Which trio of U2 albums is your favorite?? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Which album trio is your favorite?
Boy-October-War (lots of passion and energy, plus tons of echo and reverb to boot!) 2 3.45%
The Unforgettable Fire-Joshua Tree-Rattle & Hum (the most successful trio comercially, but does it float your boat?) 14 24.14%
Achtung Baby-Zooropa-POP (irony, sunglasses, cigars, experimensts, and finally something you can kinda dance to) 42 72.41%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2002, 12:28 AM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 10:13 PM
Which trio of U2 albums is your favorite??

It seems like U2's albums have come in trios. With each set having a similar feel that is unique. So which is your favorite?

Old 06-22-2002, 09:08 AM   #2
you are what you is

Local Time: 12:13 AM
my favourite period would be "Unforgettable Fire - Joshua Tree - Rattle & Hum"

not because it was succesfull commercially, but because those albums feature their best work

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 06-22-2002, 10:44 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:13 PM
AB-Z-P...Because 2 of my top 3 are listed there!
Old 06-22-2002, 11:00 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
my favourtite period would be "Unforgettable Fire - Joshua Tree - Rattle & Hum"

not because it was succesfull commercially, but because those albums feature their best work
ditto
Old 06-22-2002, 11:19 AM   #5
Kid A

the 90s trio of Achtung Baby/ Zooropa/ Pop wins easily, clearly the band's best work to date
Old 06-22-2002, 11:52 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

I don't think of them as trios at all. Boy, October and War are all very different from each other. Did you only group them together because they are the oldest and you rarely listen to them?

UF is very, very differerent from JT. AB is not the same as Zooropa and is very different from Pop. Putting AB in the same voting choice with Zooropa and Pop will guarantee victory and you know it. No matter what AB is attached to it's going to win. It's like attaching a crazy pork barrel project to an important health bill in congress- you HAVE to vote for the important bill, and the other things that might not have passed on their own will ride along on its coattails. Though I consider AB to be my favorite album overall, I did not vote for it here for that reason. Zooropa and Pop are my least favorites and that drug it down. I voted for UF/JT/RH even though I don't think they should be lumped together either.

My 3 favorites are AB, JT and ATYCLB, followed closely by UF and War, so none of the categories was good for me.

Since you left out ATYCLB, does that mean you are expecting another 'trilogy?'
Old 06-22-2002, 03:10 PM   #7
The Fly

I do expect U2 to release at least 2 more albums before they call it quits. I feel they have at least 2 more in them, and more hopefully.

I grouped them together in trios because if you think about it Achtung Baby, Zooropa, and POP, while they aren't the same album over and over, they all share similar qualities. Bono said Achtung Baby was an album for the heart, Zooropa for the mind and POP for the soul.

Boy, October, War do all have a similar sound to me. Very energetic, more or less straight-forward song writing, and much of the classic Edge guitar sound. It's not that I don't listen to them (although October is admittedly my least favorite album), but as I said before like AB-Z-P they have a similar feel/sound.

Even Adam in the Rattle & Hum movie referred to Boy, October, and War as the first phase of their career and UF, JT, and Rattle and Hum as a different phase. Hope this clears it up a bit Kitten.
Old 06-22-2002, 03:27 PM   #8
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

U2kitten, people have been grouping the albums together into those trilogies even before Pop was released. This isn't an Achtung Zooropa thing, it's just a thing that gets done. But it's nice to hear that you disagree.

I have to say Boy, October and War all have a very similar sound. Sure they are very different, but they are also quite similar.
Old 06-22-2002, 03:45 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by SkeeK

I have to say Boy, October and War all have a very similar sound. Sure they are very different, but they are also quite similar.
They're one, but they're not the same...

Pardon my corniness!
Old 06-22-2002, 04:29 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

BOY and OCTOBER have a similar guitar sound from the Edge so those albums do sound alike. WAR is not really conected to them except in the sense that it took BOY and OCTOBER to achieve WAR. Another reason is that if you had to group the albums like this, WAR fits better with OCTOBER and BOY than it would with UF or JT.
Old 06-22-2002, 06:13 PM   #11
Refugee

Although it varies depending my mood, I'm more keen to the AB-Zooropa-Pop era, in my opinion is U2 at its best, streaching the canvas.
Old 06-22-2002, 06:34 PM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer
the 90s trio of Achtung Baby/ Zooropa/ Pop wins easily, clearly the band's best work to date

:lemon:
Old 06-22-2002, 06:45 PM   #13
you are what you is

Local Time: 12:13 AM
even though the greatest hits album 80-90 was just slapped together (even if you're just a very casual U2 fan you would have been able to come up with that track listing) that album does show that most of U2's best loved tracks were made back then

even though the 90's showed more innovative production skills on U2 albums and Bono matured as a writer (which doesn't nesecarely mean he also wrote his best lyrics in the 90's) around the time of Unforgettable Fire / Joshua Tree U2 did hit their creative peak (just look at the quality of b-side material)

maybe it wasn't U2 at it's most innovative, but it was U2 doing what they do best - showing a lot of heart and soul

all this just being my opinion of course
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 06-22-2002, 07:10 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:13 PM

I seriously cant choose which ones of the three that are my fave because I like all of them!
Old 06-22-2002, 08:26 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I'm glad somebody finally voted for Boy-October-War...It was looking pretty lonely up there with a big zero!