever in life. I've become a hardcore concert junkie ever since that first U2 concert, but no other rock group has matched that first time concert experience...

U2 sold me for life because of that phenomenal live concert. It was when I first noticed the electricity of the crowd when the opening notes to "Where the Streets Have No Name" started playing. The crowd just exploded into total mayhem and ecstasy at the same time.

It is this very song WTSHNN that does it for me at all the U2 live concerts because of this joyous, nostalgic feeling it brings me. That tune is just magical for me and that's all I have say concerning how I feel about U2.

Zoo Station.. it kicks off like nothing else and represents so well the complete change from R&H to Achtung Baby and the brilliance that I so love about U2..

Achtung baby :rockon:

hearing another artist cover WOWY. it made me go and buy the best of 1980-90. that guy murdered the song. there's only one U2 :cool:

AttnKleinkind said:
With or Without You enticed me to find out some more about the band, which then lead to me seeing about 30 seconds of the Pride video, and that's all it took.

Hear Hear!
But for me it was Beautiful Day and then watching the Pride video.

I remember it like it was yesterday... me staying up til the wee hours of the morning (think around 3-4AM) watching stupid video after video on this channel that's 75% static hoping to tape any good videos. Then I hear Pride and I'm hooked. I think it was a few good weeks I spent watching that stupid channel for it. (The Internet? :huh: What was that term?)

I was such a newb back then. Luckily I discovered dialup later on.

Same yet different note: Mulleted Bono dancing around in the end of Pride. :drool: :drool: :drool:

mysterious ways got me hooked to achtung baby and ultimately u2... i'd never heard of the band prior to picking up achtung baby when i was 13 (was i living under a rock?probably) ... bought it on a whim cuz i liked the cover art :gasp:
i knew i had played the song too often when i heard my mom
singing the chorus =\

Last edited:
Honestly, I was ten years old when RaH came out and all of my older siblings were playing it and JT. We live in the Desert of the SW United States, and we did a lot of road trips up to Utah and Las Vegas. Songs like Red Hill Mining Town and Hawkmoon 269 were life-changing and the moods they were able to create just mezmerized me. I was a U2 addict ever since.

It was at a friend's house and he played Pride. I knew I would be a life long fan after hearing the first 20 seconds of that song. Little did I know they had albums prior to UF. So I went out and bought those...I became a U2 Freak really early in my life, 1985.

A weird choice, but for me it was Electrical Storm! Nobody mentioned it and it's strange! But of course U2's music surrounded me all my life, it was played on TV and radio, and still my first record was bought after I heard Electrical Storm. The record was... ATYCLB!!! And a bit later I bought The Best Of 1900-2000 cassette.

Back
Top Bottom