Which trio of U2 albums is your favorite??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which album trio is your favorite?

• Boy-October-War (lots of passion and energy, plus tons of echo and reverb to boot!)

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • The Unforgettable Fire-Joshua Tree-Rattle & Hum (the most successful trio comercially, but does it f

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • Achtung Baby-Zooropa-POP (irony, sunglasses, cigars, experimensts, and finally something you can kin

Votes: 42 72.4%

• Total voters
my favourite period would be "Unforgettable Fire - Joshua Tree - Rattle & Hum"

not because it was succesfull commercially, but because those albums feature their best work

Last edited:
I don't think of them as trios at all. Boy, October and War are all very different from each other. Did you only group them together because they are the oldest and you rarely listen to them?

UF is very, very differerent from JT. AB is not the same as Zooropa and is very different from Pop. Putting AB in the same voting choice with Zooropa and Pop will guarantee victory and you know it. No matter what AB is attached to it's going to win. It's like attaching a crazy pork barrel project to an important health bill in congress- you HAVE to vote for the important bill, and the other things that might not have passed on their own will ride along on its coattails. Though I consider AB to be my favorite album overall, I did not vote for it here for that reason. Zooropa and Pop are my least favorites and that drug it down. I voted for UF/JT/RH even though I don't think they should be lumped together either.

My 3 favorites are AB, JT and ATYCLB, followed closely by UF and War, so none of the categories was good for me.

Since you left out ATYCLB, does that mean you are expecting another 'trilogy?'

I do expect U2 to release at least 2 more albums before they call it quits. I feel they have at least 2 more in them, and more hopefully.

I grouped them together in trios because if you think about it Achtung Baby, Zooropa, and POP, while they aren't the same album over and over, they all share similar qualities. Bono said Achtung Baby was an album for the heart, Zooropa for the mind and POP for the soul.

Boy, October, War do all have a similar sound to me. Very energetic, more or less straight-forward song writing, and much of the classic Edge guitar sound. It's not that I don't listen to them (although October is admittedly my least favorite album), but as I said before like AB-Z-P they have a similar feel/sound.

Even Adam in the Rattle & Hum movie referred to Boy, October, and War as the first phase of their career and UF, JT, and Rattle and Hum as a different phase. Hope this clears it up a bit Kitten.

U2kitten, people have been grouping the albums together into those trilogies even before Pop was released. This isn't an Achtung Zooropa thing, it's just a thing that gets done. But it's nice to hear that you disagree.

I have to say Boy, October and War all have a very similar sound. Sure they are very different, but they are also quite similar.

SkeeK said:

I have to say Boy, October and War all have a very similar sound. Sure they are very different, but they are also quite similar.

They're one, but they're not the same...

Pardon my corniness!

BOY and OCTOBER have a similar guitar sound from the Edge so those albums do sound alike. WAR is not really conected to them except in the sense that it took BOY and OCTOBER to achieve WAR. Another reason is that if you had to group the albums like this, WAR fits better with OCTOBER and BOY than it would with UF or JT.

even though the greatest hits album 80-90 was just slapped together (even if you're just a very casual U2 fan you would have been able to come up with that track listing) that album does show that most of U2's best loved tracks were made back then

even though the 90's showed more innovative production skills on U2 albums and Bono matured as a writer (which doesn't nesecarely mean he also wrote his best lyrics in the 90's) around the time of Unforgettable Fire / Joshua Tree U2 did hit their creative peak (just look at the quality of b-side material)

maybe it wasn't U2 at it's most innovative, but it was U2 doing what they do best - showing a lot of heart and soul

all this just being my opinion of course

Wow, I definately didn't think AB-Z-P would be out in front by so much. Most of the time I hear people saying they love UF the best and how much people don't like POP. And I'm also glad Boy-Oct-War got a vote. :cool:

Must go for UF, JT & RH - if for no other reason than listen to Bobo's voice which is at its peak I think - listen to UF, ASOH, Heartland, WOWY and Running to Stand Still just to name a few.
This is the time that Bono describes the music as ecstatic and it is!
- just glorious, soaring music.
Of course I'm a massive fan of October and AB. How anyone could not like October is beyond me - its a knockout!

Pamela

And a second vote for the Boy who went to War in October.

Without past no future,....

I choose the Achtung Baby trio just because they are the ones that got me into U2. All the records are great, but those are the ones that hooked me!!:yes: :sexywink:

51% of my time I listen to the AB-Z-P trio and the rest of the time I listen to B-O-W........I voted for the third trio, but I already regret it when seeing that only two people voted for the first three albums. :scream:

Back
Top Bottom